Y Juction Box

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Y Juction Box

Postby deadguise » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:26 pm

I bought one from Hard truckers awhile back and got reamed by some members of this board for not making it myself. I opened it up and there's not much to it. If I had a decent soldering iron I could have made it for way less than what I paid for, however, it is well built. I think Waldo has a schematic of one which he posted on an ealier thread.
deadguise

Postby waldo041 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:57 pm

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby myoung6923 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:14 pm

Here's a simple diagram of a box that I made
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby Chuckles » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:14 am

Slightly off-topic, but what type of Y cable would people reccommend? All I can find on the Internets is the Hosa, which appears to be pretty flimsy.

Better to make one myself?
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby deadguise » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:42 pm

Monster Cable makes a Y cord too but there's the stereo cord option...
deadguise

Postby playingdead » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:18 pm

Redco in CT made me a pair of Y cables, plus the custom ones for my pedal tray, etc.

http://www.redco.com

I picked up a Monster Y cable from Guitar Center, it lives in my cord bag as a last resort. Cheap plastic molded thing.

Depends on your setup; before I went to a rack, I had a Pedal Pad pedal board, which has a routing box built in, so I used to plug the ends of the Y into the first and last pedal, and the guitar cable into the Pedal Pad. Then I ran a single cable from the Pedal Pad to the amp, so I was "tethered" to the Pedal Pad with no cords going behind me to my rig. Now I plug the Y into the GCX behind me as well as the straight guitar cord. I'm pretty comfortable with the hard wiring in the GCX for my needs.

The downside to these junction boxes if you're using a pedal board is it takes up space on there, and it's two more (short) patch cables that potentially can go out on you in a gig situation. It's a pick-your-poison deal. Jerry's effects loop is beautifully simple and works perfectly, but it is something of a wiring hassle. Eventually, you have to split everything off. And you still need a cable going back to the amp if your effects are in front of you.

Be nice to get it happening wirelessly, wouldn't it?
playingdead

Postby waldo041 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:54 pm

playingdead wrote:Be nice to get it happening wirelessly, wouldn't it?

theoretically, it could. 3 individually tuned, wireless receivers and transmitters. one for each signal(amp, send and receive). it probably would help to have volume adjustments on all three units to get them to mix well together. but it should work with seperated frequencies.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby playingdead » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:03 pm

One transponder on my back, and two in my pockets!

I wonder if Jerry would have been climbing up the speaker stacks like Bobby used to when he went wireless?
playingdead

Postby jdsmodulus » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:14 pm

just as a side note I sometimes use xwire for wireless and it sounds better than any cable ive tried but its older and the belt pack can be a little testy and theres no replacement for it that I know of but it usually will hold up for a whole show but I go wired in rehersal
jdsmodulus

Postby Buck Webster » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:51 am

This guy seems to have it all figured out. Not only is it the Y-junction box for the loop, a thru connection to the amp line, but he also adds a toggle switch so you can easily hook up a non-loop-equipped guitar into the same rig. Pretty simple and pretty smart.

viewtopic.php?f=334&t=5601

Buck
Buck Webster
welcome
welcome

Postby paulinnc » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:07 pm

Buck Webster wrote:This guy seems to have it all figured out. Not only is it the Y-junction box for the loop, a thru connection to the amp line, but he also adds a toggle switch so you can easily hook up a non-loop-equipped guitar into the same rig. Pretty simple and pretty smart.

viewtopic.php?f=334&t=5601

Buck

Read page 1 of this thread.
paulinnc

Postby Buck Webster » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:01 am

Aha.

I assume those links on page 1 that go to "The Gear Page" are showing the same box. I'm not registered at The Gear Page, so I never saw what those links were referring to. I apparently linked to the same thing, except within this RUKIND forum. So forgive the redundancy. I actually work for the Department of Redundancy Department.

Still on topic, the HT/Parish Y-box is kind of funny. Waldo points out that it's about a $12 dollar project. I calculated more like $8.50, and that's using good parts. It can be built in about 7 minutes with a drill and a soldering iron, 3 jacks and a Hammond box. This Godfrey Daniels box has more going on. It's got more jacks and a switch to boot. The Hard Truckers/Parish box at least looks to be nicely done, good jacks, nice graphic, etc. For the non DIY person I guess. It just seems that if someone has enough savvy to put a loop in their guitar and build cables, they should be able to make a little splitter box.

Buck
Buck Webster
welcome
welcome

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion