Y Juction Box

Chat about Equipment Info

Y Juction Box

Postby bpg3 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:30 pm

I need to pick up a Y juction box for my UGB. Hard truckers makes one but they are currently out of stock. Does anyone out there know of any other similar brands they can recommend?
bpg3
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Re: Y Juction Box

Postby hogan » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:12 pm

I'll make you one for 25 bucks.
It won't have the fancy paint job, or say hardtruckers on it but it will do the Job all the same. Function before form, mon ami. ~MJH
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby bpg3 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:50 am

Thanks Hogan but I pick one up yesterday at a local music store. It's made by Rickenbacker and works great. The search is over!!
bpg3
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby Emoto » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:46 am

What purpose does this box serve in this application? Still learning...
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:59 pm

the box is an option if you are running a effects loop on your guitar. the box splits the effect signal output from your guitar into a "send" and "receive" to your effects rack. A splitter box allows one to just use a stereo cable from guitar to the splitter box as opposed to a "Y" cable (a cable with a stereo jack on one end that splits to two mono jacks). I have the HT box and it's really sharp looking but if you own a drill and soldering iron doing a DIY one isn't too tough, in my case I bought one because I'm doing my best to stimulate the economy by buying a bunch of guitar gear. :lol:

Hey just for a little more illumination did Garcia use a Y cable or have a splitter box?
Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Postby playingdead » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:13 am

According to Steve Parish, he used a splitter. My signal gets split by the GCX, so I am happy to have the split Y cable.

Andrew, I can't believe South Shore still has your PRS Jerrycaster, you must be jonesing to get your hands on it! Bob said it's still waiting for the custom pickguard. Have you played it yet?
playingdead

Postby Emoto » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:31 am

Perhaps if we all go in and loom menacingly....

But seriously, at this point why not just ask Dick to cut a pickguard for you?
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby waldo041 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:04 am

playingdead wrote:According to Steve Parish, he used a splitter. My signal gets split by the GCX, so I am happy to have the split Y cable.

i believe parish is confused. he used a splitter for the amp/tuner mono cable. it's clearly seen on top of jerry's 80's and 90's rack. it was used to completely isolate the tuner from the signal path. it uses a toggle switch to switch the signal to either the amp or the tuner. it also provided for a muted signal when in tuner mode. jerry's stereo cable with the send and receive signals was one cable and was split inside his john cutler made effects switchers, unlike the 2 individual send and receives of the GCX. i used to have the split y cable also and i can tell you first hand 2 is way better then 3 cables off the guitar.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby playingdead » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:55 am

What's better about it, Waldo? Sonically or just for convenience and neater wiring? Isn't it essentially the same internal cable just wired to one jack instead of two?

I'm surprised they would have split the signal for the tuner straight from the guitar; I run my tuner off the effects loop; I can just turn off the guitar volume, engage the loop and tune silently that way. The tuner itself is never in the signal path because I take a second out of the GCX to get to it.

The HT website just says "The new Hard Truckers SP-1 ‘Y’ Junction Box is made like Big Steve used to make them for the Dead."
playingdead

Postby bpg3 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:59 am

The main reason I was looking for the splitter is to have only two cords. I was using three cords and they were way too cumbersome and would short out regularly. The splitter makes things much easier.
bpg3
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby waldo041 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:34 pm

playingdead wrote:What's better about it, Waldo? Sonically or just for convenience and neater wiring? Isn't it essentially the same internal cable just wired to one jack instead of two?

exactly for the reason i stated. 2 cables off the guitar is better then 3. yes it is for the neatness, and cost is a factor also. it's much easier to carry one spare cable then a y and 2 extra cables.

playingdead wrote:I'm surprised they would have split the signal for the tuner straight from the guitar;

he did. check out the beginning of this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQFeuAbLHro
at the right is his tuner, in the middle is a can of finger ease, then his tuner/ amp splitter with toggle. after he is done tuning you will see him flip it back to the amp.
in his nineties rack it sits on top of the rack to the left in front! and is shown here.
http://www.well.com/user/tkiriluk/Jg2sl71b.jpg

playingdead wrote:The HT website just says "The new Hard Truckers SP-1 ‘Y’ Junction Box is made like Big Steve used to make them for the Dead."

haven't heard a whole lot about steve parish and his electronic work for the dead, but i do recall glenn just put the hard truckers name on his cool cat cabs. they were hard trucker clones, but not the real deal, nor made by anyone from the original hard truckers. i don't want to go there again, but it is what it is. also cae sound sells this buffer called the CB1 made for jerrys tiger, but for some reason it's not the one in tiger? go figure. take a look for yourself, the preamp is under the tiger plate and looks NOTHING like a CB1 and the parts are different. BUT they sell a bunch with ole' john cutlers and jerrys name on it. same with hard truckers, put a name on it and it's authentic. i'm sure they sell quite a few. the fact is it's fraud, but they won't admit it. it could kill there businesses. besides what does a bunch of no brain deadheads know anyway, we were all too stoned to remember anything, and should buy what they sell us!

http://dozin.com/jers/guitars/tiger/tiger_schematic.htm

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:19 pm

...Ouch, does that mean that the Vinci strings I have framed on my wall didn't belong to JG? Oh well, anyhow Vic you bet I'm dying to get my hands on my axe, If you have any pull with those guys put in a good word would ya? and Bob I put in the call today for a sheet of tortoise shell pickguard if i can get it in Dick's hands before Xmas maybe I'll get my Franken-Tiger back sometime in early '09 . Who knows....
Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Postby paulinnc » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:50 am

I saw this over on the gear page. I think you guys would appreciate this.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=452519&highlight=Jerry+Garcia
paulinnc

Postby waldo041 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:06 am

paulinnc wrote:I saw this over on the gear page. I think you guys would appreciate this.

nice find and that' great price also!!!

all my guitars have the OBEL so i would not be in need of one, but got the itch to get one so i can use some of my buddies guitars from time to time.

thanks for sharing.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby paulinnc » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:12 pm

I am glad to see DIY stuff like this, I think it is really more in line with the spirit of what the GD were about. The guitars, cabinets, pedals, cables etc. are all able to built at home. I, myself don't have the tools, time or space to build all that stuff at home so I support things like this because it saves me a lot of headaches.

waldo041 wrote:
paulinnc wrote:I saw this over on the gear page. I think you guys would appreciate this.

nice find and that' great price also!!!

all my guitars have the OBEL so i would not be in need of one, but got the itch to get one so i can use some of my buddies guitars from time to time.

thanks for sharing.

peace,
waldo
paulinnc

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion