Bass player revisited

Chat about Equipment Info

Bass player revisited

Postby playingdead » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:38 pm

Guys, thanks for the hints on our bass player, I picked up a new direct box for him that we'll try to use, and tonight we're discussing putting one of his cabinets on the other side of the stage. Very helpful.

Ironically, though, I was listening today to a board tape from Dec. 2005, and he's loud as hell and all over the place, which reminds me why I really like his bass playing. Very Phil-like -- when you can hear him.

Interesting to hear how the band sounds with very different equipment, too; I was playing a thrown-together Jerrycaster based on a mid-80s American Strat with DiMarzios through a stock 2004 Vibrolux reissue with 2 JBL K-110 speakers and stock Fender tubes; rhythm player through a crappy 20 watt solid state Crate amp and a Mexi Strat. Sounds pretty damn good, too. Maybe I'll ditch the rack and Tiger to go back to that setup ;-)

http://www.playingdead.net/1223miss.mp3

Vic
playingdead

Re: Bass player revisited

Postby jeffm725 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:08 pm

It is the Vibrolux with the K's that are carrying the magic there. That is a sweet sounding amp and it is the K-110's that make the difference there. Those aren't stock are they?
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby jonarobb » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:25 pm

playingdead wrote:
Interesting to hear how the band sounds with very different equipment, too; I was playing a thrown-together Jerrycaster based on a mid-80s American Strat with DiMarzios through a stock 2004 Vibrolux reissue with 2 JBL K-110 speakers and stock Fender tubes; rhythm player through a crappy 20 watt solid state Crate amp and a Mexi Strat. Sounds pretty damn good, too. Maybe I'll ditch the rack and Tiger to go back to that setup ;-)

Vic

Your playing and phrasing sounded great on that rig. Unfortunately that lead tone sounds anemic and thin to me.

K's, when driven right, have a sweet compression and just a tad coloration when you really push em'. That doesn't come through on this recording.

Is there something going on with the way you've been miking the rigs all these years because with the 3 rigs I've heard you play through on various recordings you've posted, all are plagued with a rather thin tone lacking any real mids and bottom. I know people that have seen you live and said your tone in the room is phenominal but still a tad thin. Something is just not translating. I'm one of your biggest fans( Autograph please). This is only constructive. Nothing negative my brother, you absolutely got the mojo. You just need to figure out what's up.

I know you really love that 82' tone. I just spooled up the 1/2-Step from Compton Terrace in 82' and Jerry has some dirt and sustain there that you still need to poke around for...
Last edited by jonarobb on Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonarobb

Postby hogan » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:28 pm

playingdead wrote:Maybe I'll ditch the rack and Tiger to go back to that setup ;-)

Vic

I've been saying that since you switched. Stay w/ what works. Jerry did. ~MJH
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby GratefulPat » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:55 pm

i notice that as well in most of your recordings, that the tone comes off sort of thin and tinny sounding...once again, constructive criticism, nothing negative by any means because i only wish i had the talent/knowledge you have when it comes to sounding like jerry :cool:
Comes a time, when the blind man takes your hand and says "dont you see?"
GratefulPat

Postby playingdead » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:25 am

The K-110s aren't stock with the amp, I got 'em six years ago off a guy in California that was dismantling a bunch of huge pro sound towers ... these actually were mid-range drivers (allegedly) from the PA that was used at the US Festival in 1982, so I guess Jerry kind of played through 'em once. Wait, does that make them more valuable? LOL

Jeff, I need to get you up here some time, get some ears on my rig besides mine. A tone summit!

My tone was definitely thinner then -- but I'm pretty happy where I am now the last four gigs ... it's warmer and rounder on the lows. Still kind of bright on some of the recordings but it seems to cut pretty well in the room. (I have the overdrive tone just right, though.) I'm thinking about getting a 2X10 cab built for the K-110s and trying 'em live at a smaller venue sometime, though. Hope I don't blow them up.

http://playingdead.net/fat.mp3

http://playingdead.net/092008help.mp3
playingdead

Postby jonarobb » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:38 am

That solo in Help On The Way is blistering, freakin' nice.
jonarobb

Postby jeffm725 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:48 am

playingdead wrote:The K-110s aren't stock with the amp, I got 'em six years ago off a guy in California that was dismantling a bunch of huge pro sound towers ... these actually were mid-range drivers (allegedly) from the PA that was used at the US Festival in 1982, so I guess Jerry kind of played through 'em once. Wait, does that make them more valuable? LOL

Jeff, I need to get you up here some time, get some ears on my rig besides mine. A tone summit!

http://playingdead.net/fat.mp3

http://playingdead.net/092008help.mp3

your phrasing on those clips is impeccable vic. I love the low end snap on that short cc rider clip.

US festival speakers! I was at the US festival. I was only 15 years old but visiting an Uncle in California on family vacation at the perfect time! (I also went to Montego Bay Jamaica show the same year in a similiar great luck circumstance).

US festival was truly "breakfast in bed with the Grateful Dead" they started at like 9:30 am and the crowd (and the band) was still asleep. Very sluggish show. I remember it being brutally hot.

Would love to get together sometime. I will bring the Mesa Boogie I just acquired (with a K120 in it), cause I want to see how YOU sound through it.
I actually have been thinking that maybe Legion and you guys should do a "home and home" double bill sometime, and if your Bobby doesnt want to travel to CT, i'll cover :smile: And then you sit in for most of Legion's opening set, so the jerry parts sound actually right on for once! :hail:
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby playingdead » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:55 am

I've heard you cover Jerry, you don't need any help from me!

But a dual bill would be fun, we'll rent a theater or something.
playingdead

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:53 am

About your bass player... I've liked him on all the earlier shows I've heard. So he definitely can play a good Phil, the question is, why isn't he? Is he still listening to a lot of Dead?
Rusty the Scoob

Postby playingdead » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:10 pm

If I knew why ... LOL
playingdead

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion