Volume Pot issue

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Volume Pot issue

Postby bpg3 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:01 am

Hey Waldo,
I'm also interested in the Allesandro volumn pot. I have the CAE CB2 installed. Do you recommend the 25k audio pot for my set up? My current volumn pot is only sensitive within the first 10% of it's turn. After that there is very little difference in volumn. Also the current tone caps are these little tan colored cubes which have CK05 BX 223K stamped on them. The tiger wiring schem calls for .02uf caps. Should I have them replaced with the .02uf caps? Will there be a noticable in my tone? I'm looking forward to your answers.
Thanks
bpg3
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby waldo041 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:59 am

yes, a 25k audio(log) will work for you. as described in the geofx article, the tapers of cheaper pots are not one continuous curve. they are broken into 3 curved segments, and vary from pot to pot. the military spec'd versions, such as the allesandro(PEC) pot, are the continuous curved. and should be the same pot to pot. they are also sealed so, no contamination can enter it. and lastly the rotation life is way may more and should last a long, long time.

as for the tone caps. keep in mind, jerry used military version potentiometers(RV4-Type J Linear). He also used Ceramic Disc capacitors for his tone caps. the material is the key here, as well as the value. a .022uF, as you have, is so close you probably would not hear the difference. but since you will most likely change the material to ceramic disc, why not just order the .02uf's?

HTH.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby bpg3 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:29 am

Thanks Waldo!!!!
bpg3
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby bpg3 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:55 am

Hey Waldo,
A few more questions. I'm about to purchase the Allasandro 25k audio pot from ebay. You stated that Tiger had an RV4 Type J linear pot. Is these two very similar? Would the Allesando work just as well (if not better) than Tiger's RV4 Type J? What pot (brand,etc.) would you recommend to get as close to Tiger's?
bpg3
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby waldo041 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:43 am

the PEC pots are miltary spec'd RV4/Type J type. allesandro just stamps there name on the PEC pots. you will find without that Allesandro name on them the price will come in a little cheaper.

so, yes the allesandro linear pots will work and so will the PEC.(they are the same thing). i sometimes find clarostat or allen bradley 500k linears on ebay also.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion