My Do-it-yourself pedalboard

Chat about Equipment Info

My Do-it-yourself pedalboard

Postby monroe » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:08 pm

So I came into a little money, and rather than spend it on the pedal board I wanted, I decided to spend it on a bunch of pedals intead :cool:

So,for a total of $10 (for some velcro), I made my own pedalboard using some leftover scraps of gatorboard from my work.

I built a raised 2nd row to make the pedals easier to reach, and put in a cut out for my wah. Finally, I built it on an angle so that I could drill holes in the surface and run the cables underneath, to keep the clutter out of the way. For now, I'm powering everything with a Visual Sound 1 spot, until I can save up for a Pedal Power 2. The best part about is the gatorboard. It's extremely lightweight, yet still very strong. Without any pedals, it probably weighs about 2 pounds.

Take a look at the pics. What do you think?

monroe
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby waldo041 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:51 pm

:shock:

NICE!!!

what is and where can you get this gatorboard?

thanks.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby monroe » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:12 pm

oops. double post. See below
Last edited by monroe on Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monroe
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby monroe » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:18 pm

It's some wild stuff. It's basically some kind of styrofoam sandwiched between 2 pieces of some kind of thin cardboard or something. It doesn't sound all that great, but it's really very strong, as this picture indicates

I used a thin piece (I think maybe 1/8 inch) for the bottom piece, and 1/2 inch for the rest. Cut it with a circular saw, and put it together with super glue.

If you google it you can find it on the interweb. I think it's kind of expensive to buy though. We use it at my work, so I was lucky enough to get some scraps for free that I was able to use.
monroe
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:40 pm

Yeah well any piece of board can hold two stumps of legs with sneakers. Try standing a whole person on top of that stuff.
:-)

Very nice craftsmanship on the board btw.
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby jonarobb » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:11 pm

http://www.alcancompositesusa.com/prod_gatorfoam.html

Nice job on the board. I like to the raised tier and the spot for the wah/volume.

How do you like the Carbon Copy MXR Delay?
jonarobb

Postby bucketorain » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:49 am

do you know where one could buy this?
YOU KNOW IT'S GONNA GET STRANGER
www.otrpresents.ca
bucketorain
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby monroe » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:55 pm

jonarobb wrote:How do you like the Carbon Copy MXR Delay?

So far it's awesome. I just got it yesterday. So far though, I'm loving. Big difference (in a good way) in the analog vs digital delay.
monroe
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby monroe » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:00 pm

bucketorain wrote:do you know where one could buy this?

not sure. You might be able to find it at craft stores or something. I think a lot of people use it to make miniatures and doll houses. We use it at my work for mounting and framing photo prints. I'm sure you can order it on the interweb. I think it's kind of expensive though.

One thing to note: while the board is quite sturdy and works well, it probably wouldn't hold up to the rigors of regular gigging. That's not an issue for me at this point, as we aren't gigging any more this year, so it'll work fine until Christmas, when hopefully Santa will bring me something more permanent.
monroe
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion