Speaker selection

Chat about Equipment Info

Speaker selection

Postby High Peaks » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:30 pm

I was curious if anyone here might have an audio clip of Weber Neomags in a band setting. I am really interested in them, i want to hear them in a live situation.
High Peaks

Postby strumminsix » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:34 pm

What exactly are ya looking for? Jerry or Bobby?

I can likely find something of me doing Bobby stuff.
strumminsix

Postby High Peaks » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:40 am

I play lead in my band, but i just want to hear them. So any application would be fine.
High Peaks

Postby strumminsix » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:38 am

I'll see what I can do. But I until then all I can do is relate that gearheads to soundguys to my custom amp builder (Fargen) say they sound just like JBLs and some even thought they were.
strumminsix

Postby High Peaks » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:31 am

How do you like the Fargen BTW. How do you like it compared to the Showman and what are the tonal differences?Knowing they are two seperate beasts!!
High Peaks

Postby spacehead333 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:56 am

Random question..What would be a good speaker to replace the one in a fender hot rod deluxe?I think mine is about to go.
steal your face right off your head
http://www.myspace.com/reelfootmusic
spacehead333

Postby strumminsix » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:06 pm

High Peaks wrote:How do you like the Fargen BTW. How do you like it compared to the Showman and what are the tonal differences?Knowing they are two seperate beasts!!

Dude, I love it! He says, "it's like a half a twin plus the port arthur rectifier". He based it off the standard AB763 preamp but used 2 6L6s and a port arthur rectifier which is basically saying 50% is tube rect, 50% diode. You get the bloom and a wee bit of spongey but no sag nor decreased headroom.

Compared to my Dual Showman Reverb tonal near equivalents. The DSR is slightly stiffer and more unforgiving (as the Twin) but it is so minute. It has a slightly sweeter sound and zero ear fatigue. My tech said it has all top-notch components and will outlive me.

They really aren't 2 seperate beasts at all. More like brothers. In fact the cab Fargen uses has a projection like I've NEVER seen in any 1x12 config. It broadcasts HUGE! You'd think I had a 2x12 up there.
strumminsix

Postby High Peaks » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:41 am

Spacemoose-

Depends on what you want. I typically use JBL's but i am also a huge fan of Celestion Blues or Gold. Lower watts but they would be perfect in a FDR.

Strummin-

Awesome. I have really been looking into a nice 1 x 12 combo. I think i just put Fargen on my list of possible choices. How is the attack response on that? If you dig in is it noticeable? I really want to get a nice TWo Rock, but unfortunately i don't have two rock money! :(
High Peaks

Postby strumminsix » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:27 pm

High Peaks wrote:Strummin-

Awesome. I have really been looking into a nice 1 x 12 combo. I think i just put Fargen on my list of possible choices. How is the attack response on that? If you dig in is it noticeable? I really want to get a nice TWo Rock, but unfortunately i don't have two rock money! :(

The amp is amazing. It sits perfectly on my rack and weighs like 35lbs. Tons of headroom, tons of tone, looks beautiful, made with super high quality components.

Regarding responsiveness....

Can be very snappy or smooth with pick attack.

Deliciously responsive to the volume knob.

The front end can OD when ya dig in.

It's responsiveness is almost tasty as an fx pedal, really.

It is slightly more forgiving then a Twin but tighter than a Bandmaster or Deluxe Reverb.

I had a custom switch installed which allows me to either have it emulate the input 1 or 2 (padded) like fender.

For mine, custom, he used a Port Arthur rectifier which is basically says half the recitification is done by tube the other half diodes. It gives ya the tube rect bloom and snap but without the sag or decreased headroom.
strumminsix

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion