Mounting pedals in a rack

Chat about Equipment Info

Mounting pedals in a rack

Postby T3RRAPIN » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:13 am

I am in the process of going from a pedal board to an effects switcher. So i need to put my fx in a rack case. The way i want to do it is like Jer's rig where the fx are front mounted on blank sheet metal rack spaces. This way they are accessible if i need to tweak them on stage. I noticed that some of you have done this and i was wondering how you went about it and if you have any tips. I want to end up with something like Jer's 90's rack (see pic on dozins site) but maybe half the size. Ideas?
-Dylan
T3RRAPIN
Vince
Vince

Postby strumminsix » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:43 am

Half the size will be tough. I have mine on a shelf which allowed me to use an effects rack vs. an amp rack. An effects rack is more shallow, hence lighter and takes up less stage space.

There are lots of ways to mount depending on what you desire. I see 2 primary schools of thought:

1 - Jerryesque with a faceplate so only the tops are exposed

2 - Mounting to a surface

IMO, the best way to do this would be mount the pedals to a series of rack spacers/vents using unlinked bike chain pieces through the original pedals screw then into the vent with washers to preserve the pedals while securing it. Then be sure to use gromets to ensure you don't strip the cabling.
strumminsix

Postby Rev_Roach » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:03 pm

I put velcro strips on a wooden plank, but somehow i sense you're looking for a little bit more
Rev_Roach
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Postby mutant_dan » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:19 pm

I work in the computer industry and we set up 2 rail racks in a lot of telco rooms. We use a lot of standard rack mount gear specifically designed for telecommunications.

I would suggest looking at a rack mount keyboard tray. They are built so the can be pulled out and pushed back in for top mounting..

or just some standard shelving.

Then there are these blank panels that can be modified for front mounting.

You can also find some nice rack mounted cabinet lights that are really cool. All this stuff is pretty cheap and fits right into any standard rack.

Just a sample from http://www.nteinc.com/unicom/wiring/racks.html
mutant_dan
Bobby
Bobby

Postby T3RRAPIN » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:20 pm

I like the idea of using blank rack spaces and vents with bike chain. I dont think half the size will be too hard because it is going to be for effects only and my amp will sit on top of the case.. this is why i cant put the fx on the top in a rack/mixer type case. The only rack fx in it will be my DT 1 tuner, power conditioner, and custom effects switcher. I dont want to use a drawer because that means a little extra cable for every pedal if you want to pull it out.

Right now im thinking of mounting some rack rails about 4 inches deeper into a case, then adding blank rack spaces to mount the pedals to.. or something along those lines.. thanks for the ideas.. keep em comin.
-Dylan
T3RRAPIN
Vince
Vince

Postby T3RRAPIN » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:30 pm

Also, can anyone recommend a good mid sized rack case with wheels and removable front and back. Maybe around 3-4 ft. and it has to be able to support my amp on top of it(apprx 55lbs.) What are you guys using and how do you like it.
-Dylan
T3RRAPIN
Vince
Vince

Postby strumminsix » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:44 pm

T3RRAPIN wrote:I like the idea of using blank rack spaces and vents with bike chain. I dont think half the size will be too hard because it is going to be for effects only and my amp will sit on top of the case.. this is why i cant put the fx on the top in a rack/mixer type case. The only rack fx in it will be my DT 1 tuner, power conditioner, and custom effects switcher. I dont want to use a drawer because that means a little extra cable for every pedal if you want to pull it out.

Right now im thinking of mounting some rack rails about 4 inches deeper into a case, then adding blank rack spaces to mount the pedals to.. or something along those lines.. thanks for the ideas.. keep em comin.

Check this out:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v173/ ... 799317.pbw

Don't confuse naming conventions with applications.

I'd highly recommend these:
http://www.midi-classics.com/h/h1036.htm
(don't know this on-line company though)
strumminsix

Postby T3RRAPIN » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:30 pm

that is a sweet setup but the fx are so low to the ground if you have to tweak them. Im thinking of a case like that but twice the size and on wheels. then th fx will be mounted near the top and if i have extra space at the bottom thats great cause i can store the foot controller for the fx switcher there when i need to pack up for gigs.
-Dylan
T3RRAPIN
Vince
Vince

Postby strumminsix » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:49 pm

T3RRAPIN wrote:that is a sweet setup but the fx are so low to the ground if you have to tweak them. Im thinking of a case like that but twice the size and on wheels. then th fx will be mounted near the top and if i have extra space at the bottom thats great cause i can store the foot controller for the fx switcher there when i need to pack up for gigs.

Here is a 14U rack:
http://store.roadreadycases.com/dyn_pro ... D&k=113878

70lbs with wheels - unloaded

Your rack will be more than 100lbs when loaded.

I see RR now makes larger size Effects racks:
http://store.roadreadycases.com/dyn_pro ... D&k=113881

Not trying to talk you out of it just want you to be informed. My small rack weighs 60lbs + and turns into a pain in the ass with stairs and gigs with weird load ins.
strumminsix

Postby High Peaks » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:23 pm

When i had my rig all dolled up, i used some left over 1/4" birch i had and cut it to fit the opening of a 16 space rack case.. I put my switcher on the top and mounted my Qtron, GE-7, OC-2, Phase 90, and dist. on the birch mounted in the front by using pan head screw into the 19" rack. the 1/4" fit nice and snug in the space behind the rack.. I drilled small holes and used zipties to secure the pedals on the vertical board.I also put velcro on the board and pedals to help. I've also seen a guy use metal cage material to mount them.
High Peaks

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:29 pm

A few years ago I built a Garcia effect racks out of the Baltic Birch and it came out pretty nice, due to an unfortunate chain of events it got left behind in a moving snafu. Any how they are not to tough to put together and really nice looking when done, I know it's a big set up to take to gigs but it's tough as nails and totally takes care of the problem of being able to futz with your stuff.

Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion