Help With Broken Pickup Adjustment!

Chat about Equipment Info

Help With Broken Pickup Adjustment!

Postby jeffm725 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:32 am

OK,
I have an interesting thing that has never happened to me (ar anyone else I have seen) before.

I was going to raise the height on my middle super 2. I started turning the screw and one side of the pickup fell into the mount.

"No biggie" I thought, the height adjustment screw just came out of the hole on the pickup. This has happened to me a couple times before when I have gotten a little extreme with adjusting. So I take off the Pickup Ring and go to put back in the screw and spring. I line it up with the hole (doing this with the spring on, by yourself, holding up the spring with one hand, trying to keep it over the hole and screwing with the other hand is one of my least favorite tasks in the world, but I digress.

Anyway, I get everything lined up, screw it in a few turns and reattach the pickup ring. As soon as I started adjusting the height, the thing popped out again. I knew it wasn't because I over-adjusted, there was plenty of screw left in the hole.

So I take everything off again, and repeat the procedure. This time I line the screw/spring up with the hole and puch down a little and the screw goes right through the hole! Without turning the screw.

I thought maybe the threading on the screw itself got stripped, so I grabbed an extra screw, same thing.
It seems that the threading on the actual hole on the pickup has been stripped out.You can just slide a screw in and out of it with no resistance whatsoever.
How in the world can I fix this issue?

I am not excatly the most mechanically inclined person. I can wire guitars, and build my own effects
but how to fix a hole that has lost its threading? I am clueless!

Any advice?
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby RiverRat » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:49 am

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiverRat

Postby milobender » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:18 am

The threads in your pickup mount are what is refered to as "stripped" All the female threads are gone. You can do as the post above suggests, though I would stay away from just glue and trying to rethread thru it, it will probably strip out fairly soon again. I'd use a slightly oversized/re-tapped screw, or glue a small nut on the bottom of the bracket that the existing screw will work with, in other words, glue a nut, with the same threads as the screw, on the bottom of the pickup mounting bracket, lined carefully up with the existing stripped out hole. :cool:
Everything we know is wrong...
www.9mileskid.com
milobender
Jerry
Jerry

Postby alcorelectric » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:26 am

Go to an electrical supply.
get a 6/32 x 1 1/4" round head screw.
buy the corresponding tap.
Tap the the two holes in the PU.
Done.
Total cost less than $5.00