Octave pedal advice

Chat about Equipment Info

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:51 am

jeffm725 wrote:yup, Vic has it nailed.

The Digitech Whammy Jerry used with some interesting results in the Early 90's.

The best 2 examples you can hear it on are various versions of Corrina with the Dead, and Eyes of the Maker with JGB.
It was more prevalent after 93.
At first listen on the Corrinas you would swear he was playing slide, but it isnt slide, He is using the Whammy to "slide up" to his target notes.

They Eyes of the Makers are even more pronounced and liberal in regards to the use of the Whammy.
When he was on his game he could make it do some really neat things within the context of the song.
When he was off his game (which unfortunately was more times than not in that period) it had the propensity to be a sloppy out of tune sounding fiasco.

Also great WH-1 on "Shining Star"s of the 93ish era... by summer 95 he seemed to use it as a carpal tunnel crutch for every jammy tune: Bird Song, Shakedown, FotM, you name it.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Emoto » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:55 am

Well, it sounds like something fun to check out next time I am in a store that carries them. Thanks, guys for solving a minor mystery I've carried around for a long time.
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby jeffm725 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:09 am

tigerstrat wrote:
Also great WH-1 on "Shining Star"s of the 93ish era... by summer 95 he seemed to use it as a carpal tunnel crutch for every jammy tune: Bird Song, Shakedown, FotM, you name it.

Yeah forgot about those shining stars, some good ones out there with the whammy.
You are also correct about the 'crutch' aspect in 95.Man was that sad. He was playing his guitar chops in "shorthand", and was doing excessive whammy stuff to cover up.
That is also why the ballads (Stella's, Standin on the moons, so many roads etc..) in the last year were so vocally powerful. He had all but lost his ability to emote thorugh his guitar playing, so when the ballad slot came up, he would pour his heart into it vocally. The vocals were the only method of musical conveyance of emotion that Jer had left.
There were some stella's and moons in that last year that were literal tear jerkers.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby sillydog2 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:31 am

I totally agree about the vocal thing replacing his ability to blow us away with the guitar. Up in the Northwest in May of 95, you can hear the whammy thing all over the place as if Jerry had a new toy that he was trying out. It was kind of cool in spots but he definitely did not have it down. There were a few times, most notably during Stella Blue in Seattle over that run where he used his voice to really get the crowd going instead of his guitar at the end. Me and my buddy actually talked about it at the time not knowing of course how bad off Jerry was and would be gone in about 3 months, very sad in hindsight. We saw 5 shows during that run and only the last night in Seattle was what you would call a good show as a whole and that was only because of the setlist, not really because it was incredible musically. I miss you Jerry!
sillydog2
tiger
tiger

Postby jackr » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:52 pm

Not a big fan of the boss octave pedals.

I love the EH Micro Pog - not cheap though.
On tour '76 - '81
Clean & Sober since '87
jackr

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion