Postby bucketorain » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:26 pm

jerry used the oc2 octave...i have this one, works well
YOU KNOW IT'S GONNA GET STRANGER
www.otrpresents.ca
bucketorain
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby pappypgh » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:27 pm

I LOVED the OC-2 Octaver (original one). The 2nd version was still good. The OC-3 sucks, IMO...WAY tempermental.

I bought one before I really gave it a good test-drive and was INSANELY disappointed. They don't make the OC-2 anymore. SO, the guy at the music store recommended the ElectroHarmonix Octave Multiplexer. I really, really love it.

I love throwin' it on WITH my Overdrive/Distortion AND the Q-Tron during the solo in "Cats Under The Stars"....very nice and, once you get the hang of it, it's really great. Good variations and a sub, as well. :cool:
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
pappypgh

Postby waldo041 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:02 pm

i have another newer suggestion, i think jerry might have liked.

the octron!

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:08 pm

Fox Rox Octron is simply amazing- the tops, or at least equal to the MuTron, which imho is far superior to the Bosses.

Very few have been made, and I would have never spent the money, but through the generosity of a friend whom I was in a position to help complete a purchase of several guitars, I received one as a mind-blowing gift.

Waldo, did you acquire one?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby deadguise » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:10 pm

Boss OC-2, affordable and available
deadguise

Postby waldo041 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:23 pm

tigerstrat wrote:Waldo, did you acquire one?

no, i have only had the priviledge of running one thru it's paces, but it will be the next purchase once i can get the funds. i bet i can guess where yours came from!!KuR!!!

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby jeffm725 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:12 am

pappypgh wrote:I LOVED the OC-2 Octaver (original one). The 2nd version was still good. The OC-3 sucks, IMO...WAY tempermental.

Interesting take on the OC-3. To each his own. I have had no problem getting the OC-3 to do excatly what I need it to do and with a tone that is very pleasing to the ear. I actually prefer it to my OC-2.

The Foxx Roxx, I have had the pleasure of trying and it truly is the BOMB. Would love to have one.

The thing is, with a wife and daughter, I can hardly justify buying a 3rd Octave pedal! Since I barely use an Octave anyway (I dont use it in my Bobby rig and in my band where I play the Jerry the only song I use it on is Cats, we mostly tend to play the 74-77 Garcia Band style so I barely use any effects anyway just a cranked twin).
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby monroe » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:20 am

Thanks for the pointers.

Anyone know what the difference is between the OC-2 Octaver and the OC-2 Octave. As far as I can tell, Boss after making the Octaver for a few years, decided to use sparkly paint on the casing, and drop the "r" from the end of the name. Any other differences between the two?

I think I may have read somewhere that the Octaver was made in Japan and the Octave in Taiwan, but I'm not sure about that.
monroe
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:20 am

The thing about the Boss is that it does a great octave DOWN 1, then it has that totally useless (imho) Oct DOWN 2 feature, but no octave UP, which is often subtly applied, but an important part of the flavor imho.

The MuTron has an UP/DOWN balance or blend pot, while the Octron has three separate level controls for DOWN, UP and DIRECT. Ideal! Minor adjustment to the UP in addition to your OD and you get that elusive fuzzy edgy distortion. Crank it and you get the ring mod. mayhem.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Phatboy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:39 am

try sum of the line 6 pedals. They are lil expensive but really cool
Phatboy

Postby Emoto » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:03 pm

Has anyone tried a BOSS Harmonist H-2?

I bought one a long time ago (without knowledge or input from anyone) after hearing Garcia do something that sounded like a pedal steel with his normal guitar. I have no idea what the hell he was doing, but I bought this thing thinking I could duplicate the sound. That never happened, but it does seem to make a good octave down sound. It also lets you select the song key and make a second voice at intervals like a third, a fifth, etc. It has two voices and a volume level for each one, so there is a lot of flexibility.
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

wehen jerry first started using the OC

Postby kenneybonz » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:39 am

Hi.. i wanted to hear back to when jerry first started with the OC.. anyone sorta recall any shows and song combos from the era when he first started with it? i'd just like to hear the beginning of it... i'd heard what i thought it was on some old shows but wasn't sure if i was before his era..
tk
Hipsters, Tripsters, real cool chicksters, Everyone's doin' that rag.
kenneybonz
Billy
Billy

Postby playingdead » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:07 am

Emoto wrote:Has anyone tried a BOSS Harmonist H-2?

I bought one a long time ago (without knowledge or input from anyone) after hearing Garcia do something that sounded like a pedal steel with his normal guitar. I have no idea what the hell he was doing, but I bought this thing thinking I could duplicate the sound. That never happened, but it does seem to make a good octave down sound. It also lets you select the song key and make a second voice at intervals like a third, a fifth, etc. It has two voices and a volume level for each one, so there is a lot of flexibility.

That was probably his Digitech Whammy pedal, which does some nutty pitch bend effects.

I have the OC2, which seems to get the job done.
playingdead

Postby jeffm725 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:26 am

yup, Vic has it nailed.

The Digitech Whammy Jerry used with some interesting results in the Early 90's.

The best 2 examples you can hear it on are various versions of Corrina with the Dead, and Eyes of the Maker with JGB.
It was more prevalent after 93.
At first listen on the Corrinas you would swear he was playing slide, but it isnt slide, He is using the Whammy to "slide up" to his target notes.

They Eyes of the Makers are even more pronounced and liberal in regards to the use of the Whammy.
When he was on his game he could make it do some really neat things within the context of the song.
When he was off his game (which unfortunately was more times than not in that period) it had the propensity to be a sloppy out of tune sounding fiasco.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion