some noob amplifier questions...

Chat about Equipment Info

some noob amplifier questions...

Postby caspersvapors » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:49 pm

why would one want to play through multiple amps? how exactly does this work? for example i was reading how john mayer has two two-rock amps and a fender vibroverb on stage with him. whats the point of jerry using both the blackface and silverface pre-amps in his rig?
caspersvapors

Postby CaptainTrips » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:59 pm

Reamping makes the sound HUGE!!!!!!
CaptainTrips

Postby playingdead » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:20 am

Well, Jerry's second Twin head was just a backup, he didn't use both at the same time.

But different amps have characteristic sounds; some players might use a switcher with an old Deluxe Reverb for a clean Fender tone, and a Dumble or Two Rock for a creamier overdrive, a Marshall or Soldano for high gain, etc. etc. etc.

Steve Kimock brings a lot of amps on the road with him.

Some guys do a WDW (wet-dry-wet rig) where they'll have two "wet" amps for a stereo effects onstage, with a third "dry" amp in the center for their basic tone.
playingdead

Postby Dozin » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:21 am

reamping or is he using a switcher to activate which amp he wants for different tones?

Jerry's blackface was a backup
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby RiverRat » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:57 am

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiverRat

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:32 am

Dozin wrote:Jerry's blackface was a backup

The ubiquitous "two Twin chassis-in-one Twin combo cabinet" preamp unit made its first appearance at the Day On The Green, Oakland 10/9/76

SF as the primary and the BF as secondary or backup has for years been the popular theory,(which I am not disputing), however lately I've been noticing more and more stage pics from 70's/80's-era shows where he's plugged into the BF head. Yeah, I know I used to post and date every little observation I made... I've fallen off my game. Anyway, he seems to have gone to his backup head fairly frequently... which seems a little odd to me, considering how little there is to fail when you cut the Twin's power section out of the equation.

Just for the sake of argument though :lol:...perhaps (perhaps) they were just slightly different flavors, one with slightly "darker" tubes than the other? Just a random notion worth debunking imho.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Pete B. » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:32 am

I run a stereo rig any time there is room for left/right speaker cabs on the stage.
It doesn't translate to the audience at all, and I usually only mic one cab.
Im my case, the 3-dimensional surround-sound is something that makes me feel the instrument better, and imho, play better, because it sounds so killer from where I am standing, or sitting at the Pedal Steel.
If you follow the Kimmock gear page, he is always purposely missmatching speakers as well as running mismatched speaker/output-transformer impedances, for a more complex stereo field of disspersment on stage.
Pete B.

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion