DIY Speaker Cabinet

Chat about Equipment Info

DIY Speaker Cabinet

Postby bcresci » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:24 pm

I was finally able to get up to visit my parents in VT. Spent this week constructing a cabinet for the rig I'm in the process of building. Two JBL E-120's waiting at home.

Glenn - if you're watching the posts, this is what you contributed to. Thanks, my friend.

bcresci
Mickey
Mickey

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:35 am

Those are some good-looking holes! :smile:
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Dozin » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:37 am

My thoughts exactly!
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Holes are now filled

Postby bcresci » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:57 pm

We used a circle jig for the holes - the jig connects to a router and swings on a pivot point. Turned out to be very precise.

Here's the completed cab. I hooked it up today to a Trio -> Mac 2300 and it sounded really nice. Need to fool around with the setting a bit to get what I'm after.

bcresci
Mickey
Mickey

Postby Ender » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:40 am

where do you get those speaker clips?
Ender
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby playingdead » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:00 am

Really nice! Can't wait to hear some clips!
playingdead

Postby waldo041 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:53 am

Ender wrote:where do you get those speaker clips?

they look to be today's Hard Truckers spec'd clips. they are pretty much the same thing with a smaller hole/screw diameter.

PM me and i can help you out, IF you have a local machine shop that can mill them.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby deadguise » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:34 pm

Looks good, to bad the bottom speaker dust cover got poked. I had a cat piss on mine... :?
deadguise

Postby Peaks Rhythm » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:50 am

The cabinet looks great. I just built one for myself and had a hard time cutting straight lines and round circles using a jigsaw through baltic birch. What wood did you use? I like the different colors in the pieces you used.
Least I'm enjoying the ride.

www.myspace.com/highpeaksband
Peaks Rhythm
bruce
bruce

wood and tools

Postby bcresci » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:25 pm

The wood is 9-ply Birch plywood from Home Depot. We couldn't find any 13-ply. It's actually not really great wood - that darker strip looks ok, but there are small blue stains in a few places that we couldn't get out - not too visible in these pictures, but they are there. Being our first project, we didn't want to buy expensive wood. We used 1/2 round strips around the front to hide the layers of the plywood.

The cirlces were cut with a circular router jig we picked up at a local hardware store. It was very accurate. You basically drill a hole in the wood, insert a pin through the jig into the hole for a pivot point, and then with the router attached cut the circle (drilling slightly deeper every time you go around).

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/inde ... rodID=4446

Most of the cuts are pretty straight, but there are some places where the wood doesn't fit together 100% accuarately, but it was good enough for what I needed.

All in all a very fun project. Kudos to my father for provided all the wood-working knowledge. Couldn't have done it without him.
bcresci
Mickey
Mickey

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion