Garcia Strings

Chat about Equipment Info

Garcia Strings

Postby Emoto » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:19 am

Dozin.com says that Jerry used "Vinci strings, gauged .010 - .046, but from time to time used an .011 on the high E and a .047 on the low E." I also recall this from an old Guitar Player interview I read years ago.

Does anyone know of anything else he used (on his electrics) other than 10s or 11s or other than Vinci?

Thanks!
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:59 am

One of the items in that big Welnick/Scully/Ramrod etc GD auction going- I forget what specifically, maybe the Scully briefcase?- includes several packs of Garcia's Vinci's, both 10 and 11. Before Y!Gearheads/gratefuljams got rolling, around 8 years ago, the popular theory on various GD discussions seemed to be that he used 12's.... just recently I saw an "I read somewhere he used 9's" on Gearheads, proving that even a discussion that yields up correct information isn't necessarily read/searched by its own members.

The internet will always have guesses that mutate into claims, or "I read somewhere's" floating around- that's the nature of the internet and people.

dozin has it correct most of the time because he's actively paid attention to the Y!GH discussion from its very beginning (he's the moderator) AND takes the trouble to post most of the distilled findings (or at least likelihoods) onto his site where it can be easily accessed.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Garcia's Strings

Postby hard truckers co » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:21 am

Ive got a set of Jerry's Vinci Strings here in my hand. They came right out of Steve Parish's collection of stuff.

Vinci American Strings (red black and white label in plastic)

custom electric

Light Special
.010 .013 .017 .026 .036 .046
extra FREE 1st + 2nd

Vinci Musical Strings USA

and the "11's"
Jazz/Rock
.011 .014 .018P .028 .038 .050

We used them in our string changing kit last holiday season...
Hope this helps
peace
glenn
http://www.hardtruckers.com
hard truckers co
Brent
Brent

Postby Emoto » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:23 am

Thanks, guys!

Glenn, you want my address so you know where to send those? :twisted:

Bob
Emoto

Postby jeffm725 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:21 am

http://washburn.com/accessories/strings.aspx

3.59 a set if you buy a dozen from the above link.

By the way, Vinci's for me have been an acquired taste. I do not like the sound of them when they are brand new. Thea are too "nickely" for lack of a proper term. However once broken in they round off nicely. YMMV
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby jeffm725 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:26 am

tigerstrat wrote:One of the items in that big Welnick/Scully/Ramrod etc GD auction going- I forget what specifically, maybe the Scully briefcase?- includes several packs of Garcia's Vinci's, both 10 and 11. Before Y!Gearheads/gratefuljams got rolling, around 8 years ago, the popular theory on various GD discussions seemed to be that he used 12's.... just recently I saw an "I read somewhere he used 9's" on Gearheads, proving that even a discussion that yields up correct information isn't necessarily read/searched by its own members.

The internet will always have guesses that mutate into claims, or "I read somewhere's" floating around- that's the nature of the internet and people.

dozin has it correct most of the time because he's actively paid attention to the Y!GH discussion from its very beginning (he's the moderator) AND takes the trouble to post most of the distilled findings (or at least likelihoods) onto his site where it can be easily accessed.

I believe much of the earlier confusion regarding Jerry's string gauge comes from an Acoustic Guitar magazine interview from the early 90's where Jerry states he uses "Heavy Strings" and "High Action" . He was specifically referring to his acoustic setup. I believe many people thought he was speaking in general. Things on the internet sometimes get regurgitated so much that it takes on a life of its own.
We know that most of his electrics were set-up with high action as well, but I think it is very accurate to say mostly 10's and sometimes 11's were his electric gauge of choice throughout the bulk of his career.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:29 am

Wow that's crazy I remember reading that article years ago and have always thought he was talking about his electric guitar..thanks for clearing that up.
Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Postby Emoto » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:32 am

jeffm725 wrote:http://washburn.com/accessories/strings.aspx

3.59 a set if you buy a dozen from the above link.

By the way, Vinci's for me have been an acquired taste. I do not like the sound of them when they are brand new. Thea are too "nickely" for lack of a proper term. However once broken in they round off nicely. YMMV

What do you consider to be the break-in period?

I tried a set of Vincis around 78 or 79 after reading the GP interview and cannot recall a thing about them.Prolly worth trying a set again. I've been buying and trying every different set I can over the last few months with no strong preference developing so far...
Emoto

Postby jeffm725 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:36 am

I think it took at least a rehearsal and a gig before I started to like them.
So about 4-5 hours of playing...

I usually used d'addario 10's on my jerryized Ibanez

and DR10's on my weir casio and 2681
jeffm725

Postby Phatboy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:28 pm

honestly i cant see jerry ever using 9's. I would guess 10's min up to 12's
Phatboy

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion