Graphtech Ghost Piezo preamp as an alternative to a UGB

Chat about Equipment Info

Graphtech Ghost Piezo preamp as an alternative to a UGB

Postby RiverRat » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:54 pm

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiverRat

Re: Graphtech Ghost Piezo preamp as an alternative to a UGB

Postby waldo041 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:54 pm

RiverRat wrote:Just a tip for those of you looking to do a Bolt or TopHat replica with wiring that is similiar to theirs.

neither bolt or tophat utilize a piezo. the acoustic tone came from the removal of the monitors and a direct feed to the soudboard.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby clifton hanger » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:50 pm

i just got the ghost piezo and hex system but havent installed it yet. i am putting it into an old sheraton II. I called graphtech and the rep stated that the output impedience was 2k. I have heard it in action and it sounds very jerry ish. i dont know if its the buffer or the blended piezo... I just went down to cae sound and and bought the cb1 in a box. I played a gig the same night and my tone was so much better and controlable. Low impedence buffers rock. now i can get back to making music without constantly worrying about shaping the tone.
clifton hanger
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby tigerstrat » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:53 pm

Nobody's ever even heard a note played on Top Hat, have they?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby RiverRat » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:46 am

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiverRat

Postby strumminsix » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:54 am

Your theory that a buffer is not needed assumes a connection between the magnet pickups and the bridge piezo which inherently is not there.
strumminsix

Postby RiverRat » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:18 am

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiverRat

Postby waldo041 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:14 pm

RiverRat wrote:Well... Google "Jerry Garcia Cripes Piezo" and tell me what you get for results?

Then listen to Jerry's tone on Lazy River Road from 3/30/94...

i don't need a search engine to tell me jerry's tone.

i know what you and i hear, and what is floating out there on the net, but i can tell you that NONE of garcia's guitars have a piezo in them! OTHER THEN his acoustics.

it's been under debate, BUT squashed. jerry's acoustic thin tone comes from the removal of the Mac and jbl's and a direct feed from the trios to the soundboard. and to put the matter to rest listen to cripes bolt with the mac and jbl's in use onstage in a JGB recording. then come back and let us know what the difference is you hear.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby jeffm725 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:29 pm

Waldo's right...this has been squashed a long time ago. No Piezo's in his electrics. And Yes, count me among the ones that would have sworn at one time that there just HAD to be one in 'Bolt. But there isn't and wasn't.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby RiverRat » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:29 pm

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
RiverRat

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:33 pm

Whether or not it was a piezo (it wasn't)... you actually WANT that tone??? So you can sound like 93-95-era Jerry :?: :shock:
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby RiverRat » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:38 pm

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiverRat

Postby waldo041 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:06 pm

RiverRat wrote:No... I just want to avoid a control cavity that's got 15lbs of shit in a 5lb space. A gutted GK pickup is still quite large, so piezo's with the hexpander is the route I'm going.

and not ALL late era Jerry was bad... '95 Jerry sounded world's better than his complete absence of tone in '96!

ahh, i see you are looking for the alternative for a midi pickup? not necessarily the acoustic tones of 93-95, correct? not a bad option, but jerry's gutted GK pickup also had momentary switches for patching up or down. he also had a seperate volume for the midi which allowed him to use the midi along with his standard guitar electronics or use 1 or the other. to do this he modded the GK for midi only, and had 2 seperate board fed monitors onstage(left & right) for the midi system along with his guitar rig of the time. the "quickswitch" of the ghost system is like the GK's switch, but remember jerry did not utilize that, he modded his midi for midi only, and used the seperate volumes of the midi and the guitar to mix or seperate. the midi played no part in his guitar electronics and if the midi went down his guitar still worked. if you don't seperate the 2 then you could have problems if the midi side goes haywire.

also, they do sell a GK internal midi unit/pickup, that would come in a little smaller then a gutted GK. midi technology has come a long way since jerry passed and i am sure he would be using the latest and greatest out there. the thing is i think he would still seperate the 2 (midi vs. guitar).in my opinion it was just another thing jerry was way ahead of then most on.

just some thoughts.

peace,
waldo
Last edited by waldo041 on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waldo041

Postby RiverRat » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:50 pm

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiverRat

Postby kenneybonz » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:13 am

tigerstrat wrote:Whether or not it was a piezo (it wasn't)... you actually WANT that tone??? So you can sound like 93-95-era Jerry :?: :shock:

way to go TS! i don't think i'd ever want to go through all that FOR that tone, but i always chuckle cause all the folks didn't like it..
me, i was on the fence about that whole 94 95 scene.. that tone was part of it.. the uh pastel stages!! :-? didn't Sting get quoted saying he wanted to be part of those tours 'cause he wanted some of that yuppie money?
on the other hand, it WAS the GD, and that was a blast ...
but i always semi dug that tone...wouldn't wanna take my guitar apart to GET it, but i semi dug it...
peace.. tk
Hipsters, Tripsters, real cool chicksters, Everyone's doin' that rag.
kenneybonz
Billy
Billy

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion