Cornmeal...

Chat about Equipment Info

Cornmeal...

Postby weirimpressed » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:04 am

Hey All

Went to a pretty cool show (Perpetual Groove) last night, and they had a bluegrass band called Cornmeal open for them. I guess they are from the Chicago area, but they tore it UP to say the least. Any of yall ever heard of them? If you havent, look for some of their music, definitely worth a listen.

Take it easy yall :D
weirimpressed

oh yea, we've seen em a few times at the ledges

Postby kenneybonz » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:33 pm

It's funny to see this thread.. your note is the same tone from when i first saw em and posted a note.. i dug their sound and energy.. and how they arranged things like marley or dylan songs..
they are just plain great as i am sure more that a few folks on this site will agree
Hipsters, Tripsters, real cool chicksters, Everyone's doin' that rag.
kenneybonz
Billy
Billy

Postby weirimpressed » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:15 pm

kenny I couldnt agree more,

they tore it UP! The banjo and fiddle players were on fire all night. I was really impressed, wasnt expecting that at all. :cool:
weirimpressed

Postby waldo041 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:40 am

my buddy JP is the drummer and they are from right in my area. they are a chicago group, but the nowak brothers are from good ole munster indiana. i had a few classes at purdue with jp just before he joined his brother in terrapin flyer. i do agree most here would love'm.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby heavynylon » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:26 am

I caught their set at Grateful Fest last weekend. I agree they are pretty good. A nice mixture of bluegrass and jam, with a little Grateful Dead thrown in. And I see they are here in Atlanta tonight. But alas, this being Sunday and family night and all, I can't go. But if I could, I would! Hopefully, they'll come through here again.
heavynylon
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby weirimpressed » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:33 am

I think they are playing at Smithe's Olde Bar tonight if Im not mistaken...how long have they been around waldo?
weirimpressed

Postby waldo041 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:22 am

the core of them have played together for years. but cornmeal i believe has been together about 2 years, maybe a little more or less.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby weirimpressed » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:54 pm

hey everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that Cornmeal is playing on IClips tonight from 8:30 to 10:00. So far its been pretty cool, but I think my internet is kinda slow...

Take a look and enjoy the music :cool:
Once in a while you get shown the light
In the strangest of places if you look at it right.
weirimpressed

Postby Candyman1984 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:18 am

Cornmeal is sick! I saw them at the moe.down and they were totally unbelievable. Great band-and the threw it down extra hard when they sat in with moe. as well.
Would you please remove your rubber duckie from my guacamole...Thanks!
Candyman1984
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby GratefulPat » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:24 am

waldo, you said theyve been together about 2 years? i saw them open for big wu in 03 or 04
Comes a time, when the blind man takes your hand and says "dont you see?"
GratefulPat

Postby strumminsix » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:06 am

they've had lineup changes.
strumminsix

Postby waldo041 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:31 am

GratefulPat wrote:waldo, you said theyve been together about 2 years? i saw them open for big wu in 03 or 04

No, i said " i believe" they had been together for about 2 years. and i obviously was wrong. i didn't really check them out until a few years ago, but did catch the terrapin flyer and missing man formation things they were doing more. JP came out to one of our shows earlier this year the day before he left on tour and we got him on drums for a few dead tunes. the guy's in my band went to H.S with the Nowak brothers. 2 cool dudes and a privilage to have J.P sit in for a couple tunes. anyway, if you haven't check them out. DO IT!!!

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:29 am

I've known Dave B. for about 12 years, and I've been aware of CM being around since at least 1999.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion