Tiger routing question

Chat about Equipment Info

Tiger routing question

Postby Jon S. » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:43 am

Is it correct that Tiger is routed for 3 humbuckers even though the neck PUP is a single coil? Thanks.

http://www.dozin.com/jers/jers/guitars/tiger/info.html
Jon S.

Postby waldo041 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:46 am

yes! and in this pic you can see that the coca bolo blocks grain pattern goes east/west vs. the bodies north /south grain.

http://dozin.com/jers/jers/guitars/tiger/pic.html

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Jon S. » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:59 am

That pic is a great help, thanks, waldo. :)
Jon S.

Postby Jon S. » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:34 am

I hope this follow-up question is not too lame but I admittedly am not good at reading schematics. With the Tiger wiring, if the stereo cable to the effects is omitted, i.e., only one cable is run from the final output jack to the amp, will their be output? Thanks again.
Jon S.

Postby jeffm725 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:48 am

Jon S. wrote:I hope this follow-up question is not too lame but I admittedly am not good at reading schematics. With the Tiger wiring, if the stereo cable to the effects is omitted, i.e., only one cable is run from the final output jack to the amp, will their be output? Thanks again.

yes using the final output and omitting the stereo cable will work like a "normal" guitar.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby Jon S. » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:40 am

You're singing the song I was hoping to hear, Brother, thanks! :D
Jon S.

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:20 pm

jeffm725 wrote:
Jon S. wrote:I hope this follow-up question is not too lame but I admittedly am not good at reading schematics. With the Tiger wiring, if the stereo cable to the effects is omitted, i.e., only one cable is run from the final output jack to the amp, will their be output? Thanks again.

yes using the final output and omitting the stereo cable will work like a "normal" guitar.

True only when the loop is bypassed. With loop engaged, there will be no output: nothing plugged in, it becomes a killswitch.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby jeffm725 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:06 pm

tigerstrat wrote:
jeffm725 wrote:

True only when the loop is bypassed. With loop engaged, there will be no output: nothing plugged in, it becomes a killswitch.

true enough, but you will figure that out damn quick when you get no output :-)

also should be noted that the one other difference between this and a "normal" guitar output would be that you have a buffered output signal, which in my opinion hurts you not at all and is in fact a plus if you are using a long cable or any floor stomps (although, if you had the loop there too, that is where the floor stomps would be anyway).

However let it be known that I have had the TRS Y cable fail on me at a gig before (the onetime I left a backup at home of course) and was able to continue no problem by just using the final output and a normal cable into my effects chain. The only difference was now my effects were After my guitar volume (like every other guitar) instead of before. I gotta say though, that once you start using effects (especially auto filters and octavers and some certain distortions) before the guitar volume with a constant signal from the pickups, you never want to go back to the convential method. it makes such a big difference. And best of all is repeatable night after night.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:59 pm

jeffm725 wrote:also should be noted that the one other difference between this and a "normal" guitar output would be that you have a buffered output signal, which in my opinion hurts you not at all and is in fact a plus if you are using a long cable or any floor stomps (although, if you had the loop there too, that is where the floor stomps would be anyway).

However let it be known that I have had the TRS Y cable fail on me at a gig before (the onetime I left a backup at home of course) and was able to continue no problem by just using the final output and a normal cable into my effects chain. The only difference was now my effects were After my guitar volume (like every other guitar) instead of before. I gotta say though, that once you start using effects (especially auto filters and octavers and some certain distortions) before the guitar volume with a constant signal from the pickups, you never want to go back to the convential method. it makes such a big difference. And best of all is repeatable night after night.

agreed on no going back! I recently had a similar situation w/ a loop circuit failure post-soundcheck, one minute before we were going to start our set,(not the Y cord, but my soldering failed on the switch, as it turned out later) but still had bypassed sound. I didn't even bother going straight thru the fx, post-volume but just shrugged and played effectless for the whole 2 hour set. Didn't miss the FX much, although it helped a lot that we were doing all JGB tunes that night, with a real B-3.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby waldo041 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:19 pm

trs y's are a drag. i recommend building or have one of these built. eliminate the 2 cable stereo y and use a stereo cable with the second being a backup.

peace,
waldo

"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Jon S. » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:35 am

Excellent! I'll share this new info. with my tech today. Thanks so much! :)
Jon S.

Postby jeffm725 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:55 am

waldo041 wrote:trs y's are a drag. i recommend building or have one of these built. eliminate the 2 cable stereo y and use a stereo cable with the second being a backup.

peace,
waldo

I have often thought about building a junction box (as an aside, i cant believe HT charges 70 bucks for this! it is 8 dollars in parts top,if you want to use the best jacks! They are a great company and sell quality stuff but cheez......),and the easiest build in the world even if you have never soldered before

the Y cable works really well in my setup because I use a Furman SPB-8 Pedal board which has a Patch bay built into it ... http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?id=SPB-8
... (although i was suprised that a quality company like furman used plastic PCB mounted jacks in the Patch panel. I yanked it out and put in Neutrik jacks and hand wired it.) so for me it makes no sense to add more jacks to this setup. What is nice about the furman is I can tap the signal in a couple different places (for example I have an Ibanez AD-202 that I run in a separate effects loop after my final guitar output (not in the guitar loop).

So it is really nice using the patch Bay as ALL my cables going to and from run through that.Plus it has the revered furman power conditioner built in to power all my stomps.
Since all my effects are true bypass (I use some self-made bypass boxes for the ones that are not) and since I like what the furman does for me, I find no real need for a switcher like the gcx (although dont get me wrong I would love to have one, and it would help me a little more still, but it was of those nice to have vs. need to have scenarios....)

Anyway, long winded reason why the "Y" cable works for me personally :D
jeffm725

Postby Jon S. » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:21 am

>> i cant believe HT charges 70 bucks for this

Who or what is "HT?"
Jon S.

Postby playingdead » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:41 am

HT = Hard Truckers.

Now that I am using a GCX, having the loop on my guitar go out would not be the end of the world, as I would not be plugging into the entire effects chain in any event. I always carry a spare TRS cable, too.

However, it's well worth noting the HUGE difference it makes not having your effected signal run through every single stomp box/rack unit when your loop is switched in. Easily one of the best upgrades to my sound, wiring nightmare that it is (four cables for every stomp box on its own loop).

I was somewhat skeptical before I made the plunge, but talk about not wanting to go back ... wow.

The other really nice feature of the guitar loop, for me, is the ability to have the tuner in your effects chain, kill your guitar volume, switch the loop in and be able to tune. Particularly useful if you go out during a tune.
playingdead

Postby jeffm725 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:45 am

Jon S. wrote:>> i cant believe HT charges 70 bucks for this

Who or what is "HT?"

HT is Hard Truckers. And dont get me wrong, I think they are providing a wonderful service to our community and I dont begrudge anybody trying to make a buck. I would rather have a world with hard truckers in it than without. I just find some of their pricing to be a little bit out of whack.However, it is their right to charge what they want, and if they are selling them, more power to them!
jeffm725

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion