Where’s the Gear?

Chat about Equipment Info

Where’s the Gear?

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:45 pm

So I was out in beautiful Portland Or last week visiting an old high school pal, playing some music and just having a grand old time. Anyhow we stopped into a bar that has (or claims to have I didn’t get a chance to do the DNA testing) two cabs from The Wall of Sound. This discovery got me to thinking where did the gear wind up? I’m not talking about the big stuff like guitars, drums or the plethora of Lesh basses, I am wondering about the speaker cabs and hundreds of Mac 2300’s that the band went thru over the years anyone got any cool stories?
Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:08 pm

I know one local guy who has a WOS 2x12; didn't know there were any in a bar. What bar?

The WOS pieces pop up here and there, everywhere.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby willmusic » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:20 am

When I lived in SF, I jammed with a guy who had 2 1x12's from the wall. They were mids and the cabs were almost wide enough to hold 2x12's but only had one each. I also remember they had black front baffles, I know some did and some didn't. He had to replace the speakers for obvious reasons and they were really beat up but were still rock solid and he had them sounding great. Aside from that, bits and pieces have been seen in auctions, and I've seen at least a half a dozen on ebay over the years. Saw a Mac from the wall on there last year, id'ed by a "Property of GD: Front St..." label on the back. Keep a lookout and you may be able to own one. I have a savings set aside for that really special piece of gear...I don't even know what it's gonna be yet. But if another WOS item goes up for sale again, I may just shoot for that.
willmusic
wolf
wolf

Postby Dozin » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:56 am

I heard that one way to tell a GD WOS mac is that all the screws were taken out and they used loctite to refasten them.
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby willmusic » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:42 pm

Good call! I'd read something to that effect, too. Silly-ass me I didn't even think to look for it at the time.
willmusic
wolf
wolf

Postby DooDahDan » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:45 am

Scroll down to George McCorkle's gear description. I would imagine there are others out there who acquired pieces of the The Wall.

http://www.marshalltucker.com/cgi-bin/tuck/mtb_hardware.html?id=3a5WsE7r
DooDahDan
Brent
Brent

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:05 am

I saw some guy selling a guitar case that belonged to Bobby on Ebay
" a piece of rock n roll history "
said the caption ....
:cool:
Tennessee Jedi

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion