Q-Tron vs. MuTron

Chat about Equipment Info

Q-Tron vs. MuTron

Postby playingdead » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:48 pm

Who has both in their arsenal?

I've used the Q-Tron for a few years now, and never been entirely satisfied ... of course, I rarely am, as you can tell if you've followed my posts.

I recently got an original Mutron III from Waldo, and while I have just limited experience with it, it doesn't seem to be quite as "fat" as the Q-Tron is. I'm not sure I understand why. I like the highs on the Mutron a little better, but there's a certain thickness to the Q-Tron that I'm torn over.

I thought I was resolved to use the Mutron, but then I was just listening to the boards from Friday the 15th, and when I kicked the Q-Tron on a minute or two into the Scarlet Begonias jam we did, I thought ... well ...

It's further complicated by the new preamp I'm using, it might like the Q-Tron better:

http://www.playingdead.net/scarletjam.mp3

Which do you prefer?
playingdead

post a comparisson

Postby bcresci » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:58 pm

Can you post a tune that highlights the Mutron so we can compare side by side?

My opinion:

The guitar at the beginning of the clip sounds great - I like the punch and throatiness.

As far as the Q-tron goes, it almost sounded a bit too gimicky in this clip. The only word I can think of to describe it is "warbly". Maybe if some of the settings were turned down just a bit it might have a more subtle feel to it. Needs more wind...less warble.

In case there was any question, no...I don't have a music degree.
bcresci
Mickey
Mickey

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:12 pm

A little constructive criticism for ya
- try to make the song "levitate "
- drink coffee before gig
- try "bathing in Deadness"
- try to "practice" a little ...
You should be o.k ....
:smile:
I dont have the Mu but the Q .
I think you get a great even tone out of it.
Loved the subtle octave fx.
Loved the overdrive and Q too.
Too bad that tom tom was mic'd crappy.
I like your 80's take on the Dead.

:cool:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby pappypgh » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:29 pm

I spent a lot of time playing around w/ a Mu-Tron III (a friend had one) before I bought my Q-Tron. I can't see the difference - at least in the sounds I'M going for.
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
pappypgh

Postby Dozin » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:20 pm

You guys should really try a AF-9. Same circuit as the Mutron. Just works differently.
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby deadguise » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:57 pm

I think the same guy who designed the Mutron also designed the QTron. The Mutron are vintage (70s) so maybe age is a factor with the components. I have a Qtron and love the sound but I've had to buy a few over the last 7 years...
deadguise

Postby pappypgh » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:09 pm

deadguise wrote:I think the same guy who designed the Mutron also designed the QTron. The Mutron are vintage (70s) so maybe age is a factor with the components. I have a Qtron and love the sound but I've had to buy a few over the last 7 years...

I understood that to be true, as well. He produced the Q with virtually the same electronics, only more updated, to produce the same tones as the Mu and made it more affordable.

As a matter of fact....

http://www.mu-tron.org/

"The Mu-Tron III by Musitronics Corp. first came out in 1972. Since 1996 the Q-Tron developed by Electro Harmonix has been the successor to the legacy which is the Mu-Tron. In early 1995 Mike Beigel was commissioned by Mike Mathews (owner of EHX) to reinvent the sound of Mu-Tron, today EHX still sells that sound as the Q-Tron."
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
pappypgh

Postby pappypgh » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:13 pm

www.theCAUSEjams.com

pappypgh

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion