HELP!

Chat about Equipment Info

HELP!

Postby frankielee » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:24 pm

so I switched on my 65 reissue deluxe reverb not realizing the jack was only half plugged into my tele.After a horrible screech the amp went dead. No biggie I thought as I replaced a blown fuse. Turned it on again and as soon as it warmed up(Tube Amp) the same thing happened. Tried it one more time with the same results...3 blown fuses and an amp that doesn't work. I brought it in to the local dealer and he seemed puzzled. He'll call when he knows something. Anyone out there have any thoughts? I'm worried sick that it's gonna be pricey. I'm looking for my warranty now. :(
"Don't go mistaking paradise for that home across the road."
frankielee
Jerry
Jerry

Postby strumminsix » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:18 pm

blown fuses are often caused by bad power tubes.
did he check them out?

If not get your amp to somebody else.
strumminsix

Postby frankielee » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:07 pm

Don't know if he checked those. I brought it in late today. Should know something tomorrow. Thanks so much for the info. Love this amp!
frankielee
Jerry
Jerry

Postby SpaceYrface43 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:23 am

Had a similar problem, brought my new twin rev reissue home turned it on and had a huge bang and hissing sound. Sent it off to an amp tech and it turned out to be a bad power tube. good luck
SpaceYrface43
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby Emoto » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:24 am

I like to keep a spare tube or three on hand. Swapping them out seems to cure most ills, and if swapping tubes, doesn't do it, that's when I give it to a technician.
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby pappypgh » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:37 am

Well, I hate to say it, but I've been experiencing problems w/ my reissue '65 Deluxe Reverb. It is not powering up fully. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. In the middle of "Loser" at our last show (and I was smokin' the solo, goddamit!), it started cutting out. I would flick the standby switch and it would come back - but just for a bit. THEN, it'd cut out again. David (causebass) yelled across the stage "Flick it up & down really fast - a LOT" - so I did. It seemed to do the trick. HOWEVER, I wasn't taking any chances, so I dropped it off to the local experts on Thursday, last week. Should have word soon.

Dammit.
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
pappypgh

Postby frankielee » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:08 pm

Thanks to all for the input and suggestions, I will keep you posted. You guys rock :cool: :cool:
frankielee
Jerry
Jerry

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:45 pm

A fuse always blows for a reason. Simply replacing it is very rarely a solution.

whats this about the instrument cable? shouldn't cause anything like that.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby China Cat » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:45 pm

i had a similar problem once. my amp roared and then died and then came back but with a screeching sound or hissing sound always present. turned out that one of the power tubes had got loose in its socket and was now unsoldering something when it heated up, either the socker or something on the board i think. was a pretty easy fix tho, good luck
You do not merely want to be considered the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones that do what you do. - Jerry Garcia
China Cat
Billy
Billy

Postby pappypgh » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:15 pm

I FINALLY got my 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue FIXED. They FINALLY did the right thing and checked the circuit board and behind the switches. There was a bad solder in there near the "Standby" switch. Fixed. Finally made it through a whole show without any issues (other than we didn't really play very well! :oops: ).

Case freakin' closed!!!
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
pappypgh

Postby Laytonco » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:26 pm

I had a 65 reissue in 2005 and it went out on me at a show (wierd noises, fart sounds, and no sound all mixed together) and I had to finish with a pignose amp. Not the best Bobby tone but it worked. Took the amp to my amptech and immediately he said the jack! Apparently the jack going from the amp to the speaker cabinet is notoriously bad on these amps. Quick cheap fix. Maybe ask about that.

Peace and good luck,

Gil
Laytonco

Postby frankielee » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:20 pm

FIXED! Turned out to be the power tubes. Thanks Strummin' 8)
frankielee
Jerry
Jerry

Postby strumminsix » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:27 pm

frankielee wrote:FIXED! Turned out to be the power tubes. Thanks Strummin' 8)

Glad it's fixed bro and thanks for letting us know the diagnosis!

FTR, it's a good idea to keep a CYA bag which should includ:
a pair of powertubes, a pair of preamp tubes, fuses, nail clippers, a leatherman, bandaids and picks
strumminsix

Postby CaptainTrips » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:43 am

Nail clippers? :shock:
CaptainTrips

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:19 am

strumminsix wrote:
frankielee wrote:FIXED! Turned out to be the power tubes. Thanks Strummin' 8)

Glad it's fixed bro and thanks for letting us know the diagnosis!

FTR, it's a good idea to keep a CYA bag which should includ:
a pair of powertubes, a pair of preamp tubes, fuses, nail clippers, a leatherman, bandaids and picks

spare power tubes... wouldn't that lead to adjusting your amp bias onstage? you should add a meter to that kit. nail clippers?

Aside from not worrying about power tubes failing or becoming flabby, another great (convenient) thing about using JG's preamp-tapped Fender into SS power amp thing, is that I DO bring along the power tube set for which the Fender is already biased, and if the SS amp fails for any reason, I can simply plug the power tubes (and phase-inverter)(...and speaker) into the Fender and use the amp's own disused power section as backup (minus any master volume adjustability)
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion