Pickup choices

Chat about Equipment Info

Pickup choices

Postby Emoto » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:35 am

Having decided to build a project guitar based off of an existing solid body guitar of some kind, I am thinking that HSH is the pickup configuration that I want to start with, and have the humbuckers switchable into single coil mode.

I like the mid to late 70s Jerry sound.

Which pickups should I be looking at?

Thanks!
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:50 am

He went through a ton of different pups in mid to late 70's, and consequently had a LOT of different tones throughout 75-79.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Emoto » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:04 am

tigerstrat wrote:He went through a ton of different pups in mid to late 70's, and consequently had a LOT of different tones throughout 75-79.

Well, ok, so '77 was my favorite. I am pretty sure I saw him play the wolf once that year (gawd it is such a blur now) and it sounded good, and the Travis Bean he played at Englishtown also sounded good.

Does that narrow things down?
Emoto

Postby waldo041 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:08 pm

emoto,

don't know if you have but there is a ton of good stuff over at http://www.dozin.com

there is some conflicting info, but he means well and for the most part gives a good idea of what's going on.

as for the years you are looking for check out this Irwin Wolf interview. i put an excerpt that expalins TS's point and might help you in your quest.

http://www.dozin.com/jers/guitars/wolf/wolf.htm

I configured the guitar with a plate system for mounting pickups. This allowed for a variety of pickup choices. It was originally set up with three Fender Stratocaster pickups. I also provided Jerry with a second pickup plate for Humbuckers (hum-canceling dual-coil pickups). The 70's were a time of evolution in guitar pickup design, so when Jerry got a new guitar, there was usually a period of experimentation. Then, from time to time Jerry would try new pickups, but once he found what he liked, he usually stuck with it. Sometimes Jerry felt that an old set of pickups. would get "tired", so I'd change them out for new ones.

09/28/77. return of "Wolf", w/added buffer/fx loop, still with 3 single-coil p/u's...

mid '78 "Wolf" gets new Dimarzio pickups:(b,m)Dual Sound;(n)SDS-1

a thing to note is that he still always from time to time would try out different pickups but favored the Dimarzio Super 2's and an SDS-1 which he started using in the 80's.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby jeffm725 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:28 pm

When going for that 77 sound, there can be no underestimating the sound of the stock Travis Bean Pickups.
Unfortuantely I have never personally owned a Beaner, but god, one of my guitar students ( a Deadhead optomotrist) walked in to one of my lessons with a TB1000 and a TB500 and I spent the whole lesson playing his guitars.With the 1000 plugged in it was 76 JGB to a "T" and I am talking straight into the amp no affects, no nothing. I am used to hot pickups with Super 2's and I couldn't say for sure that the Beans were more powerful if you measured them output wise the probably aren't, but to my ear they just SANG. There was such raw power to them, but with a musicality that was stunning. The 500 definitely had the May 77 vibe going too. But I gotta tell you I am a big time mark for 75-77 LOM/JGB and I just could not put the 1000 down. I felt like someone was robbing me when the lesson was over and the guitar had to go back in the case. It was the first real bout of Gear envy that I have had in a long, long time. With 7 electrics and 4 acoustics and separate Weir and Garcia rigs, my wife almost threw me out of the house when I mentioned my longing for a Bean.
:x

I have always wondered and have never been able to find any data on pickups that would give you that same Bean feel. I think it is moot anyway, because I think it is the custom pickups combined with their mounting right on an aluminum neck that creates the mojo, it is those two things together.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby Emoto » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:50 pm

That's cool about the TBs. Wish I had the chance to play one.

Am maybe going to grab a mexican strat as a starting point and then start adding pickups and a buffer.

Maybe some Dimarzio dual sounds. Someone was talking up a Seymore Duncan "do it all" kit of threee pickups, too, although he wasn't a dead head...
Emoto

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:52 pm

jeffm725 wrote:When going for that 77 sound, there can be no underestimating the sound of the stock Travis Bean Pickups.
Unfortuantely I have never personally owned a Beaner, but god, one of my guitar students ( a Deadhead optomotrist) walked in to one of my lessons with a TB1000 and a TB500 and I spent the whole lesson playing his guitars.With the 1000 plugged in it was 76 JGB to a "T" and I am talking straight into the amp no affects, no nothing. I am used to hot pickups with Super 2's and I couldn't say for sure that the Beans were more powerful if you measured them output wise the probably aren't, but to my ear they just SANG. There was such raw power to them, but with a musicality that was stunning. The 500 definitely had the May 77 vibe going too. But I gotta tell you I am a big time mark for 75-77 LOM/JGB and I just could not put the 1000 down. I felt like someone was robbing me when the lesson was over and the guitar had to go back in the case. It was the first real bout of Gear envy that I have had in a long, long time. With 7 electrics and 4 acoustics and separate Weir and Garcia rigs, my wife almost threw me out of the house when I mentioned my longing for a Bean.
:x

I have always wondered and have never been able to find any data on pickups that would give you that same Bean feel. I think it is moot anyway, because I think it is the custom pickups combined with their mounting right on an aluminum neck that creates the mojo, it is those two things together.

2nded whole-heartedly. Nothing is going to sound (or feel) quite like a Bean. I had a rare opportunity to babysit a TB1000S and a TB1000A over last summer and it is so easy to see how Jerry fell for them so hard, at least for a few years. They are really something else... almost like alien guitar technology or something. So alive!! The 500 is a different sound still, cleaner; I'm not sure if any other three-pickup TB500's were made except JG's.

The Wolf reappeared for fall '77, and still had strat type pup set until June 78, when the familiar Dimarzio SHH set made its debut.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby strumminsix » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:13 pm

It's more than just an aluminum neck, IIRC...

There is aluminum from headstock to tail and wood is attached lick "wings" giving it superior strength, reliability, consistency, etc... And from that the tone is phenomenal.

I have to think that Ken Parker was going for that sorta thing with his Fly guitar as the pickups are mounted directly to the body through the magnets and they have an exoskeleton sorta design for strength.
strumminsix

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion