Doug Irwin on Youtube

Chat about Equipment Info

Postby timothydarcangelo » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:15 am

pappypgh wrote:
timothydarcangelo wrote:It's real sad, the one part that sticks out is everyone attempting to capitalize financially on his death. Koons with her estate stuff, Irwin selling those guitars immediately, the band still playing as GD, Mountaingirl with her settlement. It all seems to go against Jerry's percieved laid back mentality, I mean how could he be surrounded most of his life by greedy money mongers, yet convey the ho-hum attitude he had. Were we all duped by this, was it his act? Was he really like them or was he what we thought he was? Could being surrounded by these people cause him to escape on H ? Puzzeling shit. Sad.

I still haven't been able to watch this video....so please correct me if there's something in it that goes against these statements, but:

1. It was my impression that Irwin sold the guitars because he was financially destitute after his accident.

2. The band still playing as the GD? They didn't play together at ALL until 2000, from my recollection and, when they did, they were called The Other Ones, before changing to just The Dead several years later.

3. As laid back as Jerry was, I would imagine he knew his value, monetarily speaking. He wouldn't simply do just anything for nothing. I always thought that the whole band - during the last 3-4 years of their existence - barely spoke to each other and wanted to fold the whole thing up and go their seperate ways, but DIDN'T because all of their friends would be out of jobs.

I really wanna see this vid....goddamn firewalls at work.

Just watch the vid, you might get the impression I got.
timothydarcangelo
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby Jon S. » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:06 am

Personally, I distinguish between capitalizing on someone after his death by continuing to market and sell products that reflect on his positive aspects and contributions, and capitalizing on the negative aspects.

Continuing to market and sell someone's music, art, and ice cream falls into the former category. Writing a nasty "tell all" book based on inside dope falls into the second.

This is not ancient Egypt where the Pharoah was buried with his possessions and retainers. This world is for the living. With full respect for Jerry, he had his turn and now its over and if we do or don't want to buy tickets for "The Dead" or Jerry dolls or cherry garcia ice cream, that's our choice.
Jon S.

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:11 am

That is a great point Jon. And I think Jerry, judging from all of the interviews I have seen and things he has said, would be the first person to agree with you that you can't take it with you.
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby krzykat » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:39 am

pappypgh wrote:
2. The band still playing as the GD? They didn't play together at ALL until 2000, from my recollection and, when they did, they were called The Other Ones, before changing to just The Dead several years later.

3. As laid back as Jerry was, I would imagine he knew his value, monetarily speaking. He wouldn't simply do just anything for nothing. I always thought that the whole band - during the last 3-4 years of their existence - barely spoke to each other and wanted to fold the whole thing up and go their seperate ways, but DIDN'T because all of their friends would be out of jobs.

I really wanna see this vid....goddamn firewalls at work.

the first Further tour was in 96 so that they did play together before 2000. and you are correct the band stayed together mainly so that the 200 or so people that worked for GDP would have jobs
krzykat

Postby pappypgh » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:21 pm

Thanks for the correction KrzyKat... :roll:
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
pappypgh

Postby jeffm725 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:14 pm

krzykat wrote:
the first Further tour was in 96 so that they did play together before 2000. and you are correct the band stayed together mainly so that the 200 or so people that worked for GDP would have jobs

uhhh...lets not let the facts ruin a good discussion here.... :-)
just for the sake of accuracy........
Further '96 in no way could be a construed as a tour where "they all played together" . There were only 2 (well 3 if you want to count Hornsby)... Dead members on that tour, and they all had separate bands. Weir (with one of my personally least favorite versions of ratdog) and Mickey with his "mystery Box" band.
Also on the bill were Los Lobos, Hornsby and the Range, Hot Tuna...etc...There would be some decent sit-ins at the end of the show (or Bobby would sit in with Mickeys band while Mickey sang/rapped Fire on the MtN) but that was a far cry from having them all together.

They came closer to being all together with the first "Other ones" tour in summer '98. That had Weir, Lesh, Hart, and Hornsby all together with Kimock, Karan and Molo, and Dave Ellis joining the mix. Still they were not all together yet (no Kreutzmann).That tour had some exciting moments ans was the first time that any real magic (in my opinion) was being created. For some reason the summer of 98 remains as my foavorite Post GD band. There was something about those shows, the lineup the timing, the song choices, that was exhilarating.

In 2000 there was another "other ones" tour, which revisited the Weir,Hart, Hornsby nucleus and this time Kretzmann joined in which was great, however, Lesh was subtracted and replaced by Alphonso Johnson on bass. Decent tour, but without Phil.........they also had Karan and Kimock back on guitar

So really the first time that they ALL did any kind of extended playing together was the 2002 Terrapin station deal at Alpine and the subsequent fall tour.
That band had all of the surviving members (if you didnt count Welnick and Hornsby) Hornsby chose to sit that one out.Baracco AND Chimenti shared keys duties, Jimmy Herring took over the lead guitar slot and Susan Tedeschi joined for the east coast part.

That stayed pretty much the band until the last shows in 2004 with Joan Osborne replacing Susan in '03 and Warren Haynes (guitar) replacing Baracco (keys)in '04......

Point being that it was quite a while (7 years!) before they were "all together"!
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby krzykat » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:24 pm

well if ya want to get technical . . . :lol:
krzykat

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion