Best place to buy Vinci strings?

Chat about Equipment Info

Best place to buy Vinci strings?

Postby Emoto » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:13 am

I don't want to deal with private parties, ebay, or craigs list. Any online merchants you guys might recommend?
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:23 am

http://www.hardtruckers.com/index.html
Domo iragato for Mr. Emoto !
Does that rhyme ?
:D
Tennessee Jedi

Postby waldo041 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:49 am

"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby KCJones » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:02 am

For what its worth.... I bought a few sets each of Vinci electric and acoustic just for the hell of it cause Jerry used them at one time or another; certainly he didn't use them exclusively. And , I found them to be nothing special. In fact, I didn't like them. They seemed dull in tone and inconsistant in feel, and rough. I'll use them up, or save for spares. But, I'm going back to my tried and tru DR. Pure Blues strings.

http://www.drstrings.com/main.html
KCJones
Billy
Billy

Location: Kansas City, MO via Buffalo NY, San Diego CA, San Jose CA and Wash DC

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:24 pm

:cool: on DR Strings. both the Tite Fit and Pure Blues are the best around IMO
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby jonarobb » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:08 pm

KCJones wrote:For what its worth.... I bought a few sets each of Vinci electric and acoustic just for the hell of it cause Jerry used them at one time or another; certainly he didn't use them exclusively. And , I found them to be nothing special. In fact, I didn't like them. They seemed dull in tone and inconsistant in feel, and rough. I'll use them up, or save for spares. But, I'm going back to my tried and tru DR. Pure Blues strings.

FWIW, Vinci Strings are still made on the same winding machine in Pittsburgh that they've always been made on. They are a superior string in every respect. I personally use them and of course got turned onto them when I found out Garcia used them. DR pure blues are a pure nickel wrap and as such is a completely different string.

I've found Vinci's to be very consistent and have been using them for quite some time w/o incident. I order custom sets directly from them with .011 for the high E. They sound fantastic and I strongly recommend you give em' a shot.
jonarobb

Postby strumminsix » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:42 pm

jonarobb wrote:
KCJones wrote:For what its worth.... I bought a few sets each of Vinci electric and acoustic just for the hell of it cause Jerry used them at one time or another; certainly he didn't use them exclusively. And , I found them to be nothing special. In fact, I didn't like them. They seemed dull in tone and inconsistant in feel, and rough. I'll use them up, or save for spares. But, I'm going back to my tried and tru DR. Pure Blues strings.

FWIW, Vinci Strings are still made on the same winding machine in Pittsburgh that they've always been made on. They are a superior string in every respect. I personally use them and of course got turned onto them when I found out Garcia used them. DR pure blues are a pure nickel wrap and as such is a completely different string.

I've found Vinci's to be very consistent and have been using them for quite some time w/o incident. I order custom sets directly from them with .011 for the high E. They sound fantastic and I strongly recommend you give em' a shot.

Washburn is owned by US Music Corp in Mundelein, IL.

USM owns Vinci strings as well as Parker guitars too.

I've been in their factory and have seen the string machine.

Not calling you out but I know for fact they are made in IL.

You are right, however, about the original machine.
strumminsix

Postby jonarobb » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:27 pm

strumminsix wrote:
jonarobb wrote:

Washburn is owned by US Music Corp in Mundelein, IL.

USM owns Vinci strings as well as Parker guitars too.

I've been in their factory and have seen the string machine.

Not calling you out but I know for fact they are made in IL.

You are right, however, about the original machine.

Very cool. It's funny I wrote Pittsburgh. I've been trying unsuccessfully to Torrent this Pittsburgh show from 73' and I'm ready to light my computer on fire,.... I did know they were from IL.

I did mean to emphasize solely that in a world of corporate takeovers, etc, Vinci has somehow managed to hang all these years and with a semblance of integrity.

Now back to ports and firewalls....
jonarobb

Postby strumminsix » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:34 pm

Interestingly enough USM seem to pretty much acquire
the leave companies alone or follow their practices...

I've seem them do it with alot of the companies they bought.

------------------------------------------------
HA! What BT client are you using?

I've had great luck with Azureus.

Also utorrent has been my amigos top pick.

Sadly, my internet provider likes to kill my ports
from time to time to block BT sharing, etc....

But Azureus seems to be easy to get around that.

Good luck!
strumminsix

Postby jonarobb » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:48 pm

strumminsix wrote:Interestingly enough USM seem to pretty much acquire
the leave companies alone or follow their practices...

I've seem them do it with alot of the companies they bought.

------------------------------------------------
HA! What BT client are you using?

I've had great luck with Azureus.

Also utorrent has been my amigos top pick.

Sadly, my internet provider likes to kill my ports
from time to time to block BT sharing, etc....

But Azureus seems to be easy to get around that.

Good luck!

Well, I switched to a a Mac this year and started using the original BT client, by Bram Cohen. I used to use Bit Tornado when I had my PC. The latest problem is everything starts out smooth, torrent opens, speed starts to come up as I hit a few good seeds, etc., then all of a sudden my DL speed goes up and over 500 kb/s. Normally you'd get pretty excited about it but after coasting along in the 100-150 kb/s range it jumps up to 500+ and then my computer freezes up altogether. I have go through the whole force quit thing, blah, blah. It's doing it from any site, lossless legs, mininova, bt.etree. Same symptom every time. It takes an average of 10 times with this freezing up and restarting just to complete one show. Hence the Pittsburgh show with the horns. I'm trying to get that stand alone version of China Doll which is the sweetest thing ever....
jonarobb

Postby strumminsix » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:16 pm

I had the same thing with an older version of Azureus.

Like it took over an possessed my machine.

Sucked all of my bandwidth and system resources...
strumminsix

Postby waldo041 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:10 am

KCJones wrote:For what its worth.... I bought a few sets each of Vinci electric and acoustic just for the hell of it cause Jerry used them at one time or another; certainly he didn't use them exclusively. And , I found them to be nothing special.

i use vinci's when i get my hands on some. they are crisper to my ear and still made on the same machine they always were made on. and while correct he may have not used them exclusively. at ramrods auction the box of strings sure did have a whole lot of vinci strings in it. so i imagine they were the string of choice at least for jerry. i totally agree like any other part of any guitarist rig and gear, strings are just as peculiar to the player as any thing else. to each his own in that respect.

http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/public.sh/pubweb/publicSite.r?sContinent=USA&screen=lotdetailsNoFlash&iSaleItemNo=3507463&iSaleNo=15537&iSaleSectionNo=1

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Emoto » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:20 am

jonarobb wrote:I've found Vinci's to be very consistent and have been using them for quite some time w/o incident. I order custom sets directly from them with .011 for the high E. They sound fantastic and I strongly recommend you give em' a shot.

How do you get custom sets. Do you just call Vinci on the phone?

Frankly, I am headed in toward the custom gauges myself. I like a standard .010 high E and plain G, but I want lighter than normal lower 3 strings. I think that will give me a crisper sound on the lower notes.
Emoto

Re: Best place to buy Vinci strings?

Postby KCJones » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:32 pm

VERY dissapointed in Vinci strings to say the least.
I ordered 6 sets each of acoustic and electric strings. Upon opening the first set of acoustics I encountered a set of strings that had corrosion throughout the entire length of all strings. The ends were also actually rusting. Straight to the trash they went. i opened another. This set was just slightly corroded so I put them on for the hell of it. The strings lacked any life, tone, stiff as hell, and ripped yer fingers apart do to roughness. A few days later I took them off and opened the third set. Same thing, corroded top to bottom, including rust. The other 3 sets were the same and had to be trashed. So much for thier highly touted "Fresh Lock" packaging.
The electric sets were not much better. Its as if you were putting well worn strings fresh out of the package onto your guitar. Again, dull, stiff, rough, lifeless strings, that were corroded here and there on all sets.

These were hands down the worst strings I have ever tried. Vinci strings suck.

Right off the Vinci string website:
"Fresh Lock™ Strings...
longevity, tonal quality, sustain and silky smooth feel. Our revolutionary packaging process hermetically seals the pouch, preventing any moisture or impurities from reaching your strings. As a result, you get a string that lasts longer and sounds brilliant." BULLSHIT!
KCJones
Billy
Billy

Location: Kansas City, MO via Buffalo NY, San Diego CA, San Jose CA and Wash DC

Re: Best place to buy Vinci strings?

Postby Emoto » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:52 pm

KCJones wrote:VERY dissapointed in Vinci strings to say the least.
I ordered 6 sets each of acoustic and electric strings. Upon opening the first set of acoustics I encountered a set of strings that had corrosion throughout the entire length of all strings. The ends were also actually rusting. Straight to the trash they went. i opened another. This set was just slightly corroded so I put them on for the hell of it. The strings lacked any life, tone, stiff as hell, and ripped yer fingers apart do to roughness. A few days later I took them off and opened the third set. Same thing, corroded top to bottom, including rust. The other 3 sets were the same and had to be trashed. So much for thier highly touted "Fresh Lock" packaging.
The electric sets were not much better. Its as if you were putting well worn strings fresh out of the package onto your guitar. Again, dull, stiff, rough, lifeless strings, that were corroded here and there on all sets.

These were hands down the worst strings I have ever tried. Vinci strings suck.

Right off the Vinci string website:
"Fresh Lock™ Strings...
longevity, tonal quality, sustain and silky smooth feel. Our revolutionary packaging process hermetically seals the pouch, preventing any moisture or impurities from reaching your strings. As a result, you get a string that lasts longer and sounds brilliant." BULLSHIT!

I've never had a problem. Why didn't you give them the opportunity to do right by you?
Emoto

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion