"Sugar Magnolia" Grateful Dead tour bus

Chat about Equipment Info

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:46 am

You could have put ANYONE in the lead role of that band of any vocal talent and The Doors would have succeeded. It was the BAND that made the songs, not Morrison.

I think you got that backwards my friend.
Jim was the band;the main draw;the mojo behind it all.
Robby Krieger is one of the worst Famous Guitarist I ever heard.
Yuck.
Songs like Peace Frog make me cringe.
Some people thought Frank Zappa was an asshole too but I don't think anyone who's ever really listened to his music is gonna legitimately question his overall musical abilities.

Dude Zappa ! Is ! The ! Man !
The opposite of the Doors ...
:cool:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby frankielee » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:50 pm

Doors suck Morrison sucks That bus is kinda cool. America lost it's greatest poet around 10-15 yrs ago.His name was Allen Ginsberg.MY 2 pennies :-)
"Don't go mistaking paradise for that home across the road."
frankielee
Jerry
Jerry

Postby Jon S. » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:51 pm

It's possible to not get a musician or band or to not like him or them without saying "suck" or "the worst." I've heard and read many people say and write that the Dead suck and Jerry is the worst - I'm sure y'all have, too - and they're as wrong as y'all are about The Doors and Krieger. Krieger, in particular, had a fascinating musical background and technique, definitely outside the standard rock box.
Jon S.

Postby Django » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:41 am

I like the Doors, though not as much as I did when I was young, I like Robbie Krieger as much as I ever had, I think he's great.
The Doors have a great live album and Morrison's vocal delivery on 'Five to One' and both Morrison and Krieger's parts on 'Who Do You Love' are hair raising.

It may not be (my) age related as much as date related, some of that music is sounding pretty dated.
Django
Bobby
Bobby

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:08 am

It's possible to not get a musician or band or to not like him or them without saying "suck" or "the worst

Its just an opinion.
Hey - L.A Woman and Roadhouse Blues are some classic rock riffs.And he will be remembered forever.
Why do I have to like him though ?
Its garage rock at best and a sloppy mess live.
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby pappypgh » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:01 pm

Tennessee Jedi wrote:
You could have put ANYONE in the lead role of that band of any vocal talent and The Doors would have succeeded. It was the BAND that made the songs, not Morrison.

I think you got that backwards my friend.
Jim was the band;the main draw;the mojo behind it all.
Robby Krieger is one of the worst Famous Guitarist I ever heard.
Yuck.
Songs like Peace Frog make me cringe.

:cool:

That may be your opinion Jedi...Morrison WAS the draw. Probably because none of the other guys would whip out his schwantz while wrecked on Jack Daniels. He was a boob. A talentless hack in a band of musicians who could really play. They were, of course, NOTHING like the GD....but the 3 of them were pretty great IMO.

Krieger can hang w/ any rock guitarist you can name, brother. Probably STILL can. Very interesting style. Manzarek? Garage band? Come on, dude - he's like Phil on the keys!!! :x :x :x

Krieger one of the WORST famous guitarists ever????

Keith Richards, anyone???? :shock:

(can't wait to see the shit I'll get for THAT one!)
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
pappypgh

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:35 pm

Keith Richards, anyone????

Now that hurts !
At least Richards can swing - Krieger is square.
C'mon Pappy at least admit that drummer was a one beat wonder ...
It was a band that did everything to back the money maker - Jimmy - and the members have done zip since.Zip pa di do dah - Zip.
They have no bass.Yuck.
Peace Frog = yuck.
Sorry thats the way it has to be.
:twisted:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:39 pm

Exhibit A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMCzi8tUpzw
Guilty as charged !
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby mttourpro » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:47 pm

FWIW, that video isn't even labeled correctly as it's Caravan and not Rider's on the Storm. You thought his playing was that bad, TJ?? Not my favorite tune, but wasn't like he sucked.

And, just for the record, they did put out an album after Morrison died called Full Circle ( or Inner Circle--can't recall exactly). It was a huge flop which would suggest that JM did have a very large role in their sucess....it was however, almost all instrumental if not completely instrumental. I used to have the songbook in Highschool but I don't believe I've ever heard the album--I'm sure it is pretty sad.

I have heard some newer stuff (few years ago) from Manzerek that was very good IMO.
http://www.thecausejams.com

let your life proceed by its own design....
mttourpro

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:36 am

No - he doesnt suck - I like some Doors like 20th Century Fox and Wintertime Lover Crystal Ships ,etc.
He can play guitar ok ...It might come down to Live They just were not that good.Just an opinion...
He's just not that inspiring to me I guess.
They have put out solo stuff but without JM - nobody cared.

:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:27 am

pappypgh wrote:Krieger one of the WORST famous guitarists ever????

Keith Richards, anyone???? :shock:

(can't wait to see the shit I'll get for THAT one!)

I'm at a loss for words, otherwise you'd be getting several hopper cars unloaded directly on your head...:lol: What did Keef do to get drawn into this pissing match, eh wot??

I also strongly disagree with Kreiger as "worst" in any category.

A list of worst famous guitarists would have to include Ace Frehley, and be heavily populated by 90'/00's grunge/nouveau-punk hit-makers...
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:51 am

A list of worst famous guitarists would have to include Ace Frehley, and be heavily populated by 90'/00's grunge/nouveau-punk hit-makers...

This is very possible ..
I probably should have said "Least favorite Famous guitarist " ...

Manzarek? Garage band? Come on, dude - he's like Phil on the keys!!!

The PHIL of keyboards ???????
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby krzykat » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:01 pm

Come on, obviously Jedi has no taste, he is an eagles fan after all! (couldn't resist)
krzykat

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion