Thoughts on Blackface/Silverface Vibrolux

Chat about Equipment Info

Thoughts on Blackface/Silverface Vibrolux

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:08 am

In college when I got back into guitar I used to use a fraternity brother's silverface Vibrolux. I hadn't thought about this amp in years but last night before I fell asleep it popped into my head.

The tone was outrageous from what I remember. Really nasty, barking Fender clean yet always seemed to be on the verge of breaking up and if I cranked it, it did and then some. Kind of has that Live Dead Jerry sound which I think is my favorite Jerry. Great deep reverb as well. I also think at 40W (I believe they are 40W) it is a perfect gig amp. Gives a little more headroom than a Deluxe and would be a near perfect match to A/B with my Mark IV at tweed power level.

So now I am considering tracking one down for the collection. Does any one have any opinions on them, silver vs. black, issues if any, or any other opinions on them if any one has experience with them. Of course if anyone wants to donate theirs to me, I am down with that as well.

Much Appreciated,

Crazy 9.5
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby playingdead » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:00 am

I have a Vibrolux reissue -- circa 02 or so -- and it is a great little amp.

I put a pair of JBL K110 speakers in it and it is my favorite sounding amp, just a little too small to gig with on the large stages we have been playing lately.

I have concluded that a lot of the vibe from it comes from the pair of 10" speakers, after plugging it into a 1X12 with an E-120 this morning. That way, it sounded very similar to my former Twin head and my current Trio/power amp setup.

Before I got the reissue, I had a 79 Vibrolux, it was sweet, too, but I actually preferred the reissue to it and let it go.

They are terrific amps ...
playingdead

Postby strumminsix » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:08 am

It is a sweet amp....
strumminsix

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion