Recommendation on reverb effects

Chat about Equipment Info

Recommendation on reverb effects

Postby bcresci » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:28 pm

I lost out this weekend on an ebay auction for a Real Tube Reverb. The final price was somewhere around $775. They don't seem to show up very often.

Wondered what reverb effects everyone is using and generally how happy you are with them. (And if anyone has RTR they want to sell let me know).
bcresci
Mickey
Mickey

Postby strumminsix » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:04 pm

My rec would be for a Peavey ValVerb.

Incredible.
strumminsix

Postby playingdead » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:08 pm

Holy crap, are they worth that much now!!!!

I bought one recently, but I won't part with it.

The ElectroHarmonix Holy Grail reverb pedal is not bad, but it has a reputation for being hissy and noisy. I had to try about five of them before I got a quiet one; I keep it on my pedalboard as a back up.

Before I got the Real Tube Reverb, I had just bought a Peavey Valverb, which is an all-tube spring reverb and vibrato in a 1-space rack. It sounds very good, actually; it's probably the best thing Peavey ever made. They are rarer than hen's teeth, though, and haven't been made for years.

I paid stupid money for it, I thought at the time; I put in a bid that I thought was ridiculously high to avoid being sniped on it at the last second, and got a surprise; I paid $425 for it when I expected it to be about $325-350 or so. But it is in excellent condition and has the footswitch.

This is not the best example, because I wasn't using much reverb to start with and there's delay in there during the solo, but this is a quick excerpt from the first gig I did with the Trio and the Valverb together (excuse the fumbling for chords, it was a request and we hadn't played it before):

http://playingdead.net/fourth.mp3

I'd sell if for what I paid for it if anyone wants it; I know you passed on it before, though.

Try the Holy Grail, it's not expensive, it might do it for you. If you get it online new or at Guitar Center, you can always return it if it's too noisy.

Vic
playingdead

Postby Pete B. » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:43 pm

You might like a Lexicon LXP-1.
It's their old school 'verb.
Pete B.

Postby acidrain30005 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:52 pm

Have you thought of investing in a Twin Reverb? A bit pricey but it's got a great reverb sound and is right in the ballpark for Dead material.
"Carl! Go take your bath!"- Jack
acidrain30005
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Jon S. » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:01 pm

I'm currently using an EH Holy Grail Reverb with those amps that lack onboard reverb. It is quiet alone with the EH-supplied wall wart except for some minor hiss in hall mode (the hiss is virtually gone in spring mode).

That being said, I jumped on "Buy It Now," Saturday morning, on this "dark horse." They are extremely rare and hard to find. It took me a year of searching to find one in excellent condition from a 100% positive feedback seller but my ship finally came in. Expecting delivery Wednesday.

Jon S.

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:00 pm

acidrain30005 wrote:Have you thought of investing in a Twin Reverb? A bit pricey but it's got a great reverb sound and is right in the ballpark for Dead material.

It's home plate. :smile:
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby playingdead » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:46 am

tigerstrat wrote:It's home plate. :smile:

Bedeke has a Trio preamp and a McIntosh 2300 ... he's already playing in the same stadium.

:cool: :cool: :cool:
playingdead

reverb

Postby bcresci » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:42 am

The Trio price was a bit high. I don't have a Economics degree, but I have noticed that:

Out of Prodution + Played by Jerry = Expensive

I have a couple of notes out to ValVerb owners. They seem to be reluctant to sell non-local. If all falls through I'll keep the PlayingDead Supply Co. in mind.
bcresci
Mickey
Mickey

Re: reverb

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:31 am

bcresci wrote:The Trio price was a bit high. I don't have a Economics degree, but I have noticed that:

Out of Prodution + Played by Jerry = Expensive

I have a couple of notes out to ValVerb owners. They seem to be reluctant to sell non-local. If all falls through I'll keep the PlayingDead Supply Co. in mind.

LOL @ your math! It's soooo accurate!

RE:ValVerb - ya gotta check eBay.

I see them on Craigslist every so often but most people there will not ship.
strumminsix

price

Postby bcresci » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:48 am

Retraction on my note.... I meant to say the Real Tube Reverb price was high. I actually got a very good deal on the Trio.
bcresci
Mickey
Mickey

Postby KCJones » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:25 am

I use the TC Electronics G-Major. I got it primarily for the Reverb but ended up with a whole host of VERY usable effects (delay, phaser, chorus) better than most any pedal I've tried in all classes; subjective of course. I did away with ALL my pedals. But, their reverbs are where this unit shines. This is NOT a pre-amp, its a EFX unit.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/G-Major.asp
KCJones
Billy
Billy

Location: Kansas City, MO via Buffalo NY, San Diego CA, San Jose CA and Wash DC

Postby playingdead » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:35 am

Valverb's sold, ya'll ... just an fyi.
playingdead

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:32 pm

Are you looking for a rack mount unit or a floor pedal. As far as rack mounts, it is tough to go wrong with anything that is made these days as 24 bit sound quality is pretty impressive. Some things will work better for post production studio work, others have better live applications like the aforementioned G major unit.

For floor pedals, I hear the T Rex Room Mate is pretty sweet to the ears. By no means a cheap pedal, $400, but I have two pedals from them (a Replica delay and a Tremster) and I would be a lesser man without them in my life. I love their products!!

I have heard the Holy Grail can be a little noisy yet haven;t heard a similar complaint about the Room Mate. It has 24 bit AD/DA converters, it also has some modulation features which I don't really know if you have much use for. Worth checking out though.
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby playingdead » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:52 pm

I dunno, man ... when it comes to spring reverb, it's hard to digitally get that tube warmth and physical spring sound happening.

I can hear the difference. It's like those modeling amps that get sort of in the same ballpark as a tube amp, but compared to the real thing ...

I'm sure the newest generation ones are much better than the old ones, though.
playingdead

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion