McIntosh 2300 and custom speaker cabinet

Chat about Equipment Info

McIntosh 2300 and custom speaker cabinet

Postby bcresci » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:54 pm

I'm in the process of building a custom cab with JBL E 120's. Going to put a 1/4" jack on the back, which seemed like the easiest and logical choice. Just bought an MC 2300 to drive it. For those of you with similar cofigs, how are you connecting the 2300 to their speaker cabs. And how are you connecting your amp to the 2300?

One other question: As I've told some people about my project everyone asks what kind of tweeter or horn I'm putting in the cab. Jerry's cab, and those that I see on places like Hard Truckers only have the 12". When I explain this everyone tells me I'm going to have muddy, crappy sound without a horn. Is this right, or is a guitar inherently lower frequency than other instruments making the horn unecessary?

I hope it's not rude to post two questions at the same time.
bcresci
Mickey
Mickey

Postby myoung6923 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:58 pm

The JBL e120 works between 50 and 6000Hz. It produces brilliant and clean high end as well as nice deep low end. You absolutely won't need a horn.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby willmusic » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:13 pm

It's not typical to use high frequency horns/tweeters in a guitar cab, though there have been exceptions (John Cipollina.) Most of the time, electric guitars stay within the midrange. In the end it all comes down to the sound you're looking for. If you want a Jerry sound, the Twin, MC2300, and E120's are a good start. Jerry's sound could be trebly indeed, but horns/tweeters would be a stretch.
willmusic
wolf
wolf

Re: McIntosh 2300 and custom speaker cabinet

Postby Dozin » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:42 pm

bcresci wrote: how are you connecting the 2300 to their speaker cabs. And how are you connecting your amp to the 2300?

The speaker should be wired in parallel. If you use 2 JBL's with 8ohm load, you would hook it up to the 4 ohm load on the Mac.

Your amp is the 2300. You need a preamp to hook to that.
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby willmusic » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:47 pm

Wow, Dozin! I totally forgot about the Twin's lack of preamp out! Silly me.. :D :D
willmusic
wolf
wolf

Postby Dozin » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:59 pm

willmusic wrote:Wow, Dozin! I totally forgot about the Twin's lack of preamp out! Silly me.. :D :D

Well, I would preamp the twin if you gone this far. Really easy to do. Waldo has documented the specifics. Just gotta poke around for the info.

However if you don't have a clue don't kill yourself because it could happen if you go poking around blind.
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby deadguise » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:30 pm

I'd hate to be your roadie but good luck with your plans.
deadguise

connectors?

Postby bcresci » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:21 am

Thanks for the info. The Mac has standard stereo / speaker connectors on back. Are other people using special connectors that convert the pos / neg terminals into a 1/4 inch jack?
bcresci
Mickey
Mickey

Postby playingdead » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:20 am

That will be a terrific setup!

You can preamp the Twin, or get a Groove Tubes Trio preamp, which Jerry used later. If you go that route, you will also need some reverb. People have used the Alembic preamps as well.

Post some recordings when you get it done!

Not to turn this post into a garage sale, but I have a spare Trio preamp on hand, as well as a Peavey Valveverb tube reverb rack unit. And a pro-made cocoa tolex head cabinet and road case that will fit the Twin Reverb chassis. if anyone is interested, just PM me.
playingdead

Re: connectors?

Postby playingdead » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:23 am

bcresci wrote:Thanks for the info. The Mac has standard stereo / speaker connectors on back. Are other people using special connectors that convert the pos / neg terminals into a 1/4 inch jack?

You can just cut the plug off a heavy gauge speaker cable and wire accordingly or solder spade connectors onto the ends. I would leave the cable attached to the Mac at all times, and unplug it from the speaker cabinet to tuck it into the road case when you're moving the rig.

Jeez ... I hope you won't be moving the rig yourself!
playingdead

Re: connectors?

Postby waldo041 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:01 am

bcresci wrote:Thanks for the info. The Mac has standard stereo / speaker connectors on back. Are other people using special connectors that convert the pos / neg terminals into a 1/4 inch jack?

the dead crew changed the speaker outputs of the mc2300 to banana plugs for easier and more reliable connections. the inputs were converted to 1/4" jacks.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby jenkins » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:09 am

To hook up my preamp to my mac i use a 1/4" TS> RCA cable. Very common cable.

TO hook up my mac to the speakers I mounted bananna clip adapters to the speaker terminals on my mac. Than I use a bananna clip > 1/4" speaker cable to go from my mac to my speakers.
This is definetly how Garcia ran his speakers from his mac.

I haven't been able to find any definitive information on whether he modified the mac's inputs to tak 1/4". After using the 1/4 to RCA cable I really don't see any need to modifify the input.

What size venues does your band play? Do you have a road crew?
jenkins
Billy
Billy

roadie and band

Postby bcresci » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:41 am

Wish you hadn't asked that. I'll tell you what I told playingdead offline. I have a job (and a kind wife), which means I sometimes buy some things I probably shouldn't. This whole project is > 50% just my love of music and sound.

Currently I'm in a neighborhood band that just started up.We're novices that will probably mostly just play outdoor gigs locally. Some of us are contemplating stepping it up a notch, but that may be a ways off.

So...I'm my own roadie. This whole setup is probably overkill, I know, but...I'm hooked on sound.
bcresci
Mickey
Mickey

Postby jeffm725 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:33 pm

dont forget.............the following....people who are much more versed in the inner workings of the Mac and preamped twins than Iam swear by the notion that an often overlooked ingredient of Jer's rig/sound was that he was driving the Mac at 2.66 ohms instead of 4, by using 3 8 OHM JBL's wired in Parallel.

By the way, Vic and mikeY, hows it goin guys?!
it is Jeff M from Shakedown/Legion of Jerry , when I saw Vic and Mike post in the same thread I figured it was time for me to sign up! :-)
jeffm725

Postby myoung6923 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:35 pm

Hey Jeff!

Welcome!
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion