Alligator Pickups? Stock? Alembic?

Chat about Equipment Info

Alligator Pickups? Stock? Alembic?

Postby Dennis » Fri May 16, 2008 5:56 pm

Does anyone happen to know with any certainty whether the pickups in Alligator, in 1972, were the original Fender stock '57 pickups, custom-wound Alembic jobs, or stock Fender pickups from 1972? I know Jerry liked to replace his pickups often, but with what? And would he really yank out '57 strat pickups?

On the other hand, in 1972, '57 strat pickups would only be 15 years old, so I guess it would be like yanking out pickups now from a 1993 strat. Maybe '57 strats didn't have the same aura back then. Beats me.

Anyway, I'm facing a pickup choice for my franken-strat, and I'd like to do whatever I can to get that Europe '72 sound..

I know this has been discussed before, but I'll be durned if I can find it in the archives. Sorry if this revisits an old topic.

Thanks,

Dennis
Dennis
welcome
welcome

Postby waldo041 » Sat May 17, 2008 7:14 pm

ron wickersham has said that the alligator pickups were stock. whether they were 57's is debateable. its also been said that it is not an all 57 strat. while they had the ability to custom wind there pickups, they did not do that for jerry.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion