Mutron III - New ebay record?

Chat about Equipment Info

Mutron III - New ebay record?

Postby Pete B. » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:52 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Mu-Tron-III-Musitronics-mutron-with-BOX_W0QQitemZ160227395676QQihZ006QQcategoryZ118994QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So this seems like it might be a record, not sure, but interesting none the less.

This topic intrests me today, because I bought an original Mutron III yesterday :cool: , at a small town music store on the Oregon coast.

I'm still kinda shocked that I now own one.
It'll take me a while before I'll be able to discuss what I paid for it :? , but I now feel like I did really good compared to the one above, which looks great.
Seeing a few in the recently sold section on ebay today (in the 300-400 range) kinda hurt my feelers for a minute, but the 1K+ one, and a couple in the $650 range made me think... one in the hand beats two on the 'bay!

I have always feared the ebay method of buying one of these units, as the few I have tried in vintage stores were in varying states of functionality.

So I got it yesterday, and haven't been able to mess with it (beyond playing it at the shop) due to being out of town, and now at work.
It looks really clean though (the cleanest I've seen/touched myself), and seems to function great. I will post a pic tonight and a clip later in the week.

This morning, less than 24 hours after coughing up more than I ever have for a pedal, I plunked down another $59 for the power supply from Lingenberg Sound.

I gotta sell some stuff now, as my buy/sell/trade balancing act got a little outta wack this week!

Funn Stuff!... (a little scary, but fun!),
Pete B.

ps
How do I fix the format so it is all in one window?
pb
Pete B.

Postby strumminsix » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:22 pm

Congrats, Pete! Please tell me you plan on using a GCX or an equivalent and keeping her safely tucked into a rack?!
strumminsix

Postby Dozin » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:34 pm

I'm surprised by the closing cost of that Mu-Tron. Where's the big gray vintage knobs?
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby weirimpressed » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:17 pm

there was a mutron on craigslist atlanta a while back,I cant remember the price though..

ill check and get back to ya
weirimpressed

Postby Pete B. » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:58 pm

Here are two pic's of the one I picked up yesterday:

As you can see, I'm not sure about the knobs (the center one is a known replacement).
Other than that, it looks really clean (the bottom is nearly spotless). I don't think it saw much action.
Cool!
Pete B.
Pete B.

Postby jonarobb » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:17 pm

That's great that you got one Pete. There's no substitute. I love mine and the story that goes with it is very endearing. There was a band in NYC a few years back and all there gear got ripped off out of their van on the day of their show. Because they were friends of a friend of a friend, etc, somehow I got talked into lending their guitarists amps and guitars for the gig. And I huffed into the venue for them. After the gig was over one of the guitarists was venting how bummed he was that all of his shit was stolen. He says, "It's weird how they didn't take this one pedal that I never use." When I asked what it was, thinking that it was probably so junky that even thieves wouldn't steal it, he said his father gave it to him and called it the "Jerry Pedal". I knew.... I asked to see it and sure enough it was a very early Mutron III with the original PS-1 power supply packed into a very cool old WWII ammo box. I didn't even bother to contain myself and told him right away ironically how valuable they are. And this was at least 4 years ago. They ended up staying in the city for a few days before heading back to Florida and I get a call from the same guitarist, from a pay phone on the NJ Turnpike. He says they were so jazzed about being treated so cool with the loaner equipment, and do I want the Mutron? I rolled a fatty and drove to meet them and he gave me his last pedal, that wasn't stolen, and was a hand me down from his dad!!!!

I love having it. It gets a lot of use in various gigs I do. Works perfectly and has some great karma and mojo to it!
jonarobb

Postby waldo041 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:03 am

Pete B. wrote:Here are two pic's of the one I picked up yesterday:

As you can see, I'm not sure about the knobs (the center one is a known replacement).
Other than that, it looks really clean (the bottom is nearly spotless). I don't think it saw much action.
Cool!
Pete B.

thats a good one pete! the middle knob is non original, but the other 2 original. they stopped using the big gray ones at some point. i think i have an extra one of those black ones laying around i would be more the happy to let you have. if you want it.

one thing i might say about vintage mutrons and there difference from piece to piece, is the electrolytics. a nice electrolytic cap change would tighten up an older, not so good mutron. most of the originals are at the age and need this change as e/caps start to leak with age.

my 2 cents.
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Pete B. » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:13 am

Waldo,
Thanks for you offer on the knob (really, thanks alot, man!). I have sent you a PM with my address.

Here is a link to a pic I came across on the net, of two Mu's with different knobs:
http://62.166.25.10/Gear/Piccies/P6260142.JPG
(I deleted the embedded image because it came out to big and loaded really slow).

I agree, those big knobs certainly say "MuTron!!!" in a manner similar to "SUNDAY!!!... Sunday... sunday... at Raceway Park..."! :-)

I am taking the new Mu to a jam tonight (battery powered).
'Listened to Estimated on the way into work this morn.
:cool:

Edit:
Are the serial numbers on these units actually a date?
`pb
Pete B.

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:47 am

Working on Estimated ?
V-I-D-E-O !
:smile:
:cool:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Pete B. » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:46 am

'Used the Mu last night for the first time...
Just Absolutely Glorious!
Someone needs to start replicating these things.

I see another one on ebay just went for $900 buy-it-now (see completed auctions).

Wow.
A new world has opened up for me!
We played for about 2 hours (guitar/vox,bass,drums) and I used it on every song.
I ran Guitar>Mu>Volume Pedal>two Fender Amps (the Princeton Chorus 65, and Blues Jr that are at the rehearsal place).
Just killer.
'Can't wait to try it with my main rig.
Pete B.

Postby jenkins » Mon May 05, 2008 6:21 pm

There is a Mutron III on craigs list fo $750. He says it is an original musitronics from the '70's

This one has a battery. I didn't think the orig mutron III';s had a battery but I dont really know as Ive never actually seen a mutron in person (other than on stages when watching bands)
Did the mutron III have a battery?

Are there any fake mutrons out there?
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby Pete B. » Mon May 05, 2008 7:16 pm

That is an original.
You can get a new power supply (I got one and it works perfectly).
http://www.lsound.com/Products.htm

Looks like we have a new Ebay record (Looks like a stellar piece, but... ouch$!$!):
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-MUTRON-lll_ ... dZViewItem
Pete B.

Postby jonarobb » Mon May 05, 2008 9:50 pm

Pete B. wrote:That is an original.
You can get a new power supply (I got one and it works perfectly).
http://www.lsound.com/Products.htm

Looks like we have a new Ebay record (Looks like a stellar piece, but... ouch$!$!):
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-MUTRON-lll_ ... dZViewItem

You have to take into account that this stuff is selling internationally and right now the US dollar sucks around the world. It's a great time to sell stuff on Ebay if you're willing to open bidding to international buyers. That Mutron at today's exchange rate was in the $600 range US. I have a lot of friends and clients that buy and sell gear and everything is going overseas. People over there aren't stupid. The American dollar has really tanked and gearheads around the world are overjoyed!
jonarobb

Postby Pete B. » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:43 pm

[thread ressurection]

Hey Gang,
I just took a stroll through Ebay "Completed Listings" using the following searches: "Mutron", "Mu-tron", "Mu tron".

Alot of Mu's being sold in the sub-$500 buck range lately.
I think the lowest one I saw went for $231 with 21 bids.

Maybe a good time to get one, as they seem to be coming out of the woodwork?

Just sharing an observation.
~pb
Pete B.

Postby phpbb » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:23 am

phpbb

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion