My New Amp is Almost Finished!

Chat about Equipment Info

My New Amp is Almost Finished!

Postby waldo041 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:52 am

should be fired up soon.

just wanted to post my newest project. it's a weber amp kit 6A20HP ( Fender Deluxe Reverb Clone).

Preamp - AB763 with bright cap change to match twin reverb.
Power Amp - 6L6's for 35 watts vs. Deluxe Reverb 22 watts.

eventually,

i plan on adding both preamp out taps and adding Bias Test points. also, webers OT has a 2 ohm. 4 ohm and 8 ohm tap, so i plan on an ohm selector at some point.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby ThePilgrim » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:33 am

That is incredible man!
Astronauts of the Inner Space
ThePilgrim
tiger
tiger

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:34 am

Soulman !
Wow thats cool.
Looks friggin' complicated.
About how much does a kit like that go for?
I'm real impressed by the guys on the 'KIND who got the D.I.Y thing going.
Cant wait to check out what it sounds like.
Peace

:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby waldo041 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:18 am

Tennessee Jedi wrote:About how much does a kit like that go for?
:smile:

$399 shipped with NO Speaker or Cabinet. i have a line on a cabinet and i am going to be using a JBL K-120 i have already.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby playingdead » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:17 am

Looks great, Waldo!
playingdead

Postby weirimpressed » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:21 am

amazing man, cant wait till i have enough knowledge to build my own gear, starting a project with a buddy building a guitar this summer!

post some sound clips when its done!
weirimpressed

Postby jenkins » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:45 am

That thing is sick waldo. I bet that will sound awesome. Theoreticaly it should sound like a vintage twin did brand new. That is pretty cool.

How many hours has it taken you to build that? Ho experienced are you with electronics. I am not very experienced but it looks like that is not too complicated. What do you think. Is it a pain in the ass to do this?

Can you wire that without the power section so it is just a twin preamp?
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby waldo041 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:00 am

jenkins wrote:That thing is sick waldo. I bet that will sound awesome. Theoreticaly it should sound like a vintage twin did brand new. That is pretty cool.

with about half the power!

jenkins wrote:How many hours has it taken you to build that? Ho experienced are you with electronics. I am not very experienced but it looks like that is not too complicated. What do you think. Is it a pain in the ass to do this?

i have some experience in electronics. that said, this is my first amp build, but not my first rodeo. i have tinkered with amps for long enough to take the dive. there are lethal voltages in an amp so i advise you to do some research before attempting it. after it is all done i would say it took about 10 to 12 hours for me to complete it. i spread that out over a week or so span!

jenkins wrote:Can you wire that without the power section so it is just a twin preamp?

i would imagine one could, but why not wire up the power section for at least backup. the removal of the power tubes is all that is needed to render that section inoperable for the preamp out.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby High Peaks » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:44 pm

:cool:
High Peaks

Postby milobender » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:15 am

Thanks for the exellent pics Waldo! Are you putting in seperate bias pots for each power tube? I read an interesting piece from Kevin O'Conner discussing how matched tubes are a waste of $$$ since the output transformers aren't ideal, as well as the tube characteristics changing differently as time goes by... it's an easy add...

Brian
IO Custom Guitars
www.iocustomguitars.com
Everything we know is wrong...
milobender

Postby Shooster » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:01 am

Hey Waldo... is that a golf cart in the first picture?
Shooster
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby strumminsix » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:25 am

I kinda chuckle at balanced tubes and this and that...

Most of our heroes would simple go down to the 5 and dime and plop their tubes into a tester find the bad one and replace it with whatever they had in the store.

Of course tubes were military spec so they were closer then but I think too many people make too big a deal out of tubes - especially poweramp. Preamp can have a great deal of an impact but still no need to go nutso.
strumminsix

Postby waldo041 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:28 am

milobender wrote:Thanks for the exellent pics Waldo! Are you putting in seperate bias pots for each power tube? I read an interesting piece from Kevin O'Conner discussing how matched tubes are a waste of $$$ since the output transformers aren't ideal, as well as the tube characteristics changing differently as time goes by... it's an easy add...

Brian

i am going to just add bias test points on the back one for each tube and one for ground. i thought about the 2 bias pot mod but have not researched it enough yet. i guess i should. thankx

and yes it is a golf cart. we have 4 of them out here at the airport i work at!

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby FairTheeWell » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:10 pm

Kudos To Waldo...

Very impressive work my friend. Keep the pics coming!

8)
FairTheeWell
Keith
Keith

Postby waldo041 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:58 am

waldo041

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion