Groove Tubes Trio preamp

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Groove Tubes Trio preamp

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:57 am

keirweir wrote:Whats with the aqua blue sweats in the second photo...

Jerry's the only guy on earth cool enough to do that, but damn. I couldn't face a huge crowd dressed like that, those are tragic and I'm not even fashionable.
I think Vic should get some aqua sweats, white high tops a Red xxl tee shirt for his next videos and keep it real down to the wardrobe, I double dog dare ya.... :lol:
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby strumminsix » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:12 am

JonnyBoy wrote:
keirweir wrote:Whats with the aqua blue sweats in the second photo...

Jerry's the only guy on earth cool enough to do that, but damn. I couldn't face a huge crowd dressed like that, those are tragic and I'm not even fashionable.

I don't think Jerry was "cool" per say. I also thought it was rather odd that he dressed like that. Understandable if he was a drummer.

Then again I always find it odd when adults wear sweatpants out of the house.
strumminsix

Postby Chuckles » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:35 am

From what I recall, Jerry was counseled to stop wearing all black and start wearing brighter colors as part of his rehab... this goes all the way back to the "trouble ahead; Jerry in red" days of the mid 80's...
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:39 am

keirweir wrote: Gotta love Jer jamming on while Bob fixes his rig durring the 2nd jam in Jack Straw..

Why does bob just stop playing like that? I mean, he played half the song already with that tone, why not keep it up with something? I would never just stop playing for 2 min and screw with my gear in the middle of a jam.
JonnyBoy

Postby strumminsix » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:54 am

keirweir wrote:This screams Piezo to me... Gotta love Jer jamming on while Bob fixes his rig durring the 2nd jam in Jack Straw... This is Jerry at his BEST in the 90's in my opinion but I always thought he had the Piezo in the Bolt. The Bertha solo sounds like an accoustic

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1993-08-22.mtx.hansokolow.98235.flac16

Something that I may have said earlier but I cannot find it is that when you take a band mix and add in guitar preamp-out and send it to a board and compare that to that same guitar and that same preamp but into a poweramp and speakers it will have an acoustic like property.

I've used an out for some sound reinforcement but would not use it as a main output.
strumminsix

Postby playingdead » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:05 am

strumminsix wrote:Something that I may have said earlier but I cannot find it is that when you take a band mix and add in guitar preamp-out and send it to a board and compare that to that same guitar and that same preamp but into a poweramp and speakers it will have an acoustic like property.

I think the clips I put on page 6 of this thread illustrate that point pretty effectively ...
playingdead

Postby strumminsix » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:14 am

playingdead wrote:
strumminsix wrote:Something that I may have said earlier but I cannot find it is that when you take a band mix and add in guitar preamp-out and send it to a board and compare that to that same guitar and that same preamp but into a poweramp and speakers it will have an acoustic like property.

I think the clips I put on page 6 of this thread illustrate that point pretty effectively ...

My bad. I skipped over that part yesterday while in the office and never went back. But yes, agreed.
strumminsix

Postby WilliamC » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:22 pm

If anyone cares, there's a Trio on the 'bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Groove-Tube-Trio-Gu ... 500wt_1109
WilliamC
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby gpilcher2001 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:42 pm

chimming in really late on this one but I own a chrome trio. When I bought it I didnt have a power amp yet so I would play it with head phones plugged in the output. You definetly get that acoustic tone playing it this way. So my thought is the direct sound is extremely acoustic. But he did use cab simulators between the board and his rig. Food for thought. I think he had an ADA cab sim in his set up. That info is over on dozin.
good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor.....
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Counterstriker » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:42 pm

Was the Groove tube that jerry used modded at all or was it stock? a friend of mine had one for a little while and I played it though my qsc and jbl e-120 I found it very brittle and light.
Counterstriker

Postby nealsandblast » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:08 pm

i do not agree with any opinions on the tone of garca not being up to snuff '93 and later. i run the stainless stings, the dimarzio super 2's, the coil taps, the 5 way pickup switch, the pre amp in the guitar, the grove tubes trio, a silver face with pre amp out, solid state power section, jbl e 120's, alisis midi verb, lexicon 100, mxr phase 100, boss octave 2 , ge7, mutron 3 +, roland gk3a pickup, roland gr 30, roland super jv 1080, korg M1R, and i do get very very close to reproducing exactly 99% of just about any tone that garcia had from 1971 to 1995. the groove tubes trio clean chanel is so fucking garcia style 1993, 94 clean that it trips me out. it is by far no way mimicking a silver face. im not sure for fact but groove tubes clames that it mimicks a blackface pre on the clean chanel. i had a 98 reisue and it sounded nice but it did not sound like anything that i ever heard jery play. compaing a black reisue to a silver or the trio into a solid power amp in my opinion i now after owning all configurtations for years i say the reisue sounds nothing like garcia and my rude self richousness will stand on my opinion that i think reisues suck. (for playing jerry tones) go to you tube and listen to the ramble on rose from like 1994 (he was wearing a purple shirt) mid super 2 on single coil, into the trio, touch of concert reverb off the midiverb, intothe solid into the jbl e 120s. DO NOT USE NICKEL STINGS< or you will not be anywhere close to sounding anything like that cut. call me if u want to jam any one- area code(6 three zero) 971 - "done" (3663) Downers grove, Illinois, name is neal
nealsandblast
welcome
welcome

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:38 pm

I have noticed playing my SMS through a tube 6l6 amp you get back to the real '65 fender twin sound of the late 60's or early 70's.

You put that same preamp to the board and its a completely different tone even with the same settings, much like the 94-95 Jerry.

Again, if you plug it into a SS amp like a crate block and you get a different amp tone with the same exact preamp a little closer to the 80's stuff but not quite there.

Plug it into a Macintosh amp and you have a new and improved amp tone like Jerry's 80's rig. I think its impossible to judge a preamps tone unless we are all using it like Jerry did through the same types of power sections.
JonnyBoy

Postby gpilcher2001 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:12 am

What the hell is this guy talking about?!!!
good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor.....
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby kbdeadhead » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:06 pm

OK,

Well now I think everyone is smoking crack with the theories of direct line into the PA, etc. Its not the direct line in, IMHO it has to do with the Super IIs and the gain settings on the pre. (at least that is my present guess)

I have each and every piece of equipment he used circia 1993 - 1995.

I am in an aweful way! All the sudden, I am getting the WORST tone out of my Groove Tube Trio. I have the terrible sound like that acoustic, twangy sound, some refer to as a piezoelectric pick-up. Its terrible!!!!! Unless I play Peggo-O....

I presently play a Moriarty Wolf>
OBEL ( with a UGB)
Groove Tube Trio;
MC2300,
Hard Truckers w/ JBL E120s,
all of the effects etc, etc.

My dream rig sounds like SHIT~!! Maybe its my playing, but I have been playing Jerry guitar for 25 years....

I was informed the way to use the equipment is LOW gain, HIGH volume. I am trying with disastrous consequences, especially when I have the coil taps set to single coil.

Looking at Waldo's photo of the Jerry Rack from the RnR Hall of Fame, the Gain knob is very high, but I don't really trust those knob settings, as any bozo could have fumbled with them during the move, set up, etc.

HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!!

Kelton
kbdeadhead
welcome
welcome

Postby playingdead » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:11 pm

You're being led astray. Dime the gain and the volume on the Clean channel of the Trio. It's designed to be run that way. Adjust the rest to taste ... but be aware that the tone controls are interactive with each other, so if you turn the treble up, you get a lot of treble but if you turn the treble up and the bass down, you get even more treble. Leave the bass and the mids at noon and dial in the treble, then adjust the other two accordingly. Big swings in sound. Forget what people say ... use your ears and find the sweet spot.

From the manual:

The #1 CLEAN channel has been voiced to respond like an early blackfaced Fender preamp, and has very low gain to it so it almost cannot be driven into distortion. Therefore, we recommend that with most normal output guitars, that you set the Gain and Volume of this channel fully turned up and adjust your power amp level to the right volume for the stage.
playingdead

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion