Wall of Sound

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Wall of Sound

Postby JonnyBoy » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:48 am

imagine that loaded down with 150 lb macs and such. I bet the wheels barely rolled. forget pushing it up a ramp into a truck!

http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:37 am

JonnyBoy wrote:imagine that loaded down with 150 lb macs and such. I bet the wheels barely rolled. forget pushing it up a ramp into a truck!

It was probably about as heavy and wieldy as a Hammond B3.

I have a vintage Fender expert telling me that is DEFINITELY an early 60's blonde-tolex Fender reverb unit sitting on the floor next to Jerry's rack.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:11 am

Interesting that they used a 10+ year old reverb unit with their cutting-edge sound system. Could it have been modded or had its guts completely replaced with something else?
Rusty the Scoob

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:47 pm

Could it have been modded or had its guts completely replaced with something else?

I think that question could be asked about any piece of gear from any point in their history! :lol:

It's a soundcheck photo so perhaps it wasn't used for the show, just in the preparations somehow. I't's fairly early in the evolution of the Wall- maybe it was used briefly for Jerry's side monitors, and then ditched(?)
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Grant » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:47 am

tigerstrat wrote:
JonnyBoy wrote:imagine that loaded down with 150 lb macs and such. I bet the wheels barely rolled. forget pushing it up a ramp into a truck!

I have a vintage Fender expert telling me that is DEFINITELY an early 60's blonde-tolex Fender reverb unit sitting on the floor next to Jerry's rack.

wow right you are, i never noticed that before. so at least for some time jerry was using that rather than the reverb in the twin.
Grant
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:29 am

Grant wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:

wow right you are, i never noticed that before. so at least for some time jerry was using that rather than the reverb in the twin.

I think that is jumping to that conclusion to assume that Jerry was using it for his guitar... I'm thinking maybe he just wanted a touch applied to his side-fill monitors. Could have been a guitar experiment, but who really knows?
tigerstrat

Postby tcsned » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:02 pm

tigerstrat wrote:
Grant wrote:
I think that is jumping to that conclusion to assume that Jerry was using it for his guitar... I'm thinking maybe he just wanted a touch applied to his side-fill monitors. Could have been a guitar experiment, but who really knows?

I think he just needed something to stand on to reach something on top of his rig :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
tcsned

Postby JonnyBoy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:06 pm

That's awesome TS, I knew you would look into that :smile: I would ASSUME he was using that in his private mix during sound check. It seems haphazardly placed on the ground to be a significant part of the signal chain for the show, I would think it would be well secured somewhere if he used it in his main rig. I bet that stage is shaking when the whole wall is blaring, sending vibrational feedback into that little box. Maybe an experiment like you all said or his rig had issues being addressed at that moment; maybe his twin's verb had issues last minute. So much to speculate its almost not worth it :lol:
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby waldo041 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:30 pm

tigerstrat wrote:I think that is jumping to that conclusion to assume that Jerry was using it for his guitar... I'm thinking maybe he just wanted a touch applied to his side-fill monitors. Could have been a guitar experiment, but who really knows?

TS, as noted in our offline discussion, the pictures show that he used both sides of his mc2300 with the Normal and Vibrato channels jumpered together so each side of the mac got a channel. as discussed, this would leave the Normal channel with no reverb. so, this new evidence could infact debunk that assumption, and that fender reverb unit could have been used for the normal channel giving him both channels with reverb.

i reached out to wickersham to clarify, so with some luck we may find out exactly what that reverb unit is there for.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion