Wall of Sound

Chat about Equipment Info

Wall of Sound

Postby old man down » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:08 pm

I was lucky enough to have seen one concert that used the Wall of Sound. It was Springfield, Mass in 1974 around May, can't remember the date off hand with out my Dead Book 11.

Everyone has seen the color picture of them performing with it behind them. Jerry is to the left, black Tee and jeans, looking trim and fit, no beard (he actually looked awful without his beard, everyone was weirded out by his look that summer), Weir in the middle playing what looks to be his Gibson 335, Lesh with his Alembic Bass, Keith over on his own, and just Billy behind everyone, carrying the beat.

Question: What show do you think that photo is from?

Clues:

1) March 23, 1974 till October 1974, 37 shows.
2) Warm weather
3) Outdoor concert.
4) Sunny day.
5) Tree tops can be seen in the stage background.

Someone must know this answer.
old man down
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:40 pm

Yo Old Dude Down,
Dont know the answer to that one.
Was wondering what the Wall sounded like.
I mean at the the show.
As a younger guy,most of my shows were in hockey rinks.
Was it ripping loud?
Crystal clear ?
Must have been way cool...... :cool:
Tennessee Jedi

Re: Wall of Sound

Postby BlobWeird » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:00 pm

old man down wrote:I was lucky enough to have seen one concert that used the Wall of Sound. It was Springfield, Mass in 1974 around May, can't remember the date off hand with out my Dead Book 11.

Everyone has seen the color picture of them performing with it behind them. Jerry is to the left, black Tee and jeans, looking trim and fit, no beard (he actually looked awful without his beard, everyone was weirded out by his look that summer), Weir in the middle playing what looks to be his Gibson 335, Lesh with his Alembic Bass, Keith over on his own, and just Billy behind everyone, carrying the beat.

Question: What show do you think that photo is from?

Clues:

1) March 23, 1974 till October 1974, 37 shows.
2) Warm weather
3) Outdoor concert.
4) Sunny day.
5) Tree tops can be seen in the stage background.

Someone must know this answer.

I know the pic and I believe its in The Illustrated Trip. Cant help ya though. Ill look in the book tonight though and see if I can scratch up an answer. And I think he looked perfectly normal with his big ass mutton chops.
BlobWeird

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:05 pm

Which picture? Post it.

There are some good color ones from 5/25/74 Santa Barbara, 6/16/74 Des Moines, iirc ...below:7/21/74 Hollywood Bowl

By the way "3/23/74" was a very arbitrary "debut" date for the WoS... the configuration had actually been in practice since 11/30/73. Nor was 3/23 any kind of "finalized" version, since the vocal & piano cab-clusters were still under construction and the clusters on 3/23 were assembled from stacked individual cabs.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby deadguise » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:02 pm

Nice pic TS, got any more? Can you imagine playing with something like that behind you? What an awesome concept.

Hey Old Man, are you talking about the photo with the black wind screen behind the WOS?... Reno???
deadguise

Postby old man down » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:57 am

The sound was just normal, really. Nice and clean, though. I remember being in the seats to stage left on Garcia's side, and when they started the first few songs calls would go out from around me, "Garcia! Vocals!" because we weren't getting them too well by us. Then, next thing you know, the vocals would come up a notch.

But it was so cool in the Civic Center, just before the show, walking around in the hall and then coming into the arena and seeing another viewpoint of the Wall of Sound. And all those Macintosh amps with their blue glowing view-meters. I still remember hearing them play Stevie Wonder's I'm Too High through the system, crystal clear. And knowing that the best band on earth would be starting their show within the hour.

Man, I like that photo from Tigerstrat. Looks like the Space Shuttle is just out of view, the scale of things, so to speak.

Garcia without his beard removed a little of the mystique about him. Back then no one had tons of pictures and so most of the pictures were from album covers and the back of albums. I always thought he looked the coolest with his hair not too long and with the beard sort of fluffy. He was like the professor of cool riffs. A wizard. Guru. The one and only. The original from the Electric Kool Aid book.

The pic is somewhere on the web and rukind uses it for our avatars when you're pretty much a newbie.
old man down
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby JonnyBoy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:58 pm

Here is another Hollywood bowl pic that you can see well

and another link http://www.audiojunkies.com/blog/730/an-insiders-look-at-the-grateful-deads-wall-of-sound

Didn't see them in the archives.... Had to post the link the youtube embed is not functioning properly.
Last edited by JonnyBoy on Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby JonnyBoy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:00 pm

some reason the youtube thing acting up here's a linkhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PODPgBaiFI4&feature=related
JonnyBoy

Postby Maybeck09 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:49 am

My guess is Reno. Seems to be some good shots from that show in the books. or Oakland which is 6/8/74.
Maybeck09
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Pete B. » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:29 am

Is that Morley Wha (or V-ped?)?
Pete B.

Postby tigerstrat » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:04 pm

Pete B. wrote:Is that Morley Wha (or V-ped?)?

Vol/Wah combo, I think. Sounds like he is using the Volume mode during the GD Movie soundcheck segment, and on some of the Space segments of the era. Bruce Polonsky's shots (like in DVD liner) from the same Winterland run show what appears to be a single all-black pedal. Seems uncharacteristic for him to have switched in mid-run... just throwin this out there: possibly a Foxx Fuzz Wah Volume pedal?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:59 pm

Early incarnation of the stack

a little later

In may the right side seems a little light at sound check

Last edited by JonnyBoy on Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonnyBoy

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:04 pm

This is Reno and by Billy's statements his first time to see the monster in action .

A good picture of Jerry

A cool pic of the set up

I need one of these above me as I sing. :lol:

The cluster under fabrication.
JonnyBoy

Postby tigerstrat » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:05 pm

JonnyBoy wrote:Image

Early incarnation of the stack

Left to right: the 2x15+12's+5's pile= sidefill for Garcia (probably mostly piano & vocals); then Garcia's amp locker, Garcia 12-cabs, Drum(overhead) 12+5-cabs (w/horn cluster on top), Kick drum 15-cabs, Bass 15-cabs, and Vocal Low 15-cabs. Weir's 12-stack is actually just out of the frame to stage-left.

Dang there's something I never noticed in this pic: sitting on the floor in between the amp "locker" or rack is what sort of looks like an old blonde Fender Reverb Unit. Nah...
tigerstrat

Postby unnbrokenchain » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:22 pm

I rock the 10 ft. high filing cabinet rig too lol...fuck that!
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion