Jerry's Guitars

Chat about Equipment Info

Jerry's Guitars

Postby paulee » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:16 pm

Where are they now...Im sure private collectors have them....any info...????
"Hey,...take up some slack, and try to be more Jerry like"..-David Grisman
paulee
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby caspersvapors » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:22 pm

the owner of the colts owns Tiger
not sure who owns Wolf
his tb-1000 was auctioned recently (as well as some of his other guitars)
his tb-500 was for sale for 250 grand on some website, not sure if it still is
i believe the dead own rosebud, not sure about lightning bolt
caspersvapors

Postby paulee » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:35 pm

I knew Tiger was auctioned off...interesting the owner of the colts has it..

thanks for info on the rest.
paulee
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby willmusic » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:44 pm

Wolf is owned by a "private collector" who loans it out from time to time. I got to see it played by Herring with the Dead a couple years ago. It was pretty sweet. I think I'd read that the Cripe guitars, Bolt and Top Hat, were in his workshop when it exploded.
willmusic
wolf
wolf

Postby Dozin » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:33 am

Bolt, Top Hat and Rosebud are in the R & R Hall of Fame.
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby weirimpressed » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:29 am

rosebuds beautiful..
weirimpressed

Postby swainsonsthrush » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:14 am

My first stop at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame whenver I go (not very often).

Hey Paulee...are you checking your PMs? I sent you one last week.
all good things in all good time
swainsonsthrush
tiger
tiger

Postby shakedown_04092 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:22 am

My new luthier/guitar tech, Andrew Olsen from http://www.aoguitars.com, actually worked on Wolf after the owner purchased it while he was working for his last company. Completely gutted the thing, cleaned it up for him, and also made him 2 Wolf replicas so the dude can play them out instead of the real deal $900k one. Can't blame the guy for not wanting to bring that thing out in public very often.

Anyways, Andrew was telling me some really cool stories about Wolf, like how beat up it was, all cracked and what not, and how all the electronics were rusted out and what not. He said Jerry's sweat was very acidic and that kind of stuff had to be replaced quite often on his guitars.

FWIW - the guy lives in Freeport, ME, about 20 mins. from me, and seems as solid of a guy as any I've ever met or spoken with. Been to his shop and it's phenomonal. I'll be having him make me a guitar at some point, because his work is fucking flawless - he's anally retentive when it comes to details, which is exactly what you want in a luthier. I believe he's currently making a couple of Languedoc-inspired guitars (not replicas, per se) and also has templates to make Wolf, Tiger/Rosebud/Top Hat/etc., so if anyone's looking for a master to build them one, check him out, you WILL NOT be dissapointed.

I for one am THRILLED that I found someone like that that only lives 20 mins. away.
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby krzykat » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:25 am

shakedown_04092 wrote:My new luthier/guitar tech, Andrew Olsen from http://www.aoguitars.com, actually worked on Wolf after the owner purchased it while he was working for his last company. Completely gutted the thing, cleaned it up for him, and also made him 2 Wolf replicas so the dude can play them out instead of the real deal $900k one. Can't blame the guy for not wanting to bring that thing out in public very often.

Anyways, Andrew was telling me some really cool stories about Wolf, like how beat up it was, all cracked and what not, and how all the electronics were rusted out and what not. He said Jerry's sweat was very acidic and that kind of stuff had to be replaced quite often on his guitars.

FWIW - the guy lives in Freeport, ME, about 20 mins. from me, and seems as solid of a guy as any I've ever met or spoken with. Been to his shop and it's phenomonal. I'll be having him make me a guitar at some point, because his work is fucking flawless - he's anally retentive when it comes to details, which is exactly what you want in a luthier. I believe he's currently making a couple of Languedoc-inspired guitars (not replicas, per se) and also has templates to make Wolf, Tiger/Rosebud/Top Hat/etc., so if anyone's looking for a master to build them one, check him out, you WILL NOT be dissapointed.

I for one am THRILLED that I found someone like that that only lives 20 mins. away.

dude i briefly lived in freeport a couple of years ago. (sorry for interceoting the thread)
krzykat

Postby shakedown_04092 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:29 am

Wow, small world, eh? Funny thing is, there's nothing "free" about Freeport. :shock: :lol:
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby willmusic » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:29 pm

Dozin wrote:Bolt, Top Hat and Rosebud are in the R & R Hall of Fame.

Thanks Dozin!
willmusic
wolf
wolf

Postby paulee » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:10 pm

So who actually owns Bolt, Tophat and Rosebud...the Dead??? or private collector, or did the R and R hall of fame buy them?

....the fame website has nothing about the guitars....a shame really.
paulee
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby waldo041 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:31 am

here is a link before wolf and tiger were sold at auction. i believe that there are only 3 in the case now (rosebud, bolt, tophat). don't know what they did with wolf jr, but it's the headless one.

http://www.dancingbearakitas.com/jerrysguitars.htm

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby paulee » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:02 am

very cool..

tks waldo
paulee
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby SpaceYrface43 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:54 pm

I have been to the R&R HofFame recently and saw some of jerry's guitars. If i remember correctly Rosebud, Lighting Bolt, Top Hat, and headless were in the display case. I'm not sure if the bolt and hat were original due to the fact i heard they were destroyed in the blast at Cripes shack. Needless to say it gave me chill's to see Rosebud in person so close. It's something you have to experience for yourself. I think the Cripes might be original due to the fact they were all Midi ready.????
SpaceYrface43
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion