LET'S SEE SOME JERRY RIGS!

Chat about Equipment Info

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:02 am

yo Myoung Dude
Thats some cool shit ya got going!
Awesome that you held on to the Resurrection!
Hey I dig that E bow ya got.
Any luck with it?
Things are tricky little bastards.
I think its the Cornell 77 where you can hear BOB E bow- ing it up during Slipknot.My one buddy always says its Jerry but if you listen you can hear Jerry doing little riffs while the Bob gets cool E Bow sustain/feedback.
Too bad for for your ex -bandmates,you seem to have your shit together!
:cool: :cool: :cool:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby myoung6923 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:46 am

ha! Thanks!

Well, I rarely use the ebow - only during some really spacey jams I might break it out and get really wacky with it - that;s really all - it's just a toy.
myoung6923

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:38 am

Yeah I like to listen to the tape it comes with and space out to that guy who does all those spacey sounds.
I really cant get a feel for it though.
Did you try the picking the note down further on the string with the QTron?
I play a Strat with a Pearly Gates in the bridge.Dont know if your Resurrection will react the same.
Any of the BOLT on tape you could lay on us mere mortals? :cool: :cool:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby myoung6923 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:47 am

Well - as far as the issue with the Q-Tron and the string sensitivity. I was responding to someone else that had this issue. I am quite used to it and have pretty good picking control to get the sound that I'm trying to get - I don't have any issues with it at all.

As far as tape - well, there's plenty of recordings with it - some good, some not - I'll post a couple of links. It sounds a little different on a lot of recordings because I'm always experimenting with the electronics of both the guitar and the amp.

Here's my last band's audio download page: http://www.bigrhythmwine.com/audio/
the recordings from about march 07 or so are all with the Bolt. Before that it was the modded PRS.

Also here's some youtube video - mostly with the bolt: www.youtube.com/bigrhythmwine
myoung6923

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:52 am

MYoung Dude
Yeah I've checked you guys out before.Never saw the Stranger vid though.No I guess you dont have any probs with the Qtron!Wailing stuff!
Hey when I read that 1 of your band mates was giving you shit about how much space you took up with all your gear,I thought well yeah thats a valid point considering most of the bars my way are teeny tiny places that dont have enough room for bands.
But after watching the Stranger vid I realize that you guys play on some big Stages-so what in the world was your bud complaining about?
You got some wailing stuff going on-keep rocking!

:cool: :cool: :cool:
Tennessee Jedi

For Shakedown:

Postby paulee » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:20 pm

Nice equipment you have, and axes. I have a custom Alembic Tribute I had made back in '06...
I want to know about the Qtron you have and the Discumbobulator as I am thinking of getting these soon....any feedback on these pedals would be grand!

thks
paulee
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Re: For Shakedown:

Postby strumminsix » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:42 pm

paulee wrote:I want to know about the Qtron you have and the Discumbobulator as I am thinking of getting these soon....any feedback on these pedals would be grand!

thks

Check out this thread:
http://community.rukind.org/viewtopic.php?t=2335
strumminsix

Postby mikepand » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:07 am

Let me start by saying MYoung has an incredible Jerry rig, sounds great, nails the sound to a T. But due to the "bag o dicks" comment I thought I would rectify something.

The whole band came to me to suggest you have a small rig and a large rig like me due to the fact we were playing small clubs and big clubs. That was it. No one was attacking you or giving you undue shit. We were playing the Captains Club in Dennisport which has a 12X6 stage and we were trying to get 2 drummers, 2 guits, a bass and a keyboard up there. The keys never even got on the stage. Your rig was 2 full racks and was not needed in such a small area.

That was it. Simple request for a simple reason. Me trying to keep everyoen else happy, thats it.

So Jerry's out there. Unless your playing large amphitheatres or small stadiums, perhaps a small rig at times would do you and the band better.

Or maybe not.

Peace,
Mike from big rhythm wine
mikepand
Brent
Brent

Postby mikepand » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:53 pm

PS: and the "intimidation" thing in regards to MY's rig was just part of the conversation.................. once again, MY's rig was great. he nails the sound to to the T. I am just clarifying this talk about me.......

My point was to him and to all of you now is on a small stage and in a small room, a rig that was that big just LOOKS loud. It is percieved as loud. The same way my long hair gets me percieved as a certain way. It certainly did to the bar owner and the bartender as they told me we were too loud by just looking at the stage. Before we even played a note! "why do you need such big amps?" was said.

A rig for an arena looks loud in a small dive bar. Simple as that. And the gig is more important.

and to mention again, space was completely an issue in this instance. No one wants to be left offstage......

How is that malicious? I dont know....why would I be told to eat a bag o' dicks for that? I don't know man....... It certainly was never intended to be malicious and I apologize to Mike if thats how it was recieved. It was an honest and righteous suggestion from the whole band not just me. Dont shoot the messenger.

It's about keeping the owner happy folks, because honestly, there are too many bands and too few gigs to fuck it up over having to have certain equipment on stage or in the room or any other similar BS.

i'd rather play regularly than deal with stupid crap and I do.

That is knowledge that all musicians should carry with them.

:cool:

peace,
Mike
mikepand
Brent
Brent

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:04 pm

Hey man
Dont let it bother ya - people just spouting off.
:cool:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby mikepand » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:10 pm

It's all good. I've been reading these posts for years. I only decided to join in when I saw myself and my band being mentioned.

It is what it is and everything happens for a reason.

Personally, I just like playing Dead tunes with my boys. Next to my family nothing gives me more joy.

At least I'm enjoying the ride!

Mike
mikepand
Brent
Brent

Postby Mick » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:05 am

The MY and mikepand dynamic is really interesting to me from a professional standpoint. I have worked previously in "conflict resolution" and see many of the exact same dynamics here as happen all over. I would like to throw out a few comments, but I first want to say that I am not taking sides with anyone, nor passing judgement on anyone, just stating observations as an outsider looking in, and knowing that I am only seeing a very small piece of what was going on.

Mikepand obviously has some valid points here. I have zero experience playing in a rock band on stage, but I don't think you need any experience to see that a 12'x6' space is very small for 6 musicians, especially when those 6 include two percussionists. Clearly in that environment it is incumbent on every member of the band to bring as little equipment on stage as they reasonably can. Mikepand apparently was the band member who talked to MY about reducing the size of his rig, in keeping with the spirit outlined above, and says that there was no malicious intent when that communication happened.

However, MY apparently complied with the request to build a smaller rig as we have photographic evidence showing us this is so. I assume this involved substantial cost to MY, as well as a fair amount of his time, and I am guessing this is his leisure time too as I assume he has a day job or school or something. Regardless of the fact that he complied with the request, MY later left the band in what appears to me to be an extremely pissed off state. So pissed off that he talked openly here about selling his really really sweet guitar, and essentially giving up playing "Jerry parts" altogether.

Given the above, most of which could be viewed as facts, I see only two reasonable conclusions, one more likely than the other:

1. The communication channel between MY and his former band is/was badly broken.

2. There is a lot more going on here that none of us on the board know about.

Mikepand: As far as the "bag o' dicks" comment, I would keep in mind that this was made by another poster who has the same amount of information regarding the situation as I do = very little. Since at the time, none of us knew who you were, I don't see there being any reason for you to take that personally.

Mick
Mama Mama many worlds I've come since I first left home.
Mick
Jerry
Jerry

Postby mikepand » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:23 am

Mick I would say you hit the nail on the head bro.

Lack of communication was the complete problem as is per usual with these kinds of things. Yes there is more to it, totally, no there is no need to get into it. It really is stupid, both sides.

And yes I understand where the "bag o dicks" comment came from. But I also understand that in one post I am maligned and in another he is using BRW as an example of his playing. So whatever, I don't mind either, but if your going to talk about us as a band, and give out bad information, I feel I need to keep the story correct. And I have.

mike
mikepand
Brent
Brent

Postby Mick » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:08 am

Mikepand: I agree with your entire post for the most part. There is no need for anyone to get into it further, as long as both parties are happy with the current situation.

A couple of additional comments your post generated in my mind: You have an apparent uneasiness with MY using your band's site to show examples of his playing. I think that what he has done here is fine in my eyes (again, the outsider with extremely little knowledge of what happened), he really did the playing and he is upfront about the fact that it didn't work out for him in BRW and that he is no longer with the band.

IMO,I don't think he "maligned" you, as he said he felt you were on his case about his rig and other things, and I think it is clear he really feels that way so I don't think he is being dishonest in any way. He also didn't go into much detail or rant on and on, or use your name, call you or other people in the band names, say the band "sucks", or anything else that I would view as being malicious. I think the spirit of his posts was clear, that things didn't work out between him and the band, so he left.

I totally support your effort to "set the story straight", and the fact that you were playing clubs with a 12x6 stage is important to the story, so that is appreciated. I'm also glad to see you posting as more views is always better on boards like this IMO.

Mick
Mama Mama many worlds I've come since I first left home.
Mick
Jerry
Jerry

Postby mikepand » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:25 am

Mick,

I don't mind him using us as an example of what he did. I really don't at all. If I did I would have taken it off the website a long time ago. I am proud of this band and any and all era's. With whichever guy we had on lead. We have never been about an individual. nor should any band be.

Regardless of what I think of him personally now or of how he left the band, he did a great job in this band. He was always on time, knew his stuff and helped out on the business side. But also, I gave him an oppurtunity, a great one in an established band, so any even small slight certainly bothers me and the rest of the guys that I represent.

Like I said, bad information is bad information and if it involves me, and it did, I will have to say something about it.

Really, this is a musicians forum mostly. if any lesson can be learned here is that communication is king. Because if him and I had it, he would still be rockin out with us. I firmly believe anything can get worked out if it's talked out. It's too bad we didnt go that route.

We should really put this to a rest. I'd rather talk Jerry..................But thanks for letting me tell my side......

Mike
mikepand
Brent
Brent

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion