blackface 65 reissue

Chat about Equipment Info

Postby steve6string » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:29 pm

Ground lifted as in you cut off the 3rd prong on the amp?

-s
"I know this song, it ain't never gonna end! "

http://www.myspace.com/steve6string
steve6string
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby CommonStranger » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:34 pm

Ouch, sounds like it might be time for the repair man. I just got my 65 back from the repair man yesterday. $75 was well worth it to get the reverb working again and allowing me to stop scratching at my brain. Might be a bad pre-amp tube or something simple. My repair guy said that they're actually fairly simple to dianose and repair compared to some amps. I was expecting a much higher bill.
"two for five, three for ten"
CommonStranger
bruce
bruce

Postby steve6string » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:43 pm

Does it do it with the guitar plugged in either channel?

steve6string
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby pappypgh » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:11 am

What up, fellas?

Well, I just bought a 65 Reissue Deluxe Reverb. Listen, StrumminSix & all you other good RUK pals-o'mine....you can get down to the copper wire all you want. IT MOSTLY COMES FROM THE FINGERS, BABY!!! Watch the video of Garcia sitting in w/ Carlos Santana on YouTube where he is plugged DIRECTLY into a Roland Jazz Chorus. No effects. It's Garcia's sound. Sounds like Jerry, 'cause IT IS JERRY. Until you lop off your ring finger on your picking hand and learn to move your fret hand like the Grand Master, himself, you are never going to sound just like Jerry.

I just recently "test drove" about 8 different Fender Amp models. This Deluxe Reverb reissue gave me THE cleanest sound up to about 6 on the volume knob. My new guitar is VERY hot in the pickups, with a pair of passive, custom-wound Lindy Fralin High-Output humbuckers, so in order for ME to achieve a great "Jerry-esque" tone, I want THE CLEANEST tone I can find when I'm using the clean channel. If I want dirt, I'll use my Boss Distortion/Overdrive pedal. This amp absolutely rocks. If you go to my band's website ( www.theCAUSEjams.com ), you will hear me playing through my old Fender Blues DeVille 4x10. I still get a half-decent Jerry sound (most of those songs are me on my old 91 American Std. Fender Stratocaster). Now that I have the phase switch on the new axe, I can get more Jerry-esque tones.

I swear by this new 65 Reissue. Even if you are playing at a HUGE venue, let the house system do the work. Keep your amp between 3-5 on the volume and let the soundman put your guitar in the monitors, if you need.

There is only one amp that sounds best at 10, and that's a Marshall - very un-GD like sound.

My best piece of advice? Don't overthink this shit - just pick up yer guitar and play, man!!!

:cool:
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
pappypgh

Postby strumminsix » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:22 am

sup, pappy?! Glad you are diggin the new amp!

I just don't like the Fender RI's. Had nuttin but problems with them.

For my money I like non-PCB for repairability.

You cannot say the JC is like any run of the mill amp!

It's the sweetest SS amp EVER created!!!!!!

(BTW, my fingers can only do so much so sometimes I need more help from better gear)
strumminsix

Postby CommonStranger » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:32 am

I'll agree with the fingers, but I'll add strings. Vinci 677 light special. Set yourself up with the cleanest tone you can get and just let the E string ring open with your preferred string. Then, slap on some Vincis and repeat. There is a noticable difference in tone. I tried them because Jerry used them, but I have not found another brand that I like better for tone, tuning and longevity.

You can set a lot of amps up for a clean tone and get pretty close to Jerry's tone, but yes, a lot of it is just your playing. Knowing when to have a light or heavy touch, tremelo and all you hammer ons and pull offs is really a lot of what it boils down to. Whether he was playing his rig, a "special guest" rig or an accoustic, you could always tell it was him.
"two for five, three for ten"
CommonStranger
bruce
bruce

Postby steve6string » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:43 am

I agree completely with pappypgh, at least his philosophy. Jerry sounded like Jerry regardless of what guitar he was playing or amp it was connected to. I don't agree about the Fender RIs. LOL. Design wise, there's no reason at all theat The delux should stay cleaner than a Twin, or even a Super. I find them all too bright, and they're a pain to work on. I do all my own repair work so that's important to me.

Enjoy it pappypgh, I'm sure you sound GRATE.

-s

steve6string
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby steve » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:48 am

pappypgh wrote:
There is only one amp that sounds best at 10

"The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and... "
steve
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby pappypgh » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:49 am

steve wrote:
pappypgh wrote:
There is only one amp that sounds best at 10

"The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and... "

"Well, why don't you just make 10 louder?"
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
pappypgh

Postby steve6string » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:56 am

My Gibson amps go to 12!

-s

steve6string
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby waldo041 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:11 am

pappypgh wrote:What up, fellas?

Well, I just bought a 65 Reissue Deluxe Reverb. Listen, StrumminSix & all you other good RUK pals-o'mine....you can get down to the copper wire all you want. IT MOSTLY COMES FROM THE FINGERS, BABY!!! Watch the video of Garcia sitting in w/ Carlos Santana on YouTube where he is plugged DIRECTLY into a Roland Jazz Chorus. No effects. It's Garcia's sound. Sounds like Jerry, 'cause IT IS JERRY. Until you lop off your ring finger on your picking hand and learn to move your fret hand like the Grand Master, himself, you are never going to sound just like Jerry.

i agree in part, i understand that jerry sounded like jerry on whetever he played. But, i would differ in that his tone was seperate from his style of playing. they are different and more or less what posts like these are searching for is getting his tone, not his chops. the year of a dead tape can and sometimes are recognized by what he was using or others.

i look at it like this. jerry was an artist and his gear was his tools to make his art. the artist is irreplaceable but the tools can be bought again. same thing goes with these types of posts. some people would rather have all or part of the tools before they learn to make the art. some are artist just looking for the tools.

just my 2 cents.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby pappypgh » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:21 am

waldo041 wrote:some people would rather have all or part of the tools before they learn to make the art. some are artist just looking for the tools.

Dig it, Waldo - nice interjection.

But, I bet Michaelangelo could make better stuff peeing on snow than I could!! :lol:
www.theCAUSEjams.com

pappypgh

Postby waldo041 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:08 am

pappypgh wrote:
waldo041 wrote:some people would rather have all or part of the tools before they learn to make the art. some are artist just looking for the tools.

Dig it, Waldo - nice interjection.

But, I bet Michaelangelo could make better stuff peeing on snow than I could!! :lol:

naw, both of you would just be making yellow snow. 8)
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby astroman99 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:09 am

Everyone is talking about Jerry's tone like it is homogenous thru-out his years, when I hear much variation, the strat years, and especially the Travis Bean years are much differnent then other era's,
My fav is the Travis bean, heavey, fat, raucnhy, and crunchy, the way I like it!
thats all
astroman99

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion