The Wolf

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: The Wolf

Postby paulinnc » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:14 pm

Finally some real progress!!!! I opened my email today to find this little beauty sent to me from my local builder.

paulinnc

Postby Emoto » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:09 am

Nice!
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby TI4-1009 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:12 am

With my SG/Wolf build going on I've been doing a lot of Wolf research. Mostly new territory for me since the Wolf was always a distant second for me behind Tiger. Two comments and one question-

I had always though of Wolf as "the 70's guitar" and Tiger as the 80's. Yeah, I had been through the timelines over and over, but when you add it up Wolfie was really only in use for like five years?! Mid 73-mid 75, then Sept. 77 to Aug 79. The Beans were in between.

You always think of Tiger in the SHH configuration, but Irwin's work on Tiger was paralleling the evolution of Wolf. I wonder if in Tiger's early development it was being conceived as an SSS like Wolf was during that time? Wolf didn't go to SHH until "late 78"- less than a year before Tiger was done.

I just noticed in Waldo's (excellent as usual) Wolf 1.0 section "Note: Alembic chrome plated brass bridge with brass saddles and 3/4" purpleheart wood riser inlayed into the body underneath. What's with that?? Did they want a solid sonic connection to the purpleheart core (the studs should have gone down that deep anyway), or did they have to raise the bridge? Or was the riser an Alembic thing? Did the riser stay when they went to the harmonica bridge?
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion