Standard fender telecaster?

Chat about Equipment Info

Standard fender telecaster?

Postby AugustWest » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:02 am

I was just dicking around on guitar center and sam ash's website looking for a possible electric guitar. Money is a little tight and I was looking around 300 to 500 dollar price range. I saw that a lot of you are really impressed with the faded gibson sg running at around 600. My question is I see they have these "standard" strats and tele's on sale for $399. Has anyone played one and how do they compard to the "mexican" fenders or "american" fenders.

Are they good for the price? I play in a mainly blues/americana band. So I was thinking a tele might be better then the SG. I'm going to have to go to the store and try all three of them anyway but just wondering what you guys thought about them. If the american telecaster sounds loads better I would rather wait a month or two and save then spend it on the "standard" tele. However if this is good value I would love to save some money. Thanks for the help.
AugustWest
Bobby
Bobby

Postby Panda Licker » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:18 am

I've always found that with cheaper fenders is that it varies a lot from guitar to guitar. I know people who have played a Mexican Telecasters and Stratocasters for years, and love theirs. I've also met other people who have bought them online, and sold them a month or two later because they hated them so much.

And it works the same way tonewise. An expensive American strat or tele will sound better than most cheaper ones. But thats not to say that it sounds better than them all. The problem in my opinion is Quality Control. Fender make can good cheap instrument, but they only do it on maybe 1 out of ever 20 they produce.

My advice to you when buying a cheaper fender (And by cheaper I mean under 8 or 9 hundred) is to go to guitar center and play every one they have. You'll notice that some will play great, others will feel and sound like shit. This doesnt mean swear off the Cheap fenders, but rather, only buy the Exact fender that you played and liked. There a lots of Mexican Fenders and even Sqires floating around that play like champs. But they're few and far between.Do not under any circumstances go to GC, play a Tele you like, and then order an "identical" one from an online destributer. More likely than not, you'll regret it.
Spanish lady come to me, she lays on me this rose.
Panda Licker
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby frankielee » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:39 am

I got my standard strat 2 weeks ago from musicans friend sight unseen for 399...after i brought in for a set up at the guitar store in town I can't put it down I agree it's a crapshoot...but as the previous post said they are out there.also have squier tele 170 bucks and i love it...I would not suggest buying on line per sey...but musicans friend has a 45 day return or trade policy...I have had to do this with one of my other guitars and it was no problem...they are really easy to work with and they stand by their policy...Good Luck!
frankielee
Jerry
Jerry

Postby Long Distance Runner » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:43 am

Definitely get it. I have one and I love it. You will not find another guitar that is as much of a good bargain. The neck feels so comfortable and the tone is beautiful. I got mine in electron blue.
Goin' where the climate suits my clothes.
Long Distance Runner
Donna
Donna

Postby AugustWest » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:55 am

Thanks for the post guys. I think I'll go to guitar center and sam ash tonight and try them all out. I'll let you know how it goes. However I was just wondering what is the difference between the "standard" and the american. Different is one handmade and one not? Or do they have different electronics. Sorry I am a complete novice when it comes to gear.
AugustWest
Bobby
Bobby

Postby Panda Licker » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:11 pm

AugustWest wrote:Thanks for the post guys. I think I'll go to guitar center and sam ash tonight and try them all out. I'll let you know how it goes. However I was just wondering what is the difference between the "standard" and the american. Different is one handmade and one not? Or do they have different electronics. Sorry I am a complete novice when it comes to gear.

I looked it up, and I found this site
http://www.kellyindustries.com/guitars/ ... ndard.html

Here is the part that compares the two.

This is the 'Standard' version of the Fender Telecaster which is manufactured in Ensenada Mexico. It has the same styling as the original tele made in the 1950s. It's a part of the Fender Standard Series of guitars and is what you would expect to find in a telecaster. This version is very close to the American made version but is different in a number of ways. The neck on the standard has a maple only fretboard 21 frets while the amercian version has both rosewood and maple with 22 frets. The pickups aren't quite as good on the standard version and it doesn't have the Delta Tone circuit. There are a number of other differences but usually it comes down to money. I would say that if you want a guitar that will hold it's value and actually increase in value over the years then get the American Telecaster. If you are simply interested in a good sounding and playing tele then the Standard version is probably better for you.

Neither are really 'hand made' either. Both are done on CNC machines. The difference between them is that an American will have better choices of wood, and will have a LOT more time spent on detailing it and setting it up at the factory. Mexican Fenders have almost no setup, and just sort of come as is. Thats all adjustable ofcourse, but keep it in mind when you're at the store wondering why the action is so off. If it comes down to you being on the ropes over the purchase, make one of the GC workers set it up for you the way you like it before you agree to buy

(Make them set it up even if you do like how it is already. Just do it so that they're finally working instead of sitting around, discussing Velvet Revolver and calling everyone who walks in the door 'Dude' or 'Man'.)
Panda Licker
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby Henry » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:28 pm

Panda Licker wrote:I've always found that with cheaper fenders is that it varies a lot from guitar to guitar. I know people who have played a Mexican Telecasters and Stratocasters for years, and love theirs. I've also met other people who have bought them online, and sold them a month or two later because they hated them so much.

And it works the same way tonewise. An expensive American strat or tele will sound better than most cheaper ones. But thats not to say that it sounds better than them all. The problem in my opinion is Quality Control. Fender make can good cheap instrument, but they only do it on maybe 1 out of ever 20 they produce.

My advice to you when buying a cheaper fender (And by cheaper I mean under 8 or 9 hundred) is to go to guitar center and play every one they have. You'll notice that some will play great, others will feel and sound like shit. This doesnt mean swear off the Cheap fenders, but rather, only buy the Exact fender that you played and liked. There a lots of Mexican Fenders and even Sqires floating around that play like champs. But they're few and far between.Do not under any circumstances go to GC, play a Tele you like, and then order an "identical" one from an online destributer. More likely than not, you'll regret it.

This does not only apply to cheaper guitars, but has always been that way with Fender. almost no two guitars are alike, Especially those from the 1970s are notorious for that. There are some absolutely great ones, but there are also those who sound just like crap. I know because I've played many of them. Nevertheless, people seem to be willing to pay outrageous prices for them these days.
Henry
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby KCJones » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:07 am

I would take a look at the G&L Tribute ASAT (tele copy). I think they are much! better value than the foreign fenders. You can find them in the low $400s. I've even seen used ones in the low $200s.

http://www.glguitars.com/tribute/instru ... /index.asp
KCJones
Billy
Billy

Location: Kansas City, MO via Buffalo NY, San Diego CA, San Jose CA and Wash DC

Postby waldo041 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:34 am

Henry wrote:This does not only apply to cheaper guitars, but has always been that way with Fender. almost no two guitars are alike, Especially those from the 1970s are notorious for that. There are some absolutely great ones, but there are also those who sound just like crap. I know because I've played many of them. Nevertheless, people seem to be willing to pay outrageous prices for them these days.

very true, in fact, the same reason jerry perferred custom made guitars. he always felt that all production made guitars differed from guitar to guitar. the travis beans were the only ones he had multiples of. he was astounded at how close the beans could be from guitar to guitar.

choose wisely!

peace,
waldo
Last edited by waldo041 on Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Panda Licker » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:51 am

KCJones wrote:I would take a look at the G&L Tribute ASAT (tele copy). I think they are much! better value than the foreign fenders. You can find them in the low $400s. I've even seen used ones in the low $200s.

http://www.glguitars.com/tribute/instru ... /index.asp

I'd like to back that up

I have a G&L Tribute L2000 bass, and while it is different than its American brother, they' do come very close. And one of the benefits of these compared to the fender is that even though they're foreign made, they use all american electronics (except maybe your pots and input jack) and they're set up in the American G&L facility before being shipped to the customer
Panda Licker
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion