Pedal board set up help

Chat about Equipment Info

Postby strumminsix » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:56 am

jackr wrote:I use a Fender Twin Amp 100-Watt All-Tube Guitar Amp

The vibroverb was too expensive and I really liked the sound of this one.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/produc ... sku=480649

Can't go wrong with a Twin! I forgot they did a reissue of the VV. It's an interesting model to dial in that's for sure! My 64 doesn't have a mid pot so I had to really learn a new way to think about the tonestack.
strumminsix

Postby myoung6923 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:44 pm

I use: Octave OC2> phase 90 (modded)> Q Tron> Turbo Overdrive OD2> Overdrive/Distortion OS2> EQ GE7> Giga Delay DD20> Holy Grail Reverb > Fender Twin

My guitars have buffers and loop - The Twin is heavily modded. I also use a hard truckers style 2 x 12 cabinet with JBL E 120's. I go for the Jerry tone... :smile:
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:23 am

strumminsix wrote:For SRV you need to have 64 Vibroverb with a Jensen AlNiCo which I happen to own and may be willing to part with it for the right price!
(I'm totally joking here it's a ridiculously expensive amp that I am fortunate enough to have gotten on trade which was totally in my favor cuz the guy didn't want to hassle to restore nor the capital to pay for service)

I've seen a pic of the back of SRV's Vibroverb during a performance (I think this was actually in a Fender catalog of 1-2 years back) and the speaker was a JBL, appeared to be a K-120.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby strumminsix » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:29 am

tigerstrat wrote:
strumminsix wrote:For SRV you need to have 64 Vibroverb with a Jensen AlNiCo which I happen to own and may be willing to part with it for the right price!
(I'm totally joking here it's a ridiculously expensive amp that I am fortunate enough to have gotten on trade which was totally in my favor cuz the guy didn't want to hassle to restore nor the capital to pay for service)

I've seen a pic of the back of SRV's Vibroverb during a performance (I think this was actually in a Fender catalog of 1-2 years back) and the speaker was a JBL, appeared to be a K-120.

Really??? I'm shocked to say the least. Of course I was only joking about selling mine but I digress. I swear when I hear SRV I hear the trifecta of clipping: preamp, poweramp, & speaker. (maybe part of it was due to an undersized OT?) That said, I figured it *had* to be the AlNiCo since I assumed that the JBL would have more headroom
strumminsix

Postby shakedown_04092 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:29 am

Kind of off topic:

Speaking of pedal chain set-ups.....mine goes like this:

Gibson SG (soon to be Resurrection Fishy Hollowbody!) >
Mu-Tron III >
Ernie Ball Volume Pedal >
Vox Wah >
TS808 (anologman silver mod) >
TS9 (silver mod) >
MXR DynaComp >
Boss TU2 chromatic tuner >
Boss DD-6 digital delay >
Visual Sound H20 chorus/echo pedal >
Digitech Whammy II (sometimes) >
Fender HotRod Delux

Here's my question: when I turn on the Mu-Tron, I lose a considerable amount of volume....any ideas on how to fix this?
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby strumminsix » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:34 am

shakedown_04092 wrote:Kind of off topic:

Here's my question: when I turn on the Mu-Tron, I lose a considerable amount of volume....any ideas on how to fix this?

Put it in a loop like the Keeley Japaneses apartment with an eq pedal after it. That's the easiest.

Or you can have the MIII modified with by a tech to include an opamp and pot to bring up the volume. Personally, I wouldn't do that but it is an option.
strumminsix

Postby shakedown_04092 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:58 am

strumminsix wrote:

Put it in a loop like the Keeley Japaneses apartment with an eq pedal after it. That's the easiest.

Or you can have the MIII modified with by a tech to include an opamp and pot to bring up the volume. Personally, I wouldn't do that but it is an option.

Thanks Nick!

Edit: checked w/ the guys at Keeley and don't think that'll work unless I also get a boost pedal with it.....damn! But you're saying you think an EQ after it would work as well? Hmmm....

Well, without having to spend about $200 to "fix" this problem, I think I'll just have to settle for turning up then back down every time I turn it on/off.

Oh well.

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

shakedown_04092

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:35 pm

strumminsix wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:

Really??? I'm shocked to say the least. Of course I was only joking about selling mine but I digress. I swear when I hear SRV I hear the trifecta of clipping: preamp, poweramp, & speaker. (maybe part of it was due to an undersized OT?) That said, I figured it *had* to be the AlNiCo since I assumed that the JBL would have more headroom

If I can find that catalog again, I'll try to confirm amd/or scan. I'm a fan but had never read anything about his gear until pretty recently

<edit>
Oh 15" duh!!. I mean a K-130
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:19 pm

Speaking of pedal chain set-ups.....mine goes like this:

Gibson SG (soon to be Resurrection Fishy Hollowbody!) >
Mu-Tron III >
Ernie Ball Volume Pedal >
Vox Wah >
TS808 (anologman silver mod) >
TS9 (silver mod) >
MXR DynaComp >
Boss TU2 chromatic tuner >
Boss DD-6 digital delay >
Visual Sound H20 chorus/echo pedal >
Digitech Whammy II (sometimes) >
Fender HotRod Delux

hey Shakedown, if your EB Vol pedal has a "Tuner" jack on it you can run a cable from there to the Input of the Boss tuner, and that takes it out of your signal path. That would eliminate the tone-killing effect at least one non-true-bypass pedal from your signal. Each one counts. Are the AnalogMan true-bypass? Is the H2O? I assume the rest are buffered... that can REALLY kill your Mu-Tron sound.

And you might wanna try chorus before delay, and perhaps the EB Vol at the end of the chain just before the amp.
tigerstrat

Postby strumminsix » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:31 pm

tigerstrat wrote:
strumminsix wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:

If I can find that catalog again, I'll try to confirm amd/or scan. I'm a fan but had never read anything about his gear until pretty recently

<edit>
Oh 15" duh!!. I mean a K-130

Well I figured you meant 130. I'm not doubting you at all just surprised at first. Then remembered he stacked 2 TS808s for alot of his tone and figure that huge mid-hump combined with OD could contribute to what I thought was speaker clipping.

BTW, found this site:
http://www.d.kth.se/~axmon/srv/index.php?menuid=4

That is definitely a JBL with a beautiful aluminum dome.
strumminsix

Postby strumminsix » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:12 pm

BTW, JBLs then EVs for Cesar Diaz:
http://www.tonequest.com/ray.htm
strumminsix

Postby jackr » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:31 am

shakedown,
why do you have a ts808 and a ts9 in the line. They are both tube screamers right?

I was thinking about getting a keeley modded ts808
On tour '76 - '81
Clean & Sober since '87
jackr

Postby waldo041 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:41 am

jackr wrote:shakedown,
why do you have a ts808 and a ts9 in the line. They are both tube screamers right?

I was thinking about getting a keeley modded ts808

i am sure i can answer that for shakedown.

using 2 tubescreamers was a practice used by SRV and still used by Trey and probably some others. i believe SRV used 2 ts808's while Trey used 2 analogman modded TS9's.

trey's can be seen here;
http://www.treyanastasio.com/treysrig/

the idea is to have one set for mild overdrive and the other for more overdrive, but the two used at the same time can give a very nice searing sustain that you hear from both the players mentioned. i personally used a tubescreamer and a fulltone fulldrive 2. using the fulldrive 2 in the same way, i get an added boost feature with both on. it makes for some knarly extreme overdrive. the fulldrive circuit is basically a hot rodded tubescreamer.

hope that helps.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby strumminsix » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:34 am

+1 to Waldo. IMO the biggest thing you get from the 2 that you cannot get from 1 is that sustain that almost cascades upwards to musical feedback.
strumminsix

Postby shakedown_04092 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:26 am

Bingo! Thanks Waldo & SS. I absolutely love them, too. If I could only keep 2 pedals in my chain, those would be the 2, no contest. I'd even get rid of the tuner!

And Jackr, never used or personally heard the Keeley modded TS9 or TS808, but the feedback I've heard from his stuff has all been positive. I went w/ Analogman because that's where Trey got his from. Simple as that.

shakedown_04092

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion