Pedal board set up help

Chat about Equipment Info

Pedal board set up help

Postby Winterland » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:36 pm

How are you people setting up your effects. I have been messing around forever and can use some ideas.
I have a boss pedal board bc60(?)

Twin reverb>Delay>tube screamer>Boss compressor>Phase>Mutron>Telecaster

I need help? Any ideas what order should these be set up in to get better sound?
Winterland
Jester
Jester

Re: Pedal board set up help

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:19 pm

Winterland wrote:How are you people setting up your effects. I have been messing around forever and can use some ideas.
I have a boss pedal board bc60(?)

Twin reverb>Delay>tube screamer>Boss compressor>Phase>Mutron>Telecaster

I need help? Any ideas what order should these be set up in to get better sound?

I'd run it like this:

Telecaster >
Mutron>
Boss compressor>
tube screamer>
Phase>
Delay>
Twin reverb

Most envelopes like to be first
Running a dirt into a phaser is cool
Delays are always last (with reverb and tremolo)

Where you run your comp is your call. I'd say it depends on what you are using it for.
strumminsix

Postby shakedown_04092 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:07 pm

What he ^^^ said fo' sho'
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby jahozer » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:13 pm

I actually run the compressor before the envelope filter. It kind of acts like jerrys gain loop keeping everything steady. bwow bwow bwow.
the rest I agree with. I may put the ovtaver before qtron as well.
I run ES 335>boss CSII compression>mini Qtron>Octave>tube screamer>multi FX> Boss EQ>Delay DD5>Boss RC2 Loop> Ampeg Superjet.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Postby jackr » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:42 pm

I keep my compressor right after my crybaby wah. Everything else is after that. I recently got a noise suppressor but I am still playing around with its placement. I figured it would simply go at the very end but I have been reading that that may not necessarily be the best place for it.

Speaking of pedalboards. I just picked this up about a week ago.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/produc ... sku=150137

It was a bit pricey but I really didnt feel like making my own, and I really liked the hard shell case on wheels.

It aint easy lugging all this gear around at my age.
On tour '76 - '81
Clean & Sober since '87
jackr

Thanks for the input everyone keep suggesting!

Postby Winterland » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:16 am

I will switch some things around and try to get the "SOUND"

I just grabbed this Ibanez as 73 for $200.00 semi hollow body that seems to have a jazz sound and grabs the distortion better.
Winterland
Jester
Jester

Postby lostsailor8782 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:52 am

It's really easy ... take a Strat and a long cord and plug in into a loud tube amp ... boom you got tone, the rest can be done with volume and tone controls and your hands !!!!!!
I only smoke it when I am awake... I promise
lostsailor8782
Bear
Bear

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:55 am

For Jerry sounds, the best placement for those compressors and noise suppressors is OUT of the signal path! :lol:
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby jackr » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:58 am

I am not going for the Jerry tone. I am going for the Jackr tone. Haven't found it yet though!

I really like the SRV tone. I am thinking about a Keeley modded tube screamer. Anyone use one of them?
On tour '76 - '81
Clean & Sober since '87
jackr

Postby strumminsix » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:30 am

jackr wrote:I am not going for the Jerry tone. I am going for the Jackr tone. Haven't found it yet though!

Right on brutha man!

jackr wrote:I really like the SRV tone. I am thinking about a Keeley modded tube screamer. Anyone use one of them?

For SRV you need to have 64 Vibroverb with a Jensen AlNiCo which I happen to own and may be willing to part with it for the right price!
(I'm totally joking here it's a ridiculously expensive amp that I am fortunate enough to have gotten on trade which was totally in my favor cuz the guy didn't want to hassle to restore nor the capital to pay for service)
strumminsix

Postby jackr » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:08 am

I did buy an SRV strat. I just love that fat neck and its tone. It is a bitch to get used to the whammy bar at the top though.

But if it was good emough for hendrix and srv it is certainly good enough for me.
On tour '76 - '81
Clean & Sober since '87
jackr

Postby strumminsix » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:10 am

jackr wrote:I did buy an SRV strat. I just love that fat neck and its tone. It is a bitch to get used to the whammy bar at the top though.

I'm sure. What type of amp do you use?
strumminsix

Postby jackr » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:17 am

I use a Fender Twin Amp 100-Watt All-Tube Guitar Amp

The vibroverb was too expensive and I really liked the sound of this one.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/produc ... sku=480649
On tour '76 - '81
Clean & Sober since '87
jackr

Postby jahozer » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:12 am

jackr wrote:I am not going for the Jerry tone. I am going for the Jackr tone. Haven't found it yet though!

I really like the SRV tone. I am thinking about a Keeley modded tube screamer. Anyone use one of them?

No, but I use the analogman silver mod tube screamer. I absolutely love it. Very versatile. Can get the old 808 brown sound, and a brighter (silver) sound as well.

For Jerry sounds, the best placement for those compressors and noise suppressors is OUT of the signal path!

I know, I know, but I dont play in a Dead tribute band. I like to have a dynamic rig so I can get lots of sounds. I get a very close to authentic Jerry sound with my rig,(with compy off..) And I like the long sustain of the compressor.
I guess I do disagree a bit, because the main reason for the "Jerry loop" was to keep a steady signal to the mutron and still have control from the volume knobs. Thats what the comp does in essence.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Postby jahozer » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:15 am

and these days I am more of the "bobby" in my band, which kinda threw me for a loop, so now I am looking for glassy flangy sounds. I knew I kept that multifx around for something other than a tuner and its very improbbably awesome sounding ring mod.
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion