need help wiring a cripe/lightening bolt style guitar

Chat about Equipment Info

need help wiring a cripe/lightening bolt style guitar

Postby notehacker » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:40 pm

As a woodworker and amatuer guitar builder, I've managed to make a pretty nice guitar in the style of the Cripe lightening bolt. I'm about ready to install the electronics, but I'm pretty ignorant about electronics. I've printed out the tiger guitar wiring diagram from dozin, but it appears to be a bit different than rosebud and the Cripe guitars. Is there anyone who can help me with a few questions?

Tiger has three knobs; two tones and one volume. Rosebud and later guitars have a fourth knob. What is that? For the midi pickup maybe?

If I use three DiMarzio super II's (instead of a bridge single coil) does that mean one more mini switch is required as a coil tap?

Are all switches on/off/on swithches?

Does anyone have a good wiring diagram for the later model guitars?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
notehacker
welcome
welcome

Postby waldo041 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:25 pm

Tiger has three knobs; two tones and one volume. Rosebud and later guitars have a fourth knob. What is that? For the midi pickup maybe?

the 4th is for the volume of the midi pickup.

If I use three DiMarzio super II's (instead of a bridge single coil) does that mean one more mini switch is required as a coil tap?

jerry used a NECK single coil, and NO you will not need a 3rd switch. one set of lugs are unused on the bridge mini toggle and can be used for the neck coil tap. it can be used because wired with a 5 way the bridge and neck pickups cannot be used at the same time.

Are all switches on/off/on swithches?

NO, they are actually standard ON/ON switches. dozin's schem and description conflict eachother.

Does anyone have a good wiring diagram for the later model guitars?

dozin's schem more represent's the later rosebud and cripe guitar's. the sharing of a 500k pot with both a single coil and humbucker was not done by jerry. so the wiring of the 5 way with 3 humbuckers will be just like that schem. just replace the single coil with the third(neck) humbucker. and add the (neck)tap to the extra lugs on the bridge tap.

also gary brawer has also stated that he flipped the middle humbucker and rewired to stay in-phase. dunno if this was just bolt or if he had actually did it to rosebud also.

hope that helps.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby notehacker » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:58 pm

Thanks; very helpful.

larry
notehacker
welcome
welcome

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion