Wah Pedals

Chat about Equipment Info

Postby Scary Pete » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:46 pm

Any crybaby is great I have the zack wylde signature wah its awesome, but i bet the jimi hendrix one is even better
Scary Pete
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Revv23 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:32 am

i have a standard crybaby wah - the entry level one; and i love the way it sounds... though im told it doesnt sound good compared to others, ive never played another one. I'll probably upgrade it to a BYOC WAH someday, i love making byoc pedals. :)
Revv23
TC
TC

Re: Wah Pedals

Postby tigerstrat » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:20 am

tigerstrat wrote:

these are some useful mods.

On my 70's Thomas Organ crybaby, I did the TB and the volume correction, and was thinking about toying with the Gain and Bass Response adjustment, when my Chicago Iron Parachute wah arrived, housed in a Vox shell. The CIPs are pretty intense, with the lower part of the bass range ganged with a volume swell, so you can work different parts of the sweep range for different effects... somewhat of a different learning curve too.

But lately I've been thinking the CIP could use more midrange so I'm thinking of contacting CI to see if he'll tell me which resistor to swap out etc.... or going back and further modding my Thomas.

Update on my Parachute Wah: after experimenting with running the ganged pot remotely in an EB volume pedal (while keeping the guts and switch in the Vox shell alongside), I liked the greater control but the throw was now TOO long. I almost kept it that way and would have mounted both pedals to a small square of plywood, but then I started eyeballing my cheapo Bespeco VM-12 volume pedal, which is plastic and kinda crappy but the pot is turned by a cam, like in a ColorSound.

So I transferred the pot over to the Bespeco and it worked like a charm, PERFECT throw length, using the whole useful range of the sweep; lots of precise control without sacrificing the funk. Even more remarkable was that I found I could take the whole wah circuit, jacks, switch and all and stuff it inside the Bespeco, removing the Vox shell from the situation entirely. I drilled a hole to mount the 9vdc jack and voila! Self-contained insane sounding wah pedal in disguise. Since the switch is just stuffed inside the housing, it's always "on", so I'll just kick it in and out with a single-loop bypass pedal. My new secret weapon! Hope to record and post in the not too distant.

Looks like this one. Drilled and mounted the 9v jack in that semicircular recess in the side (can't tell what it's actual purpose is[?]) :

say, mods I couldn't really decide which of about three significant wah threads of the past couple years to post this to; is it possible to merge any of these?
viewtopic.php?f=309&t=1984
viewtopic.php?f=346&t=5368
viewtopic.php?f=419&t=5659
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby KCJones » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:10 pm

Budda BudWah. No shrill highs. Seems most well balanced.

http://www.budda.com/gear/gear.cfm?series=610
KCJones
Billy
Billy

Location: Kansas City, MO via Buffalo NY, San Diego CA, San Jose CA and Wash DC

Postby strumminsix » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:38 pm

KCJones wrote:Budda BudWah. No shrill highs. Seems most well balanced.

I'm a big fan.
strumminsix

Postby JonnyBoy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:00 pm

strumminsix wrote:
KCJones wrote:Budda BudWah. No shrill highs. Seems most well balanced.

I'm a big fan.

Never knew they're home office is an hour away from me. I'm going to check that out, looks cool and need a wha.
I am guessing a spin off from Peavey? they're Headquarters are right down the street from there.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:16 pm

Quick update to my above post: I went for it, and mounted the momentary switch under the toe. At first glance, it hadn't seemed like it would have the headroom for the switch's height- it was close but a good fit, and is working well. Totally self-contained Chicago Iron/Bespeco hybrid wah!
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion