Wah Pedals

Chat about Equipment Info

Postby astroman99 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:33 pm

I have heard the real deal is Fulltone Wah!
astroman99

Postby I'm on the Bozo Bus » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:23 pm

I should do a little research to verify but....
I picked up a Thomas Organ Compnay wah from an aunt and uncle whos son died in Vietnam. He saved his money bought some gear ('68 Strat - '68 Twin and this wah. Or so I've been told)
Sad news... He was killed in action. My aunt and uncle gave the guitar and amp away to a buddy of his. He didn't want the wah. While helping them dig through a bunch of stuff in the mid-'70's, I found the wah. They thought it was a nutcracker.... Go figure. It actually was pitched in the trash pile.... dumpster diving I go.....

I have bought morley's, Vox's, no-names, and the names that came and went. I ALWAYS went back to the Thomas. Now...
I will un-mount it from my board, and search for serial numbers and such and see what this thing is....
Point you say????
Same point I always make...
Sometimes the old dusty, dirty stuff may be "The Sound" for which you are looking.
Old man post #2 for the day.....
PEACE,
Phil
I'm on the Bozo Bus
Billy
Billy

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:04 pm

I'm on the Bozo Bus wrote:I should do a little research to verify but....
I picked up a Thomas Organ Compnay wah from an aunt and uncle whos son died in Vietnam. He saved his money bought some gear ('68 Strat - '68 Twin and this wah. Or so I've been told)
Sad news... He was killed in action. My aunt and uncle gave the guitar and amp away to a buddy of his. He didn't want the wah. While helping them dig through a bunch of stuff in the mid-'70's, I found the wah. They thought it was a nutcracker.... Go figure. It actually was pitched in the trash pile.... dumpster diving I go.....

I have bought morley's, Vox's, no-names, and the names that came and went. I ALWAYS went back to the Thomas. Now...
I will un-mount it from my board, and search for serial numbers and such and see what this thing is....
Point you say????
Same point I always make...
Sometimes the old dusty, dirty stuff may be "The Sound" for which you are looking.
Old man post #2 for the day.....
PEACE,
Phil

Sweet find, Phil. My 70s T.O. wah is nice and smooth sounding. Does yours have the "stack o dimes" inductor marked "03"? You might want to pop a new potentiometer in there at some point.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby I'm on the Bozo Bus » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:25 am

Thanks TS, it was quite the find.
You are probably correct about the pot... I could change it but right now with my SRO gig in my music room it doesn't see the action it once did...

As far as the inductor, I have to plead ignorance. I wouldn't know the difference from an inductor to a conductor.... Well perhaps I could make that distinction.. Regardless.
This is a "Snap" of the pedal, then a feeble attempt at a close up. The close up shot is of a component that is marked wth an "03".

I'm taking the rest of the week off, and the kids are in school... Plenty of timefor me to research..
Thanks again TS, any comments would be appreicted if you can tell if this is as old as I think it is. At this point age doesn't matter - That's what I keep telling myself! but the tone does matter...
PEACE,
Phil

Problem between the keyboard and chair....
I looked at the FAQ'sand cannot seem to find how to post pictures.... Anyone have a link to the instructions?
I'm on the Bozo Bus
Billy
Billy

Postby I'm on the Bozo Bus » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:46 am

Oh well... To dumb to have a digital camera and a computer... Geez... I'm in the "industry as well.... Oh well...

Perhpas I can get you those pictures by way of a different method... Carrier pigeon perhpas...
Sorry,
PEACE,
Phil
I'm on the Bozo Bus
Billy
Billy

Postby waldo041 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:49 am

for images, you would have to host them somewhere like photobucket.com or flckr.com. then use

[img]your%20pics%20url%20here[/img].

however, the inductor TS speaks of is pictured in the second wah board on this page. it is brown with the 03 in the top, left corner.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.castledi ... z/wah.html

also, i would go with a fulltone icar pot for your replacement.

hope that helps,

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby I'm on the Bozo Bus » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:59 am

Right on Waldo, Thank you.

Mine is closest to the second from the left, "US VOX, Thomas Organ, 80's Dunlop". SOme of the caps and resistors are different.. but basically the same configuraiton.
Thank you again,
PEACE,
Phil
I'm on the Bozo Bus
Billy
Billy

Postby shakedown_04092 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:20 am

Well, just got my Garmopat modded Vox (http://www.garmopatmods.com/wahs.html#Wah%20Mod%20Options) back last night and headed down to the jamspot to try it out - ended up being down there for 2+ hours fiddling with it, tweaking, etc.

Man, there's soooo many different sounds to choose from, it's quite a diverse pedal. Tons of different ranges and micro-ranges to delve into with this thing; I can tell I'm going to messing with it, dialing it in over the next few practices. I think I've got it on a setting I like, but I'll have to wait till today to play with the band and see how it meshes.

Gary put the factory markings on the adjustable trimmers, as well as some other "jumping off points" that get you started. After messing with the bass trimmer, I decided to leave it where he had it initially, I increased the mid a little bit, and gave the volume a boost from where he had left it. I also tweaked the Q a lot; not quite all the way, but more than 3/4 I think. TOTAL CONTROL. Pretty sweet. It's nice to finally have a wah that does EXACTLY what I want it to do, not what it wants to do.

I also had him install the LED and 9V jack (both a must), as well as the bass toggle switch (3 settings: normal, slight bass increase, big bass increase) & the single/dual selector switch. I have it set to slight bass w/ the single selector (I believe) and can get a pretty nasty funkdefied swamp lead tone out of it w/ my TS's engaged. I liked that one the most. The other one I was flirting with was a rhythm wah, for something like Cities/Shakedown or just a jamming rhythm wah that wasn't too heavy or mucked up, but I can't remember the settings off the top of my head. I'll post more once I dial this baby in a lil'.

I was turned onto Gary from a guy over at the strangedesign forums and I can tell you I am very happy I had it modded - best sounding wah I've ever had and soooo many different sounds I can get out of it. For $125 for the entire mod, a very reasonable rate.

If you've got a Vox wah get it modded by this guy - you won't believe how much better it can sound until you hear it.
Last edited by shakedown_04092 on Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby mrMix » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:50 am

I tried a couple and found that the RMC Picture Wah worked best in my set up. Here's a good Wah article to check out http://analogman.com/kraft.htm
mrMix
Sitting plush with royal flush. Aces back to back...
mrMix
Brent
Brent

Postby Larree » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:55 am

Vox. Period. Why play games?
<A HREF="http://iacmusic.com/Stations/KIAC1593.htm" target="_blank">Click here to listen to my music, or add my music to your own website for free!</A>
Larree
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby warrenMFKNhaynes » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:04 am

Guys, im pretty sure jerry didnt use a pedal for his wah sound, he used some kind of auto wah, that i can not find.. any help would be great
warrenMFKNhaynes
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby Chuckles » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:01 am

warrenMFKNhaynes wrote:Guys, im pretty sure jerry didnt use a pedal for his wah sound, he used some kind of auto wah, that i can not find.. any help would be great
Depends on the era you're talking about. All those great, spacey Playin' jams in the early '70s? All done with the wah. He didn't start with the MuTron III envelope filter (auto wah) till mid-'70s (76/77?).
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:32 am

Chuckles wrote:
warrenMFKNhaynes wrote:Guys, im pretty sure jerry didnt use a pedal for his wah sound, he used some kind of auto wah, that i can not find.. any help would be great
Depends on the era you're talking about. All those great, spacey Playin' jams in the early '70s? All done with the wah. He didn't start with the MuTron III envelope filter (auto wah) till mid-'70s (76/77?).

Yes 76 for the Mu-Tron III (iirc, in 76 it was used only for Dancin'(in the DOWN mode) and less frequently for spaceouts like Other One or Playin' until winter/spring 77 when, with help from the new guitar-mounted FX loop, it fell into more regular use for the new songs Estimated, Fire, etc)... however, Jerry still used a rocker-type wah for certain things til about the early-80's, notably Greatest Story and certain PITB's.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:44 am

Larree wrote:Vox. Period. Why play games?

Looks like, somebody's parachute failed to open!! :smile:

Speaking of Parachute... the Chicago Iron Parachute wah (clone of the old Tycobrahe ParaPedal is one of the most unique wah experiences that there is... however I wouldn't recommend getting just the DIY conversions kit, because a standard wah shell (Dunlop,Vox,etc) won't have the length of pedal throw necessary. You gotta have the Parachute custom wah shell as well. I'd say these approach the throw-length (and price unfortunately) of the awesome ColorSound Jerry used in 71-73, but the sound has an extra, phase-like dimension to it.
tigerstrat

Postby alcorelectric » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:20 pm

I have a dunlop cry baby GCB 95
That I have no use for if interested.
The pot is a little scratchy, but it more than likely needs a cleaning
T
alcorelectric
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion