Dead Gear Expo

Chat about Equipment Info

Dead Gear Expo

Postby Jon S. » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:09 am

Will there ever be another?
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Re: Dead Gear Expo

Postby aiq » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:17 am

Still regret missing the last one, and I was even in south Jersey that weekend.
aiq
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby Pete B. » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:11 am

I was a fan of the San Francisco Gear Expo idea that was floating around a few years back.
Maybe local/regional/national Tribute Bands performing all weekend with various RuKind Jerry guys sitting in.
Several Tribute Guitar builders with guits to show/try/buy.
Maybe booths with guys like Brad Sarno and Waldo displaying gear to show/try/buy.
Various Speaker cab builders... iirc, I think Hard Truckers was leading/organizing the event last time.
Maybe booths for anyone who could bring their personal Jerry rig to show and others could try out.
A Mike Beigle and Richard Lingenbrg Tru-Tron / Mu-Tron booth.
Maybe a booth with Jerry guitar/amp mods being done on the spot.
Maybe some appearances by Healy, Bear, Bobby, Phil, Donna, Micky/Bill, etc???
I think Mac amps was at the last one.
I'm sure I'm missing a ton of ideas.
I know... ...'Just a Box of Rai-ain...
Last edited by Pete B. on Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete B.

Postby Jon S. » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:16 am

I would prefer East Coast, being East Coast, BUT IF there were sufficient advance notice I would go to a West Coast event (I have family in Sacramento I typically visit in the summer anyway).
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby lightningbolt » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:22 am

I hate to be the bearer....no pun intended of bad news but Bear passed away a couple of years ago.

+1 for another gear expo. I was at the first and it was small but great to get to say hello to people like Tom Lieber in person.
lightningbolt
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby Pete B. » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:40 am

lightningbolt wrote:

I hate to be the bearer....no pun intended of bad news but Bear passed away a couple of years ago.

+1 for another gear expo. I was at the first and it was small but great to get to say hello to people like Tom Lieber in person.

Yeah I was thinking that as I wrote it.... Didn't he...??? ...a coupla years ago???...
:oops: :D

Back to the Expo...
Maybe someone like Jim Irsay could bank-roll the whole thing????
Maybe have it at/near the R&R Hall of Fame? Are Jerry's rigs still there?
Pete B.

Postby waldo041 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:16 pm

Sorry but I find this a little ironic, I mean an Expo? For what? Is it not more important to test and use other gear then what they actually used and advise others looking for his tone to do the same? Or on the other hand, is it not more important to Woodshed your JG chops then worry about what actual gear they used? What would the proponent's of these philosophy's actually want or feel the need to have an Expo for?

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby mkaufman » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:19 pm

Based on my conversation with an insider, I'd say the odds are low. Things have changed with the parties involved...

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://www.advantech-ny.com/DellComputerWarranty/
mkaufman

Postby Pete B. » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:20 pm

waldo041 wrote:Sorry but I find this a little ironic, I mean an Expo? For what? Is it not more important to test and use other gear then what they actually used and advise others looking for his tone to do the same? Or on the other hand, is it not more important to Woodshed your JG chops then worry about what actual gear they used? What would the proponent's of these philosophy's actually want or feel the need to have an Expo for?

~waldo

You know what I always say... If you don't sound like Jerry with the guitar unplugged... Yo! :cool:
Coming from the Pedal Steel world where they have Conventions several times a year around the country, I know it's fun as hell to have an event like this.
Wish I a coulda made the first one.
Waldo I don't know why you get so bent out of shape over this stuff.
For what?... Buddy, we're just talking about how great it would be to have an event with all the Jerry guitar builders and amp mod'ers and cab makers and Jerry/Bobby guys all in one place for a weekend of good clean fun.
I find it ironic that you find it ironic.
Yeah baybee woo hoo! :smile:
Pete B.

Postby HeadSpace » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:28 pm

mkaufman wrote:Based on my conversation with an insider, I'd say the odds are low. Things have changed with the parties involved...

mk

What happened? Did Hard Truckers get arrested for highway robbery? Nice stuff, but please.
HeadSpace
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby tatittle » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:08 pm

Some guy that has done all kinds of research and drawn wiring schematics told me a lightweight Line 6 and a POD (maybe a cheap chorus pedal) are the way to go for a Jammer on the go. Will these products be available at the envisioned Expo?

I used to play with a really nice guy who had the crappiest amp and guitar. It got worse over time not better. While I knew him he traded his Fender squire for some horrible Korean guitar, and he excitedly reported, "its the same shape as a PRS!". When he bought a 2nd crap amp I had to stop playing with him. I tried to offer help with speaker changes etc. but he just didn't seem interested--yet he would get excited over this crap equiptment. Even if he was good (which he wasn't, but he was a nice guy) I couldn't have taken those "tones" for long. Some folks just don't have the ear to differentiate, whether that be a diminished chord from a m7b5 or a tube amp from a $60. Chinese PCB. If a great player is playing through crap I still find myself distracted by the poor tone badly. It amazes me how some folks just don't seem to hear a difference though...and some seem to be more concerned with how something looks than how it sounds. Often they spend enough to get a decent set-up, but instead of saving and getting quality, they buy some crap spur of the moment. What I cant understand is how they are emotionally drawn to the crap enough to want to buy it. Maybe its just musicians vs. hobbiests.
tatittle

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby Pete B. » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:53 am

Yeah Man, Line6, Squire, your buddy, it should be for everyone. Hobbiests and Musicians both (what's the difference again?).
The thing where you can't believe how some people can't differentiate Tone.... That's kinda how I feel about the "It's all in the hands" thing. Nice!
While we're dreamin'...
I'm guessing there will be alot of action at the Axe-Effex/Eleven-Rack booth, due to PlayingDeads success with the unit.
Maybe Bob Bralove can be there with some midi guitar rigs.
The Ground Contol Pro booth will probably do well (do they still make 'em?).
I would invite the LoopMaster guy.
Phred Instruments will probably sell alot of guitars.
Troy Post should have a booth. Andrew Olsen, Scarlet Fire guitars, etc... Alembic. Maybe Carvin Guitars can bring some DC400's.
I look forward to checking out the Old And In The Way Banjo booth, and the Pedal Steel Guitar zone. Depending on the location there could be an actual Pedal Steel Builder there. Maybe Barry Sless will play some Steel with Moonalice. I think Brad has one just like Jerry played on TYCW.
Pete Sears can bring the RuKind Doug Irwin Bass to show in the Phil Bass Gear zone.
I have noted that Takamine has been doing some demo-days lately (they had one at Guitar Trader in San Diego when i was down there recently). Maybe an acoustic guitar zone with Fishman pickups hosting. Anyone got an Ovation they can bring?
Guitar Center (or other local family oriented guitar store) could have a booth for the Squire crowd, and a stash of DiMarzios for sale.
Maybe get some of those new Fender drip edge Silverface reissues there.
There's gonna be alot of gear snobs in the house! Gotta have a Vintage Only Zone!
Just for fun... I'll put myself out on a limb and volunteer to chop heads on any inferior gear anyone wants me to play. A Liger or Squire Strat thru a Peavey???... OK :cool:
Pete B.

Postby Jon S. » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:46 am

waldo041 wrote:Sorry but I find this a little ironic, I mean an Expo? For what? Is it not more important to test and use other gear then what they actually used and advise others looking for his tone to do the same? Or on the other hand, is it not more important to Woodshed your JG chops then worry about what actual gear they used? What would the proponent's of these philosophy's actually want or feel the need to have an Expo for?

~waldo

Do you honestly not get that it's primarily about the people?
Jon S.

Postby Ross66 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:52 pm

Well said Pete I'm in on all that. I would hit that in Heartbeat all the way from KC,Missouri. :-)
Ross66
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:14 pm

I like the idea of getting to play all the guitars of the various builders ..
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion