Line level booster to run between your preamp and power amp

Chat about Equipment Info

Line level booster to run between your preamp and power amp

Postby Jon S. » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:07 pm

Few pedals can handle it. But what makest y'all of the Pigtronix Class A Boost?

A preamp that delivers up to 20db of clean boost for both instrument and line level signals.

The Pigtronix Class A Boost Guitar Effects Pedal will fatten up and boost anything you feed it. The deceptively simple design uses discreet transistors in a single-ended “Class A” configuration to achieve the warmest possible tone. This remarkable preamp can deliver up to 20db of clean boost and remains effective with both instrument and line level signals.

Superior signal to noise performance allows you to put the Class A Boost anywhere in your pedal chain. It can add punch and extra output to a classic overdrive sound and is able to push distortion pedals into extremely aggressive crunch land. Class A Boost is also ideal for hitting the front end of a tube amp to achieve an added layer of sweetness and fat tone.

This pedal runs fine on 9 volts but ships with an 18 volt adapter for superior headroom and maximum punch. Make your sound 1 louder with this handsomely dressed, J-FET masterpiece from Pigtronix.

"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Re: Line level booster to run between your preamp and power

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:48 pm

Seems like a good boost. Why would you run it (or anything else) between the pre and power amp? I'm intrigued.
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:00 pm

Edited - confusion stifled! :-)

~waldo
Last edited by waldo041 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:08 pm

Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:10 pm

thanks for the clarification! probably will edit my post to stifle an confusion.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:24 pm

hippieguy1954 wrote:Seems like a good boost. Why would you run it (or anything else) between the pre and power amp? I'm intrigued.

The idea behind this is to raise the output level of the preamp to saturate the input of the amplifier, just as you would with the boost in front of the preamp. An issue when done before the power amp is once you clip the input of the amplifier the output of the amplifier is going to be amplifying only that clipped signal and it may or may not be what you are after. The Jerry type clipping most are after is to get the output transistors to clip on their own.

~waldo
waldo041

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:39 pm

I'd like to further mod my McIntosh to clip easier at lower volume, if possible. I have done the mod to take the sentry monitor out of the circuit. That seems to make a slightly improved difference in how loud it has to be before clipping at high volumes.
I'm now trying to find out what the next step would be to accomplish this! Then we could "clip it", maN! :smile:
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:41 pm

drop me an email!

~waldo
waldo041

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:57 pm

waldo041 wrote:drop me an email!

~waldo

Ya mon!
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby Smolder » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:18 pm

So... thinking 'out of the box'... if it were a tube amp, you could do a mismatch on the speaker output. An 8 ohm load on a four ohm tap would drop the overall volume by about 30% and allow you to drive the amp hotter. Not sure if that same effect would translate to an ss mac.
Smolder

Postby Jon S. » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:07 am

It's always good to have more options and tools at our disposal. Depending on the preamp and power amp (some but far from all of us have McI's), boosting the instrument signal into the preamp may sound better or worse to us (or be more or less easy or practical) than boosting the line level out of the preamp into the power amp or modding the power amp.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion