Boost pedals

Chat about Equipment Info

Boost pedals

Postby Linkslover » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:48 pm

I've been using my blues driver as a volume booster when I switch from playing rhythm to lead during songs, but I like the idea of actually using the blues driver for the purpose it was designed for (I know. What a novel idea) which means I need some easy way of increasing my volume when I make that switch. So getting a boost pedal has been recommended to me.

I'm not looking to alter my tone, njust increase the level without having to stop playing and change my volume controls. So, I'd like to get some input from those of you who've used these pedals as to which ones I should consider. Of course, cost is a consideration.

Thanks.
Linkslover
tiger
tiger

Re: Boost pedals

Postby Lephty » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:26 pm

I've got one called the Master Blaster that I LOVE...great for taking a clean lead. Only about $100.
http://www.zinky.com/blaster.html
New member's area open at http://www.highcountryguitar.com
Ideal practice tools for improvisation
Lephty
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby PurpleTrails » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:08 pm

I use a BYOC FET PreAmp I built from a kit. It gives you a potential 26 db of boost, and incorporates a Baxandall eq, so you can subtly shape the boost or basically leave it flat. Makes my silverface twin sound huge, especially if you are running delay and other effects in a space jam. It's an easy build.
PurpleTrails
TC
TC

Postby Jon S. » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:33 pm

I use a Fulltone Fat Boost (original 1st version. The name is somewhat of a misnomer. The pedal has input and output level controls. With the input level up high, the boost fattens the sound. But with it low, it gives a clean boost. P.S. It's pretty much the same device as Jack Orman's classic Mini Booster except with the added input level and tone (passive treble rolloff) controls. The later versions (2 and 3) are different.

A guitarist friend of mine digs his BBE Boosta Grande.
Last edited by Jon S. on Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby waldo041 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:39 pm

An E/J230 StratoBlaster, but you will have to put it in an enclosure and pull the trim potentiometer for a regular one.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:19 am

Blaster works great! So does the MXR micro amp. :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby czyfingers » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:28 am

Either of these work great if you don't already have a buffer installed in your guitar, as they cover that purpose too. I have both installed in different guitars. If a preset volume increase is what your after, I'd say go with the toggle switch model. You can preset your boost to your liking and flip the switch when you want it. They're pretty close to the same electrically and functionally, (the effect of each sounds identical to my ears) but one has a toggle/internal trim pot and one is a push pull external pot. Even though the description talks about overdrive, you get clean boost until you get higher in the boost range. The advantages are; no additional pedals and even when the boost is switched off it still performs the low impedance buffer function. It doesn't take it out of the circuit, just kills the boost.
http://www.emgpickups.com/accessories/g ... .html#info
http://www.emgpickups.com/accessories/g ... st/ab.html
czyfingers
Mickey
Mickey

Postby shadowboxer » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:53 am

I recommend the James Brown/Amptweaker Tight Boost pedal. This pedal can do more than what you are looking for because it can add some grind to the mix, so it's got some versatility too.
shadowboxer
Keith
Keith

Postby Jon S. » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:02 am

hippieguy1954 wrote:So does the MXR micro amp. :smile:

It's my understanding the Micro Amp, like the Fat Boost v.1 I recommended, is also basically the Jack Orman JFET boost circuit.

And I'll bet there are many more clones (just as there are many TS clones).
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby jalevinemd » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:20 am

Can't say enough good things about the Xotic EP Booster.
jalevinemd
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:22 pm

Jon S. wrote:
hippieguy1954 wrote:So does the MXR micro amp. :smile:

It's my understanding the Micro Amp, like the Fat Boost v.1 I recommended, is also basically the Jack Orman JFET boost circuit.

And I'll bet there are many more clones (just as there are many TS clones).

I'm not familiar with with the circuitry of the micro amp compared to those you mention above. There certainly are many out there.

What I like most about the micro amp is that it only has one control. gain, like a clean boost should (in my opinion). As far as clean boost goes I feel simpler is better. Also, the micro amp doesn't color the tone up to a point.

If I want just clean boost, I like the blaster in the guitar. I use the micro amp before an over drive pedal sometimes to drive it a little more.
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby Jon S. » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:32 am

This is the Jack Orman Mini Booster. It's been well-documented that version 1 of the Fulltone Fat Boost is this + input trim and a treble rolloff (tone) controls. I've found references suggested the MXR Micro Amp is also based on Orman's circuit but I can't say that's also a documented fact.

Jon S.

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:16 pm

I see a 1995-2000 date on that schematic. I'm not sure who's was out first, his or mxr.

"The M-133 MicroAmp is a clean boost/volume pedal, part of the first Reference Series by MXR released between 1973 and 1984. The original stompbox did not have power-on LED or A/C connector. Jim Dunlop bought the MXR licensing rights and currently manufactures reissues of the classic MXR effect."
Quoted from the site below which also has the schematic, if you want to compare.
http://www.electrosmash.com/mxr-microamp
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:57 pm

The Mu-tron 3's input stage is a very nice transparent boost. It is the circuit in use when it is in its bypassed state. Granted it would need to be built and have a bipolar power supply, but it is a pretty decent effect.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:23 pm

waldo041 wrote:The Mu-tron 3's input stage is a very nice transparent boost. It is the circuit in use when it is in its bypassed state. Granted it would need to be built and have a bipolar power supply, but it is a pretty decent effect.

~waldo

That seems very interesting!
Jim

hippieguy1954

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion