New Wolf/Tiger options from Lieber

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: New Wolf/Tiger options from Lieber

Postby KCJones » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:20 pm

Mr.Burns wrote:Umm, so are they bolt-ons? I've never seen a neck plate and a purpleheart core on the same guitar before. Looks a little strange, like there was something not right about the guitars aesthetically and I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was at first.

Yes, it is a bolt on. Aesthetically what your referring to is what looks to be a fast-made, possibly a mass production job. The routing/bevel edges seem a bit off. No special body finish, no special brass appointments, or inlays. Retails for $4,200; that's laughable. You could get a Carvin or Warmoth bolt-on Kit and do as good a job yourself for less than a 1/4 of the price I'd guess.

Wonder what species of Peltogyne (Purple Heart) it is; many of its species are threatened or endangered. May be a Peltogyne veneer.
KCJones
Billy
Billy

Location: Kansas City, MO via Buffalo NY, San Diego CA, San Jose CA and Wash DC

Postby tcsned » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:01 pm

I'm not in the market for a new guitar but his price, while kinda high, isn't that out of line with a lot of other small operations selling Strat and Tele copies and other bolt neck guitars. Yeah, a lot of guys out there are making some great Jerry guitars for about what he's selling these pretty stripped-down guitars and you can make one yourself a lot cheaper, I've done it. But I'd have to say, his Tiger body shape seems more dead-on than any of the others I've seen out there. None of us has played one of these - nor have I heard a review from anyone who owns one of his guitars.I thought Anderson Teles were way overpriced for a tele copy with no real special wood till I actually played one . . .
tcsned

Postby softmachine72 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:38 am

For $ 3200 you can have one of these. Neck through construction,4A quilted top, Waldo Buffer circuit, Ivory inlays, marquetry , Lafayette knobs,any one of 3 pickup configurations, sterling sliver dots and name plate, ect .
Scarlet Fire Guitars
http://s1027.photobucket.com/albums/y337/softmachine72/
softmachine72
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby cincinnatiohio » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:40 am

i know there are great builders here, and i know i am technically a newbie here... but regarding Lieber;

i have spoken with him many times and am pondering purchasing a wolf style. he is willing to discuss anything basically, answer any insane questions i have and do anything anyone else would probably ask. i don't understand why people dog Lieber.... i mean, where's the complaint about a $3-4k hand-built guitar? i see machine mass produced les pauls and such in catalogs all day long for $2,500... $3,000.... so for a few hundred more dollars you can get a handmade guitar made by a luthier with vast experience.

i don't understand the complaints. i mean aesthetics aside, which let's be honest- are only opinion, he has probably the most experience of any builder around on here... almost 40 years i think!
cincinnatiohio
tiger
tiger

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion