Desolation Row

Chat about Equipment Info

Desolation Row

Postby caspersvapors » Mon May 22, 2006 9:02 pm

did Jerry ever sing this tune w/ JGB or was it strictly a Bob tune? Id love to hear Jerry sing it. song is long as hell though
caspersvapors

Postby shakedown_04092 » Tue May 23, 2006 7:53 am

I've only ever heard Bob singing it, and although I'm not sure, Jerry may have "co-sung it" with Dylan when he played with the boys back in '87.
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby jck_strw » Tue May 23, 2006 8:04 am

I think you answered your own question---it's a long song. Jerry would never have remembered all the lyrics to that. ;)

Seriously though, I don't think he ever did it. You can check here for a list of songs that Jerry performed (non-Dead):

http://www.thejerrysite.com/new-index.jsp
http://db.etree.org/jck_strw - Tapelist
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby strumminsix » Tue May 23, 2006 9:42 am

how come bob would nail desolation, but fuck up truckin'?

:?
strumminsix

Postby ebick » Tue May 23, 2006 9:53 am

Jerry once commented that he found it easier to remember lyrics to cover tunes than Dead tunes.
ebick

Postby tigerstrat » Tue May 23, 2006 10:16 am

strumminsix wrote:how come bob would nail desolation, but fuck up truckin'?

Because Truckin' tends to get tongue-twisty: "Typicalcityinvolvedinatypicaldaydream", and especially "Mostofthecatsthatyoumeetonthestreetspeakoftruelove"

But to be fair to ol' Jer, he did pretty well with even the pre-teleprompter versions of Visions of Johanna (I learned the lyrics many years ago off of the Hampton '86 one), which has many verses, although they go by a little more slowly.

Also, JG would harmonize on the penultimate line of some of the later verses in DRow sometimes. There's a spectacular one from Alpine 89.

I think part of a possible explanation for him having a harder time remembering GD songs, is that the musical arrangements were frequently quite complex, with elusive groove pockets and often flirting with the edge of technical limitations. At least that's when I begin to screw up words I've had running thru my head for decades!!
tigerstrat

Postby caspersvapors » Tue May 23, 2006 1:02 pm

strumminsix wrote:how come bob would nail desolation, but fuck up truckin'?

I bet he would space out in that tune since hes sang it hundreds of times before
caspersvapors

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion