... and from first set 4-16 (monster bass player content)

Chat about Equipment Info

... and from first set 4-16 (monster bass player content)

Postby playingdead » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:27 pm

Got through the first set tracks from our gig on 4-16-11 and added them to archive.org

http://www.archive.org/details/pd2011-0 ... hnnydsset2

For some reason, the first set tracks are after the second set ones, can't figure out how to reorder them in the player.

We had John Brigham sitting in on bass ... he is just a damn monster on the bass. Check out the jam out of Shakedown (6:00 minutes and on) and the nice Pigpen rave on Good Lovin' ... he is just laying it DOWN. I was getting all distracted listening to him on the other side of the stage.

Decent Jack Straw, and a panicked moment when Jimbo decided on the spot that he wanted to do the "old" version of Minglewood (a la 1967) ... it's in C instead of A, and we screwed up the beginning, predictably. Had to figure out the riff onstage before we started. But it rocked.
playingdead

Re: ... and from first set 4-16 (monster bass player content

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:31 pm

I posted to the archive and a player never showed up. But I did upload in WAV but the site makes copies in MP3 or supposed to. I don't know what I did. I uploaded some WAVs and the player showed up, then uploaded more and it disappeared. Silly Archive.

Great stuff as usual, our bass player will appreciate it. Thanks..
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby playingdead » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:01 pm

If you create your original files as WAV files, then create FLAC files and upload only those, it seems to work seamlessly, generates the VBR MP3 and Ogg Vorbis files, then populates the players.

I think my problem is I uploaded the second set files first, and the player sees them that way despite changing the track order in the edit windows.

I think I might call my new all original band Ogg Vorbis, come to think of it.
playingdead

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:22 pm

It will eventually re-order them if you follow their naming convention. Might have to re-derive.

Also be patient, I've seen lots of server problems there lately so it initially looks like my stuff didn't work correctly.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby jester536 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:56 pm

I was listening to this earlier...noticed the rest of the set had been uploaded. Just started listening to the beginning again. Had the headphones on and all I kept thinking was...who the hell is playing bass? Great sounding stuff...I listened to the Morning Dew yesterday. I was floored. The lead just keeps building and building...wow. I'll be sure to listen to the rest soon. Thanks for sharing.
If the thunder don't getcha then the lightning will!
http://www.reverbnation.com/unchartedwaters
jester536
Bear
Bear

Postby playingdead » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:33 am

Can anyone suggest a filter setting to remove string noise from the bass track? He's got a pretty bright tone, especially on the higher notes. I want to remove the finger noise but not affect the overall tone of the bass, if you know what I mean. Shelving filter? Parametric EQ? Lowpass?
playingdead

Postby JamminJommy » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:43 am

You could try having the bass output to two or more different Buses. While a lowpass would work, it would diminish the overall tone of the bass (overtones and what not). I would suggest EQ applied to the main mix to taste as best as possible and then setting up two Buses that will essentially act like crossovers. Use one ch. to bring out the boom and the other to tame the twang, then balance the now 3 tracks to taste. That should help.

With this method, the original track tends to be the lowest in the mix, followed by the "Hi" track, then the "Low."

Does that make sense?

Peace,

Jommy
Strangers stopping strangers, just to shake their hand.

http://www.youtube.com/user/theuncommonsenseband
JamminJommy
Mickey
Mickey

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion