Let's Talk Amps (again...)

Chat about Equipment Info

Let's Talk Amps (again...)

Postby mkaufman » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:04 pm

Still searching for the right amp. The options seem endless....

I play Ibanez-era Bobby. I need a very clean amp that will allow me to be loud enough, yet retain the glassy, almost crystalline sound from my poor-man's Cowboy. I've tried a number of amps - the best to my ears so far is my Fender Showman Reverb TFL5000D (Fender Twin) head. Problem is that unless I'm playing outside, I really don't need that powerful an amp - I probably never go past 3 on the volume dial. I suspect at that volume, I'm not hearing the amp in all its glory.

My sound has lots of upper mids & highs. I need an amp that won't sound harsh when loud. Of course, this could be a function of the speaker too, so please recommend a speaker that's best-suited for the task. With most amps I have tried, I have found that when increasing the volume, the mids overtake the highs and the glassy nature of my sound is lost. That's no good.

Some other considerations:

- I'm small and can't carry heavy equipment. I'm (very) open to a head plus cabinet solution.

- Although I like the Fender tube sound, I'm still testing a solid state solution (ie: IVP -> power amp). Problem is that I don't currently own a solid state power amp.

- I've heard lots of negative talk regarding 70's (?) Fender amps with a master volume. I recently sold my MusicMan HD-130 head (probably shouldn't have...) and I really liked the master volume as it made the amp very flexible, plus, this amp sounded great. Seems like an amp with a master volume would allow me to play clean or dirty (for non-Bobby roles).

- I currently use a JBL M31-4 speaker in an open-backed cab. This speaker is supposedly a 4 ohm version of the 15" JBL D130F, however, I saw a "K" written somewhere on the speaker, so it may have been reconed as a K130? Would a K speaker not be a good match for me?

In summary: clean sounding, portable solution with no ice-pick highs, loud enough for smaller clubs and still glassy when loud.

Should be easy, right?

tnx,
mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Re: Let's Talk Amps (again...)

Postby JonnyBoy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:20 pm

Have you tried an AC30?

I agree, I also think that the master vol is not biggie, I think it was a mark of when they changed the circuitry in the amp even farther away from the blackface specs. But I think it is useful too. come to think of it, I use a pre and mac right now with the same kind of thing, turn down the power section turn up the pre or vise versa. It doesn't detract from the jerry tone.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby squire758 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:51 pm

I agree, you should really check out an ac30. All around great sounding powerful amps. The only thing that would ever replace my twin. Everytime I play at a certain bar, I always use the one thats there :-)
squire758
Jester
Jester

Postby squire758 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:58 pm

oh yea and for the volume/natural overdrive issue, try pulling tubes to weaken the amp a bit and it should get to that stage much easier. On mine in the bedroom I put it on output low, and pull two of the tubes and it sounds great, I even did exactly that playing out before and loooovvvveeedd the sound, I finally got to overdrive a twin to the sound I bought it for in a room of 75 people. But to be fair I really should be using a Deluxe reverb for my application, and maybe that'd be good for you too
squire758
Jester
Jester

Postby jdsmodulus » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:54 am

I played am AC30 the other day (as Bob) with my off the shelf Tele. 2 drummers and keys,bass and JG (Dan), this rig was fine and I was able to get a very nice tone at loud levels and soft levels. I would buy this amp if I could afford it. How nice it would be to have a simple amp and guitar setup. Also, I would suggest the SMS Classic with a smaller PA and a 1x12, JBL or TT. This would be a light and small rig that would rival any combo out there. The SMS is not just a JG amp! That pre sounds great!
jdsmodulus

Postby mkaufman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:59 am

jdsmodulus wrote:with a smaller PA

?

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby mkaufman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:00 am

Never tried an AC30 and know nothing about them. Looks like there are about 8,000 versions? Is this another case of vintage vs. reissue?

mk

mkaufman

Postby jdsmodulus » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:11 am

mkaufman wrote:Never tried an AC30 and know nothing about them. Looks like there are about 8,000 versions? Is this another case of vintage vs. reissue?

mk

I meant Power Amp, and the amp I played was somewhat new from GC.
jdsmodulus

Postby strumminsix » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:16 am

Have you considered an SMS + poweramp?
strumminsix

Postby hogan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:31 am

the key to having usable options is a power amp, a power amp that isn't tied into an amp's circuit.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby strumminsix » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:57 am

hogan wrote:the key to having usable options is a power amp, a power amp that isn't tied into an amp's circuit.

+1 My new rack rig will be a SMS + either Mesa 20/20 or Tubeworks 1160.
strumminsix

Postby tcsned » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:45 am

mkaufman wrote:Never tried an AC30 and know nothing about them. Looks like there are about 8,000 versions? Is this another case of vintage vs. reissue?

mk

yeah, I think they make 2 versions - I think just different speakers. They're all basically the same amp from what I've seen - I played through a new one and thought it was pretty sweet. Certainly a different tone than the Fender or Boogies or the boutique clones. Rivera makes a some really cool versatile amps too that aren't outrageously expensive.
tcsned

Postby squire758 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:22 am

im afraid for alot of Vox enthusiasts, it is indeed another battle of vintage/reissue. I may just be a crazy irishman, but Im a believer that in a blindfolded taste test, most people would guess wrong what they are plugged into :?
squire758
Jester
Jester

Postby FretfulDave » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:08 pm

I recently got an Egnater Rebel 30 that I am liking quite a bit. I haven't cranked it but it is supposed to stay clean. 30 watts, has nice tone. EL84 and 6V6 mixed power section (2 of each) with a knob to adjust more towards either pair of tubes. I am running it on total mix and notice a nice tonal difference from having all EL84s. I think Guitar Center may carry them. Might be worth checking one out.

Dave
The river keeps a talkin'
FretfulDave
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Dozin » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:36 pm

When I play the poor mans cowboy it sounds great through the Dean Markley in a room by myself. However, with the band cranked up it looses that sparkle. When I play it through a Mesa studio and a Crest power amp I like it a lot. I'd like to find a combo that can maintain the same as the Mesa setup.

MK do you still have your Mark IV combo?
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion