Carvin amps?

Chat about Equipment Info

Carvin amps?

Postby vwjodyme » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:47 am

Anyone own/play one? Input on cleans?
People seem to focus on the gain settings instead of the cleans in the demos - like most amp reviews 10 secs strumming clean and 5 min on high gain :?
vwjodyme

Re: Carvin amps?

Postby JonnyBoy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:06 pm

since no one jumped in with a first hand deal, a boutique amp guy here speaks highly of them. When I was looking for one he went on and on about their quality v's price, but he plays harder stuff than the dead. But if guys can use Mesa's I can't imagine a Carvin being a distortion only amp. To have good distortion tone I would think the clean tone needs to be good too... :?:
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby vwjodyme » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:02 am

Thanks JB!
I have read that some people consider them to be sort of like mesa's, but half the price. thought i remembered seeing some poeple on here that use them..maybe not tho.
they just released a new mini head so hopefully more reviews will pop up in the coming days
vwjodyme

Postby strumminsix » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:04 am

I've heard a few and think they sound fine. What are you looking for?
strumminsix

Postby KCJones » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:15 am

Not sure if your referring to me, but I'm a Mesa and A Fuchs owner both of which I own not just for their high gain ability but also for their clean tones, especially the Fuchs. Anyhow, I'm very familiar with the Carvin Vintage Series, specifically the Belair 2x12. My friend owns one and I've played it many times. It is as their description on their website decscribes. It is a great all around amp. Although its power section is EL84 based, I would compare this Belair to a Twin any day and I'd think you'd be surprised. And No, Carvin isn't necessarily known as a High Gain amp manufacturer, but they do make a few different series of amps each with their own character.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BELAIR
KCJones
Billy
Billy

Location: Kansas City, MO via Buffalo NY, San Diego CA, San Jose CA and Wash DC

Postby vwjodyme » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:20 am

i was thinking the new v3m mini head--smaller version of their v3. seems to be one of the only "lunch box"s with reverb and effects loop. plus it has adjustable wattage (7, 22, 50) which is what i am looking for--can play at home or with buds, and if i ever get confident enough in my playing i'll have the 50 :lol:
vwjodyme

Postby strumminsix » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:28 am

vwjodyme wrote:i was thinking the new v3m mini head--smaller version of their v3. seems to be one of the only "lunch box"s with reverb and effects loop. plus it has adjustable wattage (7, 22, 50) which is what i am looking for--can play at home or with buds, and if i ever get confident enough in my playing i'll have the 50 :lol:

Ah, okay cool! For those situations I like a Master volume amp. Those look sweet though!
strumminsix

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion